Ikea Hemnes bed frame and Latex mattress?

Does anyone here have any experience with using an Ikea Hemnes bed frame with a 100% latex mattress (10" SleepEZ or Flexus type)?

I’ve been advised by SleepEZ that Ikea’s bowed slat systems are too flexible and that their mattress really requires a solid or firm base with no flex.

It seems that the Hemnes may come with some firm slats out of the box based on what I see in the instruction manual on the top of page 22, but am unsure.

We’re looking at the king size here, so it’s a pretty hefty setup.

Hi steelwindmachine.

I’ve been advised by SleepEZ that Ikea’s bowed slat systems are too flexible and that their mattress really requires a solid or firm base with no flex.

The only choice for the king Hemnes slat system on the Ikea web site is the Luroy, which is a bowed slat base.

I would agree with SleepEZ that you should search for a firmer support system that is flat. I’ve spoken with people who’ve had experience with this particular laminated bowed slat system and it does have a tendency to flex and eventually flatten out and then start to sag under the weight of heavier items.

When in doubt, you should always follow the advice of the manufacturer of any product you’re considering, as they would have the best idea of what works for their mattresses, plus they are the ones who determine what treatment could potentially void your warranty.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

The Hemnes comes with a sturdier set of flat slats out of the box that might work. I believe they are less then 3" apart and I think, but will have to verify in the store what thickness they are. I think 3/4" is preferred?

While the Ikea bed frame below is different from the Hemnes, the slat style and dimensional layout (thickness and spacing) should be identical to that of what’s provided with the Hemnes beds…Ikea likes consistency :wink:

Hi steelwindmachine,

Thanks for the picture. You’d certainly want to take a look at that in person, as I’m not seeing that described on the web site, but I don’t have an Ikea where I can go to confirm. Perhaps that is something you could report back on if you do go visit and look in person.

There is an older post that has a few good links here about appropriate foundations, here and here.

Using 1" x 4" (as you know, this is really .75" thick by about 3.5" wide) with a center support (a good grade of wood – poplar is popular), is a common strong arrangement, with 3" or less for the gaps, for a solid latex mattress. The boards in your photo look to be more like 1" x 6". Just check the gaps and the strength of the wood if you find one of these on display.

I’ll be interested in what you find should you have a chance to visit your local Ikea store.

Phoenix