IComfort Layer Removal

I recently received a new serta icomfort mattress. I am unsure which model it is exactly, but the bottom line is that it is too plush for both my wife and I. When I unzip the outer cover, I noticed the distinct layers of foam, all of which was covered in a mesh. I am wondering if I would be able to cut the mesh open and remove one of the comfort layers to make the mattress less soft… Less of a sinking in feeling. Are the layers glued together? Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi Oskarol,

The model name should be on the law tag.

There are some suggestions in post #4 here that may be helpful if your mattress that is too soft and what you are thinking about doing is commonly called “mattress surgery” and would be the last resort. Cutting the mesh (probably the fire barrier) and removing one of the layers would make the mattress firmer and you would sink in less yes but only your own experience will be able to tell you whether the new “design” would be a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

I don’t know if the layers are glued but you could cut a small part of the mesh and check on one side. Post #2 here also has more information about mattress surgery that should be helpful.

I’m looking forward to hearing about your results if you decide to give it a try.

Phoenix