I need to exchange a mattress by Friday (3-Dec-2021) and need some help

Hello everyone,

I’m in a bit of a bind and need to select a new mattress by Friday. To make a long story short, my wife and I were experiencing some lower-to-mid back pain with our old mattress (Ikea Sultana mattress with a Costco memory foam topper) After bit of research, we made the decision to try a firm mattress to see if that would alleviate our pain. We bought our first replacement mattress from Sleep Country in Canada and that was the Serta TempActiv1. After about a month of use, that one made our back pain worse and we exchanged it with a Dormeo 1. We tried the Dormeo for another month and the back pain was even worse than with the Serta, even while trying to soften it up by walking on it a few nights. We contacted Sleep Country again and they gave us a bit of an ultimatum: we could only exchange the mattress one more time. They do not do refunds.

So now, we are left with a few options:

1. Keep the current Dormeo 1 and add the old foam topper to help with the back pain. This seems to help a little bit but not 100%. Plus, I’m a bit miffed that after spending $2000 on a new mattress that we are still relying on a foam topper which doesn’t fully alleviate our original pain problem.
  2. We could go with a softer level of the Dormeo mattresses or even an entirely different model altogether. I’ve read that the Tempur-Pedic mattresses tend to have better reviews than the Dormeo mattresses but my wife didn’t like the sinking feeling when she tried the mattress in the store. I’m personally indifferent to it.
  3. We could go back to our old mattress and give the new Dormeo to our kids or try to sell it ourselves.

Some personal information:
Wife is 5’5" and about 120 lbs, mostly a side sleeper.
I’m 5’10" and about 185 lbs, 50/50 split between side sleeping and back sleeping + severe apnea.

Any recommendations would be appreciated but we are limited to purchasing a mattress model available at Sleep Country only.

Thanks!

Hi JL9977.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear you’re not having success softening up your sleeping experience on your Dormeo bed. Without knowing the specifications of that bed, any foam ILD/IFDs, etc. it’s hard to say why you may be experiencing back pain but this forum topic could be useful to you in identifying what may be the root cause.

While hearing others opinions can be useful, we always caution people to stay away from reviews when looking to purchase a mattress. People often review mattresses far too early after receiving them, and reviews lack specific information about all the variables that can contribute to the suitability of a mattress (like details about the person and the mattress) that would make them more meaningful/accurate. We also suggest reading about the dangers of making a purchase based on reviews here.

You also mentioned your sleeping positions - this is super useful in identifying your ideal comfort layer. We have a resource that speaks to the needs of different sleeping positions here.

While I’m sorry that I cannot make a specific recommendation, I hope some of the above resources help you to narrow your choices and make a decision that best fits your needs.

NikkiTMU