Ikea Latex Matresses

Hi CeruleanBlue and Phoenix,

I actually purchased the Sultan Edsele yesterday at Ikea in Edmonton, AB. While at the store, I spoke to 2 different staff members, specifically asking if I could return the mattress before 45 days and get a full refund - they both answered yes. Five minutes ago I called customer service and asked again, being sure to ask ā€œeven if I use itā€ - and the answer was again yes.

So at this point Iā€™m feeling pretty comfortable that I wonā€™t have any problem returning it for a refund before 45 days if necessary (and they will have a fight on their hands if they say otherwise. :angry: lol)

I promise to let you know what happens!

Hi jeind55,

Thanks for clarifying Ikeaā€™s return policy ā€¦ at least for Canada.

Most important ā€¦ congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to any feedback you have the chance to share with the forum.

Phoenix

First post, I was looking to get a mattress from IKEA.

I almost pulled the trigger on Sultan Holmsta.

To me, itā€™s really hard to tell which mattress feels better. I tried all the IKEA ones and had no clear preference. I do like the firmer ones thou.

Guess I will have to do more research :frowning:

Hi jl0329,

Youā€™ve probably read this post from earlier in the thread but in case you havenā€™t ā€¦ there is more information about many of the Ikea mattresses (including the Homlstra) in post #3 here earlier in this thread.

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix,

You are the most knowledgeable person regarding mattress I know of.

If I want to buy a mattress online (not limited to IKEA of course), a firm one, king size, with budget around $800 (up to $1K).

Can you provide me with some choices? Also, I am going to get a platform bed so boxspring is probably out of the picture. Does that affect my choices?

I really appreciate it!!

p.s. I live in LA, CA

John

Hi jl039,

Iā€™m happy to help with ā€œhowā€ to choose but there are far too many unknowns and variables for anyone to help with specifically ā€œwhatā€ to choose out of all the thousands of mattresses that are available in the market (see post #2 here)

The first place to start your research is post #1 here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices ā€¦ and avoid the worst ones.

When you get to step 3 ā€¦ then some of the better options and possibilities Iā€™m aware of in the Los Angeles area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

PS: Just to let you know ā€¦ the forum software system is sending you notices for replies to this thread which you have subscribed to and the email notifications are bouncing back with an explanation that they are being blocked as ā€œunsolicitedā€ or ā€œlikely spamā€ by your email service.

Weā€™ve been sleeping on the king size Sultan Edsele mattress with the Torod mattress topper for a couple of months now. The first night we had it, we slept on the mattress straight on the living room floor with no topper (wrong size topper was delivered). Definitely hard, but thatā€™s to be expected.

Since then, weā€™ve put it on the highest quality foundation IKEA offers right now, the Sultan Atloy box springsā€“that right there is probably a good portion of the reason for our restful sleep! We finished the bed with the Bekkestua headboard and 8" legs. Both of us like what we have going on with this bed. Previously we were in a softside waterbed, before that we tried organic handmade mattresses, shikibuton on tatami mats, memory foam toppers thrown over innerspring mattresses, innerspring mattresses, and an 8 year stretch with Tempurpedic.

Latex is the right choice for us for comfort, dustmite allergies, ease of moving house and changing positions (vs waterbed) and longevity. Every time we flop down on the memory foam guest bed, itā€™s like quicksand sucking us down and fighting our attempts to change positions. Now we wonder how we did Tempurpedic for so long, and all those nights of arms falling asleep on memory foam! Latex feels springy and bouncy.

So far no impressions on the mattress from any of the three sleepers (we cosleep with our child). Thereā€™s a 250 lb person, a 50 lb person, and a 150 lb person. No rolling into each other from the sleeping valley like we had with Tempurpedic and with the waterbed.

We still wake up often, but thatā€™s from a kid wanting the light turned on, any of us wanting water, cats jumping on us, stuffy noses require flipping sides, bladders yell at us, someoneā€™s phone lights up when itā€™s supposed to be in blocking mode, and who knows what else. Even with that, weā€™ve all had nights where we sleep right on through. Glorious nights those are!

