I picked the Aloe Alexis now need HELP to figure out layering?

Hi rob2121,

Based on “averages” … I think you should be fine. Of course personal experience may not always agree with “theory” so I hope you have the chance to report back when you receive it but one of the big advantages of the Aloe Alexis is that you still have very good options to customize or “fine tune” the mattress after your purchase as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Any word yet ???

Ya came in yesterday! I went with 32ild bottom layers and 4lb memory foam on top. I also have 19ild top to swap out… Glad I went with the 32ild at least hope thats what it is! Because the edges dont feel too supportive. Feel like Im going to role off side a little and when Im near them they are saggy out more than other mattresses i have tried. The top layers mattress kind of sags out. I feel there should be soem type of edge support made to tie together the bottom layer with the 2 top layers. Maybe a thin hard foam 1/4 inch that you unzipp top and it slides down the sides. Kinda like a hard foam gasket that you scan just slide around the perimeter.

I dont think im an all latex person. I took off the 19ild and prefer the 4lb memory foam on top. I just dont like all latex i guess. The free pillows were all latex but i didnt like them soo as i put my head on one.
Overall I like the bed so far with memoray foam top and 32ild latex belwo. BUT top sides tend to push out.

Also i got the brooklyn bedding mattress protector which i dont like. I think its a little flimsy and its not loud but does make a rubbing sound so i put my old one on bed.

So i have to figure out if they take back the 19ild as i wont be using it!

Hi rob2121,

Thanks for the update and feedback … I appreciate it.

Most foam mattresses (with a few exceptions) don’t have or need edge support but for those that sleep with their weight on the outside few inches it can certainly be a preference. There is more about edge support with foam mattresses in post #33 here and post #3 here. Your top layer is also quite soft for your body type which can also make a difference.

There are a few other forum members that have mentioned that they prefer a memory foam latex combination for their comfort layers vs two latex layers so you are not alone in having that as a preference.

Phoenix

The 19ild top ayer felt like i was going to roll out teh bed. So I put the memoray foam over the 32ild instead. Its better. But it wierd. I t feels kinda pressure point like with that cover. Its not a soft foam like the TEMPUR Weightless. Actually think I like that TEMPUR mattress better although it obvious the base layer inst has good as the ALEXIS. My girlfriend around 135 even complain and asked my about the edges and said last mattress the TEMPUR has better edge support. I also slept very hot for some reason. I thought with the wool cover bled i would sleep cool, but i woke up sweating and it was only about 55 degree last night with no heat on!

Hi rob2121,

Some people sleep warm on any kind of memory foam (especially if it’s a softer and thicker layer) and your sheets and mattress protector may also be contributing to your sleeping temperature as well. There is more about the factors that can affect sleeping temperature in post #2 here.

I would probably give any new mattress a minimum of about 2 weeks so it has a chance to break in and you have a chance to adjust to a new sleeping surface and then if you still want to make changes to the mattress it would be a good idea to talk with them about the type of changes and the options you have that may bring you closer to the “feel” you are looking for. Your mattress also has a thicker memory foam layer which may also be part of the reason for the difference you feel in edge support. My previous reply here listed the materials in the weightless mattresses and as you can see your mattress has much higher quality materials but the designs and layers are also quite different so it’s not surprising that it feels different for you.

Hopefully your experience will change over the next few weeks as the mattress breaks in but if not and you need to make changes I’ll be interested in what you decide to change after talking with them and of course your feedback after you’ve slept on it as well.

Phoenix

Im waking up with sore muscles is neck shoulder area when i sleep on my side and my arm goes numb. So something causing pressure?

So far I think the thin polyfoam layer in the cover and the gel foam which to me has always been lil harder than regular 4lb mem foam is mitigating the surface pressure relief.

Hi rob2121,

There is more about the different “symptoms” that people may experience on a mattress and some of the possible causes for them in post #2 here and the posts it links to. What you are describing would most likely be related to either the thickness/softness of the comfort layers or a pillow issue.

There is no specific firmness that is specific to 4 lb gel memory foams (or any memory foam) because any density can be made in a range of firmness levels (see post #9 here and post #8 here for more about the different properties of different memory foams) but a quilting layer or any layer or material over memory foam can certainly affect how it feels and performs because it will affect the amount of heat that reaches the memory foam and will also add its own properties to the comfort layers. Thicker layers over memory foam will have more effect on it than thinner layers. For some people these types of combination would be beneficial and for others it would be detrimental depending on their preferences.

