I-Series "Acclamation"? Luxury Firm vs. TempurPedic Breeze?

Hello! First, I’d like to introudce myself and my partner. I am 5’4 about 140 lbs and my partner is just under 6’ 190 lbs. We both sleep on our backs and sides, it varies. We are hot sleepers as well.

We recently bought an I-Series “Acclamation” Luxury Firm mattress and have been sleeping on it for the past 4 days. So far mixed reviews for us. This is our first memory foam hybrid mattress. We both noticed we get a little hot, but just on the side we sleep on. This was to be expected.

My partner seems to like it better than I do. He noticed one night that we kept waking up in weird positions, but I don’t know if that had to do with the bed or not.

I, on the other hand, have been having constant issues with tossing and turning, yet I am able to fall asleep quickly. I don’t feel as much lumber support as I felt in the store and I feel it is almost the same with our previous 10 year old inner-spring mattress. Other than those issues, it feels good but I think it could be better. Perhaps I am just not giving it enough time?

We have a 14 day no fee exchange policy in case the bed doesn’t work for us. So we are considering in the TempurPedic Breeze I think it was. It was $1000 more and the lady at the store mentioned it is the comparable to what we have. We tried the breeze and liked it as well, but the question is if it is really worth the extra $$? Our main concerns of course are comfort, durability, and logevity.

Hi Groggy23,

You can see my thoughts about Tempurpedic in post #2 here and the other posts it links to.

The tutorial post here also has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help people make the best possible choices and I would generally suggest avoiding the major brands and chain stores completely although unfortunately … once you’ve made a purchase there … you are usually limited to choosing one of the mattresses they sell for an exchange if there is no refund policy.

The Acclamation uses a combination of 5 lb memory foam over their gel memory foam (probably 4 lbs density) which are good and medium quality materials respectively so from a quality point of view (and unlike some of the other iSeries mattresses) there are no low quality materials in the mattresses or obvious weak links in the materials. The quality of the materials though doesn’t say anything about whether a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP and the major brands tend not to be particularly good value compared to many other mattresses made by smaller manufacturers that use similar quality materials.

If you end up exchanging the mattress for another one I would make sure you do some very careful and objective testing to make sure it is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and make sure you know the specifics of every layer in a mattress you are considering exchanging for so that you can make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that can affect durability and reduce the useful life of the mattress before you decide on the exchange.

Phoenix

Thank you for the replay and information Phoenix. So as of right now it seems to be a constant issue with me with the I-Series mattress. I actually woke up this morning with a lower stiff back. Having said that, my partner is still ok with the mattress with no major issues. This complicates things a bit. Perhaps we have completely different PPP. We plan on going back to the store this weekend and start looking for an exchange mattress. Any advice or suggestions?

Here are a few mattress we plan to try:

http://www.mattressdiscounters.com/en/Latechs-Cushion-Firm-Mattress_120251/

http://www.mattressdiscounters.com/en/NEW-TEMPUR-Rhapsody-Breeze_98764/?zipcode=20003&zipcode=20003

And I think there was a Stern & Foster in there as well that we tried.

Hi groggy23,

The best suggestion I could make would be to make sure you do some careful testing for PPP using the testing guidelines and make sure you test any mattress you are considering together. I would also make sure that you know as much of the specifics of all the layers and components in the mattress you are exchanging for as possible to make sure there are no weak links in the mattress or you could end up with a mattress that you test for PPP and works well for a while but then the softening or breakdown of lower quality materials (in the comfort layers especially) can lead to the loss of comfort or support and the return of your symptoms.

Generally your symptoms would be the result of an alignment issue which can often lead to the muscles working over the course of the night to keep you in alignment (instead of the mattress) which can lead to back pain and/or stiffness in the morning.