I wish I had some extra dough lying around so I could buy a full or queen Edsele for our kidā€™s room. Weā€™d sleep so much better if we were separate and not fighting for covers or room! Alas, fear of the dark is hard to overcome. Still, when tax return times comes, it will be hard not to hang rope lights in every corner of the kidā€™s room, add a few flashlights, and buy another Edsele/Torod combo and hope for the best! IKEA has the Edsele $50 off right now for IKEA Family members.

If a young childā€™s opinion is of interest to all of you, kiddo misses the waterbed because the new IKEA bed is very tall and hard to climb. I say it builds muscles so keep climbing, and Iā€™ll get shorter legs for your bed if you get one :slight_smile:

Hi netgyks,

It sounds like you and your Ikea Edsele mattress are a great match.

Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

Phoenix

A bit of news from my visit to Ikea (San Diego) yesterday: they are undergoing a major overhaul of their foam mattress lineup. FAVANG has been discontinued and is already off the floor. Most others are being replaced; they are just waiting to sell out old inventory before starting with the new. If you catch them on the day they are changing out, you might be able to buy a floor model as-is. The staff person had a one-page sheet showing old and new models. Besides FAVANG, the one I asked about was EDSELE which will be replaced by MORGANGAVA. I couldnā€™t find that on their web site yet, so donā€™t know whatā€™s different. I think the price is $999 for a queen, $20 more than EDSELE.

Hi sdmark,

Thanks for letting us know.

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out about their new mattresses.

Iā€™ll need to update my comments in the main Ikea post as well once theyā€™ve listed the details.

Phoenix

The MORGANGAVA description is now online. Looks like it all natural, compared to 85% for EDSELE, right? Canā€™t tell if it still has a zipper cover, but it says itā€™s not washable: $999 for a queen.
ADMIN NOTE: Removed Footprint to Discontinued Product | Archived Footprint: Products - IKEA

The synthetic latex/polyfoam hybrid is now MYRBACKA. $549 for a queen, 2.2 lb polyfoam, washable cover.

The thickest all-foam is now MORGEDAL, 2.2 lb. polyfoam, $299 queen, washable cover.

On the foam and latex mattress index page, there are two thinner foam mattresses and one memory foam.

Seems like maybe a somewhat smaller selection than than before.

Hi sdmark,

I was looking at their new mattresses yesterday and there doesnā€™t seem to be too much difference between the old Edsele and the new Morgangava. They both use 85/15 natural/synthetic latex, have the same materials, are the same thickness, and have the same weight. There may be a difference in the firmness of the latex (although this would affect the weight so they may be the same) and the Edsele mentioned seven zones and the Morgangava doesnā€™t mention the number of zones (although itā€™s likely the same). There is a cosmetic difference but it doesnā€™t seem that there are many other differences between them. They donā€™t say if the cover is removable like the Edsele.

The Myrbacka seems to be closest to the old Fjordgard except itā€™s a little thicker and a little heavier and uses synthetic latex instead of a 20/80 NR/SBR blend and it doesnā€™t specify the thickness of the latex. As you mentioned they do specify that the cover is removable and washable.

The Morgedal is thicker than the old Favang which was the thickest polyfoam mattress they used to carry. Itā€™s 7 1/8" vs the 5 1/2" of the FAvang but it uses a combination of 1.7 lb and 2.2lb polyfoam (but donā€™t say how much of each) and is probably one sided while the Favang used 2.2 lb polyfoam throughout and was two sided. The Favang was also 5 zone and they donā€™t specify the number of zones in the Morgedal.

Thanks for mentioning them and I can see Iā€™ll have to revise the Ikea mattress descriptions when I can and hopefully they will provide some of the missing information.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks for the careful readingā€“you caught a couple things I missed. I may have to look at these next time Iā€™m near Ikea.

