I picked the Aloe Alexis now need HELP to figure out layering?

After talking to several mattress providers I picked Brooklyn Bedding! They appear to take time out and care about customer needs!

I have to give a shout out to Comfort Sleep Systems in Branford, CT. They too take time out and care about customer needs and have same quality Brooklyn Bedding if not best with latex foams, but price range for me is too high! BUT they can make anything you want! I was in store and they were using or had option of 2.5lb foam bases while most competitors use 2.2lb or less! While 2.2lb is still excellent quality!

I picked the Aloe Alexis now need to figure out if I want lower layer latex 28ILD or 32ILD. Im getting 2 tops layers and going to figure out what I like better! One is going be about 19ILD to be softer feel like memory foam and the other is going to be the 4lb memory foam.

My plan is try get it feel like a weightless Tempurpedic Supreme somewhat! I’m 5 10’ 225-250 depending time year! I have herniated disc in neck and back and need spinal support, but also need pressure relief in shoulder area because my shoulders are so wide!

The girlfriend is 5 2" 130 and almost all beds feel good to her as long as they are not rock hard! Issue is she does sleep hot because she has Multiple Sclerosis.

Hi rob2121,

I wasn’t aware that they have the option of customizing the firmness of the polyfoam base layer in the Alexis.

In any case … they will be the best source of help and guidance about the options they offer that have the highest chance of meeting your criteria both for comfort and durability. The more information you are able to provide them on the phone about previous mattresses you have slept on and liked, your local testing, and information about your body type, sleeping positions, and preferences … the more you will help them to help you make the choice that you feel best about. They will know more about the feel and performance of the materials they have available and how they interact together and with different people than anyone else (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

The comfort layers you are suggesting would be quite soft “on average” for your body type.

If you are buying a king size … it may also be worth considering using a different firmness on each side.

Phoenix

No the place in CT can customize the base layer to 2.5 if u want, but they are more expensive. I just want top layer soft like memory foam but then a springy firmer feel underneath like the Temperpduc wieghtless surpreme.

I sleep on my side.

Rob2121,

If you live near Hamden, checkout KKT Entiprises . Search under my name and “Mark in Texas” for how to build it yourself and save.

goldfreaz
Link

Hi goldfreaz,

Just for the sake of clarity … you wouldn’t be able to duplicate the Aloe Alexis by purchasing two 3" layers of blended Talalay from KTT even if they were the same ILD (although they do have good prices for bare layers of Talalay latex from Latex International).

Phoenix

Went with 32 ILD bottom layer and 4lb gel memory foam top layer. Should see in about a week if I like it! Kinda nervous it doesn’t have a smooth or panel top option since thats what I use too!

Hi rob2121,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback about the “hybrid” comfort layers you chose after you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Ya I’m hoping 32ild isnt too firm for a 250lb side sleeper with wide shoulders! There will be 3" 4lb memory foam on top it so hopefully that will be suffciant.

Hi rob2121,

Based on “averages” … I think you should be fine. Of course personal experience may not always agree with “theory” so I hope you have the chance to report back when you receive it but one of the big advantages of the Aloe Alexis is that you still have very good options to customize or “fine tune” the mattress after your purchase as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Any word yet ???

Ya came in yesterday! I went with 32ild bottom layers and 4lb memory foam on top. I also have 19ild top to swap out… Glad I went with the 32ild at least hope thats what it is! Because the edges dont feel too supportive. Feel like Im going to role off side a little and when Im near them they are saggy out more than other mattresses i have tried. The top layers mattress kind of sags out. I feel there should be soem type of edge support made to tie together the bottom layer with the 2 top layers. Maybe a thin hard foam 1/4 inch that you unzipp top and it slides down the sides. Kinda like a hard foam gasket that you scan just slide around the perimeter.

I dont think im an all latex person. I took off the 19ild and prefer the 4lb memory foam on top. I just dont like all latex i guess. The free pillows were all latex but i didnt like them soo as i put my head on one.
Overall I like the bed so far with memoray foam top and 32ild latex belwo. BUT top sides tend to push out.

Also i got the brooklyn bedding mattress protector which i dont like. I think its a little flimsy and its not loud but does make a rubbing sound so i put my old one on bed.

So i have to figure out if they take back the 19ild as i wont be using it!

Hi rob2121,

Thanks for the update and feedback … I appreciate it.

Most foam mattresses (with a few exceptions) don’t have or need edge support but for those that sleep with their weight on the outside few inches it can certainly be a preference. There is more about edge support with foam mattresses in post #33 here and post #3 here. Your top layer is also quite soft for your body type which can also make a difference.

There are a few other forum members that have mentioned that they prefer a memory foam latex combination for their comfort layers vs two latex layers so you are not alone in having that as a preference.

Phoenix

The 19ild top ayer felt like i was going to roll out teh bed. So I put the memoray foam over the 32ild instead. Its better. But it wierd. I t feels kinda pressure point like with that cover. Its not a soft foam like the TEMPUR Weightless. Actually think I like that TEMPUR mattress better although it obvious the base layer inst has good as the ALEXIS. My girlfriend around 135 even complain and asked my about the edges and said last mattress the TEMPUR has better edge support. I also slept very hot for some reason. I thought with the wool cover bled i would sleep cool, but i woke up sweating and it was only about 55 degree last night with no heat on!