Phoenix

I had to send this email to Brooklyn Bedding today. :frowning:

"[quote]
Hello,

I been trying set up a return on an extra topper since May 23 214 and and exchange on another. On May 23 2014 Mario started I can mail in extra topper and get credit, but I stated I needed a box and RMA for return and never got one. I emailed him on July 27 2014 no repose. On Aug 6 2014I email your contact system stating i need set up a return and exchange on mattress layer. Nobody responded. Last week I called to 800 number several times before i reached Mario by phone on the 800 number purchase line and informed him i wanted to set up return because mattress wasn’t working out. I wanted a thin zip off top for the Aloe Alexis but Mario stated that could not be provided but could send whole zip mattress cover at no cost even exchage for the extra mattress layer i wasn’t using. He said I had until Sept. 21 2014 to return everything but try this first. I never received this cover. I also wanted to exchange a mattress layer 32 ild for 28ild but he said the one i had was good and try it with cover which i never received. Not sure how a zip cover would really change how a 32ild layer would feel though. At this point i want to return everything because I haven’t been able to exchange any layers and return the one i wanted to. I have been give run around and will be posting my experience on mattress underground."
[/quote]

Hi rob2121,

Every once in a while there is a post on the forum that is “very odd” and I think that your’s qualifies as one of these.

I called Brooklyn Bedding (I always call any manufacturer that I know when a post like yours appears on the forum) to find out what may be happening and while I’m certainly not clear about what is behind your email, the issues you are having, or your motive for writing it, it certainly doesn’t reflect what has been happening.

As you know they have been in constant contact with you and I know that Mario also gave you his personal number for you to contact him whenever you need to.

There has also never been an issue with exchanging a layer or returning your topper or the mattress itself and you have been provided with instructions on how to do so (they have given you the number to call MXD which looks after their returns so that you can schedule a pickup and return the mattress and the topper) but they haven’t received anything back from you yet.

The Alexis doesn’t come with a thin zip off cover or have a “cover exchange” so I’m not sure what you are referring to with this part of your email.

I think that the underlying issue is that you have been trying to duplicate the “feel” of one of the Tempurpedic mattresses but of course the Alexis is a different mattress completely and that wouldn’t be possible.

I also know that if anything is clear about Brooklyn Bedding after all the feedback on this forum and elsewhere around the internet from thousands of customers that have dealt with them it’s that they aren’t in the business of giving their customers the “run around” as you put it and that their service and guidance is among the best in the industry. I’m really not sure what more you are expecting them to do than they have already done.

I realize that you are unhappy with your mattress (which is possible with any online purchase) and you want to return it so it’s great that they have a return policy that lets you do so as a “final resort” if none of your other options work out for you but there has never been a lack of communication between you or any “run around” that has prevented you from either returning the extra layer or the mattress itself and all you need to do is arrange for it to be picked up and send it back to them.

Phoenix

Hello Rob 2121,

I wanted to reach out to you here, I am not sure why you are explaining that you have not been able to get in contact with anyone at our company. I do remember having a conversation with you via telephone just about a week ago. From my understanding we had gotten everything sorted out. If I am incorrect, and you have not yet been contacted please contact me as I had also provided you with my direct contact number at the time of our conversation last week. I will include my direct number below encase it was lost or misplaced. It is my number one priority to make sure that all of our customers are happy with their experience with our company.

Best Regards
Mario
Brooklyn Bedding

I thought this was a forum of unbiased reviews. I posted my experience and it appears obviously Phoenix you must be associated with Brooklyn bedding in some way to take their word as absolute. I’m shocked at someone who claims to give unbiased on this forum automatically stand by Brooklyn bedding without knowing any facts. I never sad their product was bad or anything like that. I posted my experience. I have several emails directly to Mario that never were responded to and he NEVER gave me his direct number until he posted it here. Otherwise I would called it and spoke with him and not posted here. I can easily demonstrate he dint reply to several emails. Over a course of 2 months. So not sure why my experience is being labeled as odd or a lie. I’m sure occasionally people slip through the cracks maybe I was one of them. BUT to insinuate I’m not being truthful I take personally and have no problem privately calling you and forwarding you my emails that where never respond to.

Hi rob2121,

This forum and this site has never been and never will be a typical “review site” and has always been about helping to educate and inform consumers about making the best possible mattress choice. While feedback is always welcome (including yours) … if it includes information that isn’t completely accurate or is misleading (intentionally or otherwise) then “unbiased” means that it will also be replied to just like any other comments on the forum that may be misleading or incomplete. The goal is to have a more “balanced” approach which means that I take everything into account when I make the comments I do … and not just the comments made by a single anonymous member that may not represent all sides of the story. My goal is always to use the posts in the forum as part of the information and education process that can help other members who will read it to avoid making the same “mistakes” or having the same experience with their own purchase … regardless of where they buy it from.

