"If you're money conscious..."

“If you’re money conscious then you need to go with Sleep EZ” said the man I was on the phone with from FloBeds! I was insulted, to say the least. I would hope in todays economy, everyone would be “money conscious”. I was initially considering them over Sleep EZ because of their prorated goldilocks guarantee layer pricing plan. I began to examine that prorated goldilocks layer pricing, and realized it is not really such a great deal. Since they dont allow any comfort exchanges, you can quickly climb the rung of that pricing and end up paying a lot more than you would for additional new layers with sleep ez, right away or down the road, since flobeds fully priced split sized layers cost $400-500, so 800-1000 for one entire layer for both sides (take you percentages, if any, from there.) I dont think you can get any more than 4 layers at their reduced pricing, anyway- whereas sleep ez costs in the 450 range for the entire layer, and half of that much for a split (plus you can exchange one for just $15 in the first 90 days). You could end up spending a lot more than you would with sleep ez, not only with the initial price point, but with new layers too. I had called to get more information from Flobeds and see if they would price match, since they do have a “price match guarantee” supposedly, according to their website anyway. He became very defensive when I asked him to the point about pricing. He said he could take off $150, and that’s the best he could do. Really??! The price difference was nearly $800 vs sleep ez 10" and $400 vs sleep ez 13", plus they charge shipping! He said he didnt know what they were doing over there at Sleep EZ and wondered where they get their latex from now, as if to say they can price so low because they are using inferior products. I hung up and immediately spoke with Shawn at Sleep EZ, who was so nice and helpful. They use latex from latex international and radium, although he recommends radium because it is better quality. I placed my order with Sleep EZ and got a fantastic deal. They are still having great sale price right now, btw! Waiting for our 13" natural talalay mattress to arrive! Thanks so much for all of the helpful posts here that helped me learn about latex mattresses! Even though we are completely new to latex mattresses, I feel confident in our purchase with such great, courteous, and down to earth customer service from Sleep EZ.

Hi Savanabanana,

It’s always amazing to me how different people can “translate” certain comments in very different ways and comments that one person would be grateful for can be taken in a completely different way by someone else. I think this may be the case here and it’s most likely that what you were told had a very different intent from the way you “translated” it. It’s most likely that what they meant was that the price of a mattress is only one part of the value of a mattress purchase (and arguably not the most important part) and that if price alone was the most important part of a purchase then going with a mattress that has a lower price regardless of any of the other benefits of a mattress you are considering or other parts of your “personal value equation” that may be important to you may be your best choice. These types of comments would be taken by many people as a sign that a manufacturer is confident about the “value” of their mattress and that they would be the “best choice” for many people so they aren’t “scared” of lower priced alternatives that are different from the mattresses they are selling. In some cases it’s just a difference in the “style” of communication where some “styles” are more attractive to some people than others.

The comparisons you are making are really not “apples to apples” because both mattresses are different from each other and their exchange and return policies are very different as well and because you may have misunderstood some of what you were told some of your comments may have ended up beiing a little misleading although I realize that wasn’t your intent. One person may believe for example that one mattress or return policy would be more suited for them while someone else may prefer the other. The same would be true for their different mattress designs. These aren’t “better/worse” choices … only choices that are different from each other based on individual preferences and personal criteria.

For example … the Flobeds exchange policy has a much longer time frame, allows for the subsidized exchange of more than one layer, has a variable price over the course of 20 years depending on the timeframe and how many layers you are exchanging, and it doesn’t require the return of the old layers. The lowest cost exchange is for the first layer (or two half layers) over the first 5 years. The SleepEZ exchange policy has a lower cost, the time frame is 90 days, it allows for the exchange of one layer at reduced shipping costs (and full shipping for any other exchanges), requires the return of the old layer, and would have a lower cost for a layer exchange in the first 90 days. These are very different from each other and some people may prefer one while other people may prefer the other. Al of these again are preference choices rather than “better/worse” choices.

You can’t meaningfully “price match” two different mattresses and since there aren’t other mattresses that have the same design, for the most part the Flobeds price match policy is so that their customers can be assured that if the product they purchase goes on sale and is sold for a lower price within 100 days that they will be able to receive the lower price as well.

As you probably know … both are members of the site and I believe that both of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. Both of them have many customers that are very happy with their purchase compared to all the other options that were available to them. There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here and in essence what you are describing is that for you the choice of SleepEz was the best “value” for you based on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you even though someone else that has different criteria may make a different choice than you. This is what I would call a “good vs good” comparison.

Having said all that … I think you made a great quality/value choice that for you was the best “value” and like you there are many other members here that have been very happy with their SleepEz purchase as well. Most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and I hope you also have the chance to share your feedback when you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Thanks- Perhaps I was just a bit put off by that choice of wording, lol. To say they are “confident” would be quite accurate judging by the tone of our conversation. I pored over the ins and outs of both companies and their mattresses extensively. I do understand that the 2 layer exchange for sleep ez is only in the first 90 days, but it is only $30, v having to buy two new layers at anytime in the first five years from Flobeds for $150. The flobed layer prices after that for the next two layers would be just as much as sleep ez, or more depending on how many years you’re looking at. If you’re the princess and the pea, you could really end up incurring a lot of costs. I tried to compare apples to apples as much as I could when looking at the organic talalay mattresses. The return policy is just 10 days different. I definitely do feel I got the best value. Hopefully it works out for us ;).

Hi Savanabanana,

A mattress that is the “best value” for you is always the most important part of any mattress purchase and it’s great to see that you did some great research and ended up making such a great choice. :slight_smile:

These types of choices between “good and good” can involve objective, subjective, and even intangible criteria that can be difficult to assess and it can be difficult to place an objective “value” on the differences between two mattresses when you don’t know for certain how they will affect how you sleep on each mattress (which is the most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase). In some cases and for some people these types of “final choices” may even be a matter of “gut feel”. When you look back on a successful mattress purchase in many years from now when you decide to replace it you will remember much more about how well you slept and how long you slept well than you will about relatively small differences in price or features that seemed to be more important when you were making the purchase.

I think you did very well and I’m looking forward to your feedback after you receive it!

Phoenix