The Latechs cushion form doesn’t list any of the specifics of the layers except that there is 2" of some kind of natural latex (probably blended Talalay) in the comfort layers. The so called “engineered latex” is polyfoam and I would want to know the density of the polyfoam layers in the mattress which could be the weak link of the mattress. It is probably similar to the Boyd 950 mattress here (the Latechs is made by Boyd) except for the cover. You can see some prices for reference for the Boyd 950 here.

the Tempur Rhapsody Breeze uses high quality memory foams (7 lb and 5.3 lb) but of course is not good value compared to other mattresses that use similar quality materials.

I would be very cautious with Stearns & Foster because they don’t disclose the density/quality of the polyfoam in their comfort layers and they are generally lower density and would be the weak link of the mattress.

Post #2 here also has more information and some links to other threads on the forum that are about exchanging a mattress at a store where your options are more limited that may also be helpful.

Phoenix

Don’t forget the pillow as possible culprit… all memory foam mattresses make you sleep differently- mostly your shoulders and hips( and other heavier parts :slight_smile: )sink in more and that can mean that your previously great pillow might not be a good fit anymore.
A new mattress also needs an adjustment period and most foams need a few weeks break in period as well - I am not sure if I would buy a mattress with a 14 day try out period! This would not be enough time for me to make up my mind. I would need at least 30 days- maybe longer …
We looked at the “select foam” mattresses and they offer a pretty decent try out time - free shipping both ways - no risk and they are supposed to be close to the tempurpedics ( and their customer service is excellent on the phone)- the Rep on the phone told me that they expect people to try out their mattress for at least 30 days to make sure that their body adjusts completely before returning a mattress- they give you 90 days total- apparently many people get aches and pains when they first switch to memory foam but it might be a phase for many and eventually they adjust. They were very open about their materials and stand behind their products.

I know many people complain about sleeping hot - I do too - however a good down comforter that breathes and cotton/bamboo sheets- maybe even a cotton flannel cover make a huge difference and I have not slept too warm in ages.

Firstly, thank you everyone for tips and advice. If not for this site, I’d be lost. So we went back to the store last weekend testing different mattresses for a good 2 hours. We decided on the TempurPedic Rhapsody Breeze. Exchanged no issues. The first few nights so far have been hard as a rock initially, and does NOT feel like how it felt in the store. Although it does take a few seconds for it to conform, I find it hurts and uncomfortable on my sides. Which makes me toss and turn on my back 90% of the time. The good thing is we both feel that it improves posture for sure. It has that support and feels “even” accross our bodies when we sleep on our backs. Luckily we have the 90 day trial but we need to keep it for 30 days. We are hoping this is just a “break-in” period perhaps. Also, we are looking at some other pillows for better neck support. I am weird, I don’t like having my ears covered.

Hi groggy23,

The Rhapsody uses a combination of higher density 7 lb and 5 lb memory foam so it can take a little longer to break in and a new mattress will always tend to be firmer than a floor model that has already broken in. The temperature in your bedroom can also make a significant difference in the softness of a memory foam mattress.

Post #2 here about the adjustment period and memory foam mattresses that are too firm initially may also be helpful.

Phoenix

Thank you for all the information! So it has been about 2 months with our Tempupedic Rhapsody Breeze and we feel that it has been broken into. It is softer but we still feel it is a bit hard. We think that this is better for us as far as it being a bit hard? But that is really the only drawback we have. We love it so far! We are still within the 90 day exchange window so we are considering the softer Cloud series. However, we are afraid it being too soft. We just want to make sure of our purchase.

Hi groggy,

I would keep in mind that the Rhapsody Breeze uses higher density memory foams which can take a little longer to break in … especially with lower body weights … so I would go as long as you can before exchanging it for something softer so you have more certainty that your mattress really will be too firm over the long term. You can always soften a mattress that is too firm by adding a topper but it’s much more difficult to make a mattress that is too soft any firmer without replacing the layers that are too soft.

Now that you have a “feel” for the Rhapsody as well some careful side by side re-testing of the Cloud series and the Rhapsody in the store (which are probably broken in) may help you decide if an exchange is the best option for you.

Phoenix

Okay, will defenitely keep that in mind. Thanks once again Phoenix!