When a member here makes allegations about a reputable company (whether they are a member here or not) that contradicts the experiences of thousands of other customers over a long period of time or makes allegations that can’t be substantiated about the “motives” or “ethics” of a company (such as “giving you the runaround”), or only includes part of the story and excludes the parts that contradict what they are saying, then I certainly don’t just assume that what they are saying is completely accurate because there is almost always another side to the story which also needs to be included for the benefit of others that read your comments as well. The “tone” of your comments could also be because you misunderstood some of the information that was given to you previously but there are also cases where a customer’s expectations about what a business “should do” or “can do” are unreasonable or unrealistic and then they sometimes react to what they think “should have happened” instead of what “can happen” based on the policies of the company they purchased from that they agreed to when they made their purchase. There are also some less common cases where a consumer may be more focused on causing harm to the reputation of a reputable business than they are in resolving their issues no matter what a company tries to do for them because they want others to feel the way they do or believe that their experiences or expectations or their opinions should also apply to others as well.

When I talked with Brooklyn Bedding they were very familiar with your situation which clearly indicates that you have been talking with them over the course of time and as recently as during during the last week. There clearly hasn’t been a lack of communication or they wouldn’t have known what they knew about your current circumstances.

You indicted that you are “waiting” for an RMA and a box with your mattress topper but you also said they had already given you the instructions to return your topper and receive a credit on May 23rd. Their return policy for toppers (which would apply to one of your layers) is 30 days and their exchange/return policy for a mattress or individual layers is 120 days. They have also given you the instructions that you need to return the mattress as well. In other words … it seems that they are waiting for you … not the other way around.

You also allege that they are “giving you the runaround” when there is nothing in your comments or in the information that I’m aware of that would indicate that this is accurate and from what you posted they would certainly have no reason to do so when any business knows that this would cause more harm than good and would be pointless. You also indicated that you were waiting for long periods of time to communicate with them but your time frames also don’t make sense to me. If you email a company and for some reason you haven’t received a reply in a day or two at most then it’s quite likely that the email has gone astray (either yours or their reply may have gone to a junk mail folder) and if this happens I would either call them or use the chat system on their website. I certainly wouldn’t wait weeks before trying again. Your last post here was on May 27th when there was still plenty of time to either return your topper or to exchange a layer. I don’t understand why you waited until July 27th before you tried to contact them again (at this point the exchange and return policy for your topper would be expired) or when you didn’t connect with them waited until August 6th and then again last week to try once again. There was also no further comments on the forum that indicated that you were having any issues until you posted your email to them on the forum yesterday. I’m sure if you were to look at this from a distance and weren’t personally involved and this was someone else that it would also seem somewhat unusual and “incomplete” to you as well.

You “threatened” and implied in your email that you would be posting a negative review on this site (which you did) for something that they believed had already been resolved (when you received the instructions about how to return your mattress or your topper) which indicates to me that not only did you somehow misunderstand what you have already been told about returning both your topper and your mattress but that you were more interested in “pressuring” them into complying with your expectations that may not have been either reasonable or possible than you were with following the instructions that were provided about returning your mattress and topper. Even the previous posts and replies in this topic indicate that you may have been aiming for a result that had a good chance that it may not turn out as well as you hoped for and that you may have been better off with a mattress that was more likely to be a closer “match” to the Tempurpedic mattress that you were using as a reference point and would be more suitable for you but of course you can only know this by sleeping on your mattress. While another member had a very good experience a similar mattress to the one you ordered that was very different from your own … and this may have been part of the reason for the choices you made … other people’s experiences can be very different from your own.

Unbiased doesn’t mean “anything goes” or that unsubstantiated allegations made by anonymous members that only include “part of the story” or that contain allegations or information that aren’t likely to be completely correct will be unchallenged. This is a two way street where all the members have equal say whether they are a consumer or a manufacturer. “The customer is always right” doesn’t apply here". Just as you are free to post about your experiences … anyone else is free to make comments about them and the information that you post. This is what “unbiased” really means although many consumers “translate” unbiased into meaning a site that only favors a consumer’s POV or that doesn’t question what they post. While it’s always possible that someone can “slip through the cracks” as you say … they (or any other good manufacturer or retailer) have absolutely no reason to single you out for a different type of treatment than any of their other customers if what you are asking for is inside their policies and even now you still have the chance to return your mattress under the terms of their return policy and as far as I understand they are waiting for you to do so.

