Ikea Latex Matresses

Hi sdmark,

I was looking at their new mattresses yesterday and there doesnā€™t seem to be too much difference between the old Edsele and the new Morgangava. They both use 85/15 natural/synthetic latex, have the same materials, are the same thickness, and have the same weight. There may be a difference in the firmness of the latex (although this would affect the weight so they may be the same) and the Edsele mentioned seven zones and the Morgangava doesnā€™t mention the number of zones (although itā€™s likely the same). There is a cosmetic difference but it doesnā€™t seem that there are many other differences between them. They donā€™t say if the cover is removable like the Edsele.

The Myrbacka seems to be closest to the old Fjordgard except itā€™s a little thicker and a little heavier and uses synthetic latex instead of a 20/80 NR/SBR blend and it doesnā€™t specify the thickness of the latex. As you mentioned they do specify that the cover is removable and washable.

The Morgedal is thicker than the old Favang which was the thickest polyfoam mattress they used to carry. Itā€™s 7 1/8" vs the 5 1/2" of the FAvang but it uses a combination of 1.7 lb and 2.2lb polyfoam (but donā€™t say how much of each) and is probably one sided while the Favang used 2.2 lb polyfoam throughout and was two sided. The Favang was also 5 zone and they donā€™t specify the number of zones in the Morgedal.

Thanks for mentioning them and I can see Iā€™ll have to revise the Ikea mattress descriptions when I can and hopefully they will provide some of the missing information.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks for the careful readingā€“you caught a couple things I missed. I may have to look at these next time Iā€™m near Ikea.

Mark

Interesting visit to Ikea today. Iā€™ve uploaded new pics in post #3 here. Observations:

There is no longer a thin talalay over thick polyfoam hybrid (formerly Fjordgard).

Several mattresses now have multiple versions under the same name.

Morgedal comes in two firmnesses. Only the medium firm is shown online. The firm one was on display and felt very firm.

Matrand comes in memory foam and latex versions, with different amounts of polyfoam. The latex is 12cm (4.7") Mountaintop C3. I do not see the latex version online. Of the three latex mattresses, this felt in between the other two in firmness, demoed on a Sultan Aram foundation.

Myrbacka also comes in memory foam and latex versions, with different amounts of polyfoam. I do not see the memory foam version online. Of the three latex mattresses, this felt the firmest, also demoed on a Sultan Aram foundation. The latex tag was not accessible, but it looks like 6" thick. I took a quick peek inside the demo and it looked like the holes were of even size (maybe 1/2") and spacing. I wondered if the extra firmness was due to it being molded Dunlop, but the Ikea web site says it is zoned, so maybe it is just a thicker layer of the Mountaintop.

Morgongava is latex only. There is a zipper but it only goes across one end and about a foot down each side. Iā€™d think it would be pretty difficult to remove and especially to re-insert the mattress into this ā€œenvelope.ā€ Of the three latex mattresses, this felt the softest, though it was demoed on a Sultan Luroy slatted base which has a bit of spring to it.

Mark

Hi sdmark,

Thanks once again for providing so many details about their new mattresses. Itā€™s interesting that they have several new options that arenā€™t listed and I hope they add the additional options and some of the missing information to their site.

I also noticed that the Morgedal seems to be a single layer of polyfoam which would likely be the 2.2 lb foam and the lower density 1.7 lb polyfoam is probably in the cover.

Itā€™s interesting to me as well that the latex versions of both the Matrand and the Myrbacka have considerably thicker layers of latex and thinner layers of polyfoam than the memory foam versions. Itā€™s also too bad that their memory foam versions use such low density memory foam (3.1 lbs).

I also made a strange discovery on their site. If you go to the default page for the Matrand here it describes the memory foam option and has twin size as the default size. If you change the size to any of the others (full, queen, or king) it describes the latex version. Neither one shows the layer thickness so itā€™s great that you went to the trouble of measuring them for the benefit of the forum members here.

Iā€™ve added a link to your pictures and to your comments in this thread to the Ikea post here.

I appreciate all your efforts :).

Phoenix

Yes it seems the webmaster has some catching up to do. If you search for an unlisted item using the exact part number from the picture (e.g. Matrand Memory Foam in Full 102.723.97), it says the search function isnā€™t working. Strange.

There are two layers but because they are glued together where they are solid, the dividing line is difficult to see. Iā€™ve added a closeup photo.

Mark

Hi sdmark,

That clarifies the description and I can see the dividing line between the two polyfoam layers in the closeup now. Thanks once again :).

Phoenix

Added a couple more pictures showing two of the samples unzipped. Interesting to see the zoning on the Morgongava.

Talked to the Mountain Top sales rep. He confirmed that they make Ikeaā€™s latex. He thinks they are all C3. He agreed that the 85% natural feels more spongy or springy than the synthetic. The natural is denser because they put more more material into it, though it tests in the same ILD range as the synthetic. The ILD of the synthetic is controlled more by chemical process during manufacturing .

Mark

Hi sdmark,

This is also because natural rubber is denser than synthetic rubber (has a higher weight per volume of material) so synthetic latex would be less dense than natural latex in the same ILD.

Thanks ā€¦ once again ā€¦ for the great pictures. The 7 zones in the Morgongava are their standard zoning pattern and are the same as two toppers I have from Mountaintop.

Phoenix

Not to sidetrack the Ikea thread but I was going to ask where to source toppers made from Mountain Top continuous pour Dunlop, but then I found post #7 here. Spindle is the sole source?

Mark

Hi sdmark,

There are probably more sources (such as Nest Bedding here) but Spindle is the most reasonably priced Iā€™m aware of.

My toppers were samples that were given to me by a friend of mine that was looking at them so I could see what they were like.

Phoenix

[quote=ā€œsdmarkā€ post=35558]Added a couple more pictures showing two of the samples unzipped. Interesting to see the zoning on the Morgongava.

Talked to the Mountain Top sales rep. He confirmed that they make Ikeaā€™s latex. He thinks they are all C3. He agreed that the 85% natural feels more spongy or springy than the synthetic. The natural is denser because they put more more material into it, though it tests in the same ILD range as the synthetic. The ILD of the synthetic is controlled more by chemical process during manufacturing .

Mark[/quote]

Wow that cool, so are these Ikea zoned to be softer for your shoulders and firmer for the hips? What does C3 mean?

Hi WadeB,

C3 is a firmness rating. Mountaintop uses a firmness scale that ranges from C0 to C5.

You can see the ILD range for each of their ratings here ā€¦

The C5 isnā€™t on this list and itā€™s 33.5 - 37.5 ILD.

I would be cautious though if you are comparing their ILD ratings to other types or blends of latex that you are familiar with because they may not match very well and there are also other factors besides just ILD that will determine how soft or firm a material ā€œfeelsā€ when you lie on it (see post #4 here). The best way to assess how soft or firm a material (or a mattress) feels for you would be based on personal experience.

They have 7 zones and if you look at sdmarkā€™s last picture here you will see sections of the latex that have smaller pincores and sections that have larger pincores. The larger holes are the softer sections and the smaller holes are the firmer sections. The shoulder zone (second zone from either end