Hi rob2121,

Some people sleep warm on any kind of memory foam (especially if it’s a softer and thicker layer) and your sheets and mattress protector may also be contributing to your sleeping temperature as well. There is more about the factors that can affect sleeping temperature in post #2 here.

I would probably give any new mattress a minimum of about 2 weeks so it has a chance to break in and you have a chance to adjust to a new sleeping surface and then if you still want to make changes to the mattress it would be a good idea to talk with them about the type of changes and the options you have that may bring you closer to the “feel” you are looking for. Your mattress also has a thicker memory foam layer which may also be part of the reason for the difference you feel in edge support. My previous reply here listed the materials in the weightless mattresses and as you can see your mattress has much higher quality materials but the designs and layers are also quite different so it’s not surprising that it feels different for you.

Hopefully your experience will change over the next few weeks as the mattress breaks in but if not and you need to make changes I’ll be interested in what you decide to change after talking with them and of course your feedback after you’ve slept on it as well.

Phoenix

Im waking up with sore muscles is neck shoulder area when i sleep on my side and my arm goes numb. So something causing pressure?

So far I think the thin polyfoam layer in the cover and the gel foam which to me has always been lil harder than regular 4lb mem foam is mitigating the surface pressure relief.

Hi rob2121,

There is more about the different “symptoms” that people may experience on a mattress and some of the possible causes for them in post #2 here and the posts it links to. What you are describing would most likely be related to either the thickness/softness of the comfort layers or a pillow issue.

There is no specific firmness that is specific to 4 lb gel memory foams (or any memory foam) because any density can be made in a range of firmness levels (see post #9 here and post #8 here for more about the different properties of different memory foams) but a quilting layer or any layer or material over memory foam can certainly affect how it feels and performs because it will affect the amount of heat that reaches the memory foam and will also add its own properties to the comfort layers. Thicker layers over memory foam will have more effect on it than thinner layers. For some people these types of combination would be beneficial and for others it would be detrimental depending on their preferences.

Phoenix

I had to send this email to Brooklyn Bedding today. :frowning:

"[quote]
Hello,

I been trying set up a return on an extra topper since May 23 214 and and exchange on another. On May 23 2014 Mario started I can mail in extra topper and get credit, but I stated I needed a box and RMA for return and never got one. I emailed him on July 27 2014 no repose. On Aug 6 2014I email your contact system stating i need set up a return and exchange on mattress layer. Nobody responded. Last week I called to 800 number several times before i reached Mario by phone on the 800 number purchase line and informed him i wanted to set up return because mattress wasn’t working out. I wanted a thin zip off top for the Aloe Alexis but Mario stated that could not be provided but could send whole zip mattress cover at no cost even exchage for the extra mattress layer i wasn’t using. He said I had until Sept. 21 2014 to return everything but try this first. I never received this cover. I also wanted to exchange a mattress layer 32 ild for 28ild but he said the one i had was good and try it with cover which i never received. Not sure how a zip cover would really change how a 32ild layer would feel though. At this point i want to return everything because I haven’t been able to exchange any layers and return the one i wanted to. I have been give run around and will be posting my experience on mattress underground."
[/quote]

Hi rob2121,

Every once in a while there is a post on the forum that is “very odd” and I think that your’s qualifies as one of these.

I called Brooklyn Bedding (I always call any manufacturer that I know when a post like yours appears on the forum) to find out what may be happening and while I’m certainly not clear about what is behind your email, the issues you are having, or your motive for writing it, it certainly doesn’t reflect what has been happening.

As you know they have been in constant contact with you and I know that Mario also gave you his personal number for you to contact him whenever you need to.

There has also never been an issue with exchanging a layer or returning your topper or the mattress itself and you have been provided with instructions on how to do so (they have given you the number to call MXD which looks after their returns so that you can schedule a pickup and return the mattress and the topper) but they haven’t received anything back from you yet.

The Alexis doesn’t come with a thin zip off cover or have a “cover exchange” so I’m not sure what you are referring to with this part of your email.

I think that the underlying issue is that you have been trying to duplicate the “feel” of one of the Tempurpedic mattresses but of course the Alexis is a different mattress completely and that wouldn’t be possible.

I also know that if anything is clear about Brooklyn Bedding after all the feedback on this forum and elsewhere around the internet from thousands of customers that have dealt with them it’s that they aren’t in the business of giving their customers the “run around” as you put it and that their service and guidance is among the best in the industry. I’m really not sure what more you are expecting them to do than they have already done.

I realize that you are unhappy with your mattress (which is possible with any online purchase) and you want to return it so it’s great that they have a return policy that lets you do so as a “final resort” if none of your other options work out for you but there has never been a lack of communication between you or any “run around” that has prevented you from either returning the extra layer or the mattress itself and all you need to do is arrange for it to be picked up and send it back to them.

Phoenix

Hello Rob 2121,

I wanted to reach out to you here, I am not sure why you are explaining that you have not been able to get in contact with anyone at our company. I do remember having a conversation with you via telephone just about a week ago. From my understanding we had gotten everything sorted out. If I am incorrect, and you have not yet been contacted please contact me as I had also provided you with my direct contact number at the time of our conversation last week. I will include my direct number below encase it was lost or misplaced. It is my number one priority to make sure that all of our customers are happy with their experience with our company.

Best Regards
Mario
Brooklyn Bedding