Part of the “risk” of any online purchase is that for a minority of people it may not turn out as well as you hoped for and this is the reason that a good exchange or return policy can be important and needs to be “factored in” to the value of a mattress purchase. Everyone’s goal and the ideal end result of any mattress purchase is to have the best possible outcome where everyone is happy with the purchase and to do what is possible to make that happen. For a small minority of people this can sometimes mean that you may need to return the mattress.

You had the foresight to buy a mattress and a topper that has good options available after a purchase to either exchange layers or return the mattress and the topper within the terms of their return policy and if this is the position you are in then that’s just the way that things turn out on rare occasions and the ability to do so is part of the “value” of your purchase.

Phoenix

Is it possible that the company DID respond via email, but that for some reason the emails were not getting to their intended destination, or getting caught in a spam filter or being diverted to a junk mail box? If that were the case, then both parties would be telling the truth from their perspective. If the company was responsive but the customer didn’t get the responses, it would be understandable that each side would think that the other was being uncooperative, when in reality both were trying to work with each other. And, if there was some miscommunication on the phone that left each under the impression that the other was going to send them something before moving to the next step, and they never received what they were expecting, that could explain why neither party got the things they were waiting for. Just some food for thought. Miscommunication (or not getting messages at all) can certainly create negative impressions on both sides. Now that there’s an option for more direct phone conversation, perhaps there could be a more productive discussion that could resolve the situation to everyone’s satisfaction (or at least try, even if it turn out that this bed just isn’t going to work out). To prevent future misunderstandings, summarizing whatever agreement is reached at the end of the conversation can help to ensure that everyone has the same understanding of who is to do what and when it will be done.

Normally I wouldn’t comment on something that’s really none of my business, but as a forum reader, it’s unsettling to see a situation escalate, and for negative judgments to be made that may simply be a result of a series of unfortunate circumstances. The company seems quite willing to talk about whatever the issue is and to try and make it right, and the customer now has a direct line to get past whatever communication barriers were preventing resolution before. There’s some real potential for everyone to come out with a satisfactory resolution (or at least make give it a good shot), as long as negative feelings (that may or may not be justified) can be put aside.

Hi a2dox,

Well said … and I completely agree with you :slight_smile:

Emails going to junk email folders (or being filtered out completely) is a relatively common situation which is why I always suggest following up within a day or two on the phone or a live chat if an email isn’t answered.

As you mentioned … the door is open to resolving any issues and whenever any issues come up after a purchase then the best possible resolution is always the most important goal.

Phoenix

Hello Rob 2121,

I tried reaching out to you this morning via telephone at 7:11am and I keep getting a busy signal. I was returning your call that I missed from yesterday at approximately 2:08pm, I do apologize. Feel free to call me as I will be available today till 6pm this afternoon and would like to help you get this resolved. I have tried via email as well and this seems to be the only way I am able to reach you. Feel free to call me at your convenience and I would be happy to help you.

Best Regards,
Mario
Brooklyn Bedding

Hi Mario I been trying get hold try to settle final exchange credit. Its been 2 months please check you emails.

Hi rob2121,

You may be better off to call him. He may not be checking the forum here on a regular basis so it probably wouldn’t be the best way to try and contact him.

Phoenix

Hello Rob2121,

I have checked my business/business email as well as our company email and I cannot find your emails I apologize. I am available by phone if you would like to call me to have this resolved. If for some reason I do not answer please leave me a message and I will return your call within 30 minutes. It is possible you may be having an issue sending an email to our company. The email is setup through a dedicated server. I am also not able to look up your order based on your MU username so I would need more information and I would be happy to have this processed for you. Also please call me and I would be happy to give you a personal email address to contact me in the future. Phoenix is correct in stating that we do not check the forum on a daily basis so it may delay the time getting back to you. I am happy to help in any way I am able to but I prefer you try and contact me directly.

Regards,
Mario
Brooklyn Bedding

This mattress killing my back making back issue hurt more and my girlfriends that does have back issues. I end up keeping it because just too much money into it after exchanging layers would be another $200 to return.

So right now have 32ild latex over 5lb gel foam and switched both back kills me when on this bed. Soon as I get up and walk around for 5 min pain starts going away or if i sleep on my sofa No pain. Sofa pretty sure a cheap poly-foam, but its pretty firm around same as 32ild latex. So not sure what to do? order 28ild latex put on top of 32ild latex? Would 3’ 28ild latex be more supportive than 3’ 5lb memory foam.

I dont get it!? my parents cheap spring mattress feels better when i took a nap there over the holiday No back pain.adn my gitlfreidn complaining to she getting pain ?