I thought I wanted the Serta iSeries Acclamation, but now....

Hi there. My wife and I were about to purchase a Serta iSeries Acclamation Luxury Firm mattress from Sleepys and then I came across this forum.

Should I really not be interested in this mattress? It seems comfortable, but the posts I’ve read on here (and the mattress buying guidelines) make me think otherwise.

We’re going to go check out the local Verlo Factory Store in West Chester, but I don’t even know what materials to ask them for. I just know that we fell in love with the Serta bed that I linked above.

Main needs in a bed:

• Squishy enough for my sidesleeper of a wife
  • Firm enough for me who (I’m actually a back sleeper)

So yea, if someone can help me to sound smart when I go to Verlo, that would be great. Or if people can just explain to me why the Serta bed above is crap, that would help enough.

Thanks!

Hi sideSleeper333,

The “should” part is up to you of course and all I can do is provide information that can help you make a decision about what is best for you but a mattress is only as good as the quality of the construction and materials inside it and its suitability for your needs and preferences in terms of PPP. “Subjective showroom comfort” alone is one of the worst ways to buy a mattress (see this study which indicates that this type of mattress purchase has lower odds of choosing the best mattress than random chance alone). I personally wouldn’t consider a mattress made by a manufacturer that doesn’t provide meaningful information about all the materials that were in it and where you knew that the materials were lower quality than other mattresses in similar price ranges. You can read more about how to know which is the “best” mattress for you in post #2 here and post #5 here.

The best place to start is always post #1 here which has all the information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible decision. Any material has good and worse versions so no matter which materials you prefer (and your testing will tell you which materials you prefer) it’s important to make sure that it is the best possible quality and durability. I’m not sure where you are located but based on your West Chester comment post #6 here has links to the various lists on the forum that would include the better options that are close to you. As you can see in the “read first” post I linked … an hour or two spent reading the more informative posts and information on the site is always the first step and will put you in a great position (and you will know more meaningful information than a majority of the salespeople at the mass market retailers that sell mattresses) to end up with your “best” mattress.

Phoenix

I was looking into the Serta iSeries myself, but couldn’t find any info on the density of their mattresses anywhere so I called them. I was told by the customer service rep that they were not allowed to give out “certain kinds of information”! Kind of makes you wonder, doesn’t it?

My question to everyone out there reading this is simply, which foam mattress should i buy? PLEASE HELP me! I am bleary eyed from ready reviews, information, blogs, comments, etc., and I’ve run out of visine.

About me: I’m 59, 5’7", 116 lbs, and a side sleeper, with back pain due to a previous broken back many years ago, and then a car accident 2 years ago. You don’t even want to know how old my current mattress is. I don’t really have a lot of time to run around testing out a million different mattresses, especially since most of the stores are about 30 away from each other, although I will certainly test out some. I am a bit hesitant to order online, for the obvious reasons (returns, etc). My budget is low, $1000 or less.

Any advice anyone can give me would really help. I’ve alread read the info on previous conversations here that discuss density, etc., so I do understand all the technical details.

Thanks for any and all help!

Sorry, my question was a little vague. I have read those posts, and I’m rereading them now.

A better question might be: What is the difference between the material in the ISeries foam and the foam from some place like Verlo? I imagine that Serta’s iSeries foam won’t last as long, but how can I know for sure so that I can impress the Verlo salesperson?

Thank you so much. My wife’s back also thanks you.

Hi sideSleeper333,

With memory foam and polyfoam … the quality of the foam is mostly determined by its density. If you know the details of the layers in two mattresses you are comparing then you can tell the differences between the materials by the specs. If you don’t know the details of one or more of them … then you can’t make any meaningful comparisons.

It should be the salesperson impressing you not the other way around. You can’t know for certain specifically how long any mattress will last for any particular person because durability is relative to the person using it (see post #2 here). What you can know though is that the quality and durability of the materials in one mattress is better/worse than another if both of them disclose the contents. Verlo should be able to provide you with the details of any mattress you are interested in. Serta doesn’t for most of their mattress materials and layers. The goal at first is to test and see which materials and types of mattresses you prefer.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. I really appreciate your help.