Mark

Interesting visit to Ikea today. Iā€™ve uploaded new pics in post #3 here. Observations:

There is no longer a thin talalay over thick polyfoam hybrid (formerly Fjordgard).

Several mattresses now have multiple versions under the same name.

Morgedal comes in two firmnesses. Only the medium firm is shown online. The firm one was on display and felt very firm.

Matrand comes in memory foam and latex versions, with different amounts of polyfoam. The latex is 12cm (4.7") Mountaintop C3. I do not see the latex version online. Of the three latex mattresses, this felt in between the other two in firmness, demoed on a Sultan Aram foundation.

Myrbacka also comes in memory foam and latex versions, with different amounts of polyfoam. I do not see the memory foam version online. Of the three latex mattresses, this felt the firmest, also demoed on a Sultan Aram foundation. The latex tag was not accessible, but it looks like 6" thick. I took a quick peek inside the demo and it looked like the holes were of even size (maybe 1/2") and spacing. I wondered if the extra firmness was due to it being molded Dunlop, but the Ikea web site says it is zoned, so maybe it is just a thicker layer of the Mountaintop.

Morgongava is latex only. There is a zipper but it only goes across one end and about a foot down each side. Iā€™d think it would be pretty difficult to remove and especially to re-insert the mattress into this ā€œenvelope.ā€ Of the three latex mattresses, this felt the softest, though it was demoed on a Sultan Luroy slatted base which has a bit of spring to it.

Mark

Hi sdmark,

Thanks once again for providing so many details about their new mattresses. Itā€™s interesting that they have several new options that arenā€™t listed and I hope they add the additional options and some of the missing information to their site.

I also noticed that the Morgedal seems to be a single layer of polyfoam which would likely be the 2.2 lb foam and the lower density 1.7 lb polyfoam is probably in the cover.

Itā€™s interesting to me as well that the latex versions of both the Matrand and the Myrbacka have considerably thicker layers of latex and thinner layers of polyfoam than the memory foam versions. Itā€™s also too bad that their memory foam versions use such low density memory foam (3.1 lbs).

I also made a strange discovery on their site. If you go to the default page for the Matrand here it describes the memory foam option and has twin size as the default size. If you change the size to any of the others (full, queen, or king) it describes the latex version. Neither one shows the layer thickness so itā€™s great that you went to the trouble of measuring them for the benefit of the forum members here.

Iā€™ve added a link to your pictures and to your comments in this thread to the Ikea post here.

I appreciate all your efforts :).

Phoenix

Yes it seems the webmaster has some catching up to do. If you search for an unlisted item using the exact part number from the picture (e.g. Matrand Memory Foam in Full 102.723.97), it says the search function isnā€™t working. Strange.

There are two layers but because they are glued together where they are solid, the dividing line is difficult to see. Iā€™ve added a closeup photo.

Mark

Hi sdmark,

That clarifies the description and I can see the dividing line between the two polyfoam layers in the closeup now. Thanks once again :).

Phoenix

Added a couple more pictures showing two of the samples unzipped. Interesting to see the zoning on the Morgongava.

Talked to the Mountain Top sales rep. He confirmed that they make Ikeaā€™s latex. He thinks they are all C3. He agreed that the 85% natural feels more spongy or springy than the synthetic. The natural is denser because they put more more material into it, though it tests in the same ILD range as the synthetic. The ILD of the synthetic is controlled more by chemical process during manufacturing .

Mark

Hi sdmark,

This is also because natural rubber is denser than synthetic rubber (has a higher weight per volume of material) so synthetic latex would be less dense than natural latex in the same ILD.

Thanks ā€¦ once again ā€¦ for the great pictures. The 7 zones in the Morgongava are their standard zoning pattern and are the same as two toppers I have from Mountaintop.

Phoenix

Not to sidetrack the Ikea thread but I was going to ask where to source toppers made from Mountain Top continuous pour Dunlop, but then I found post #7 here. Spindle is the sole source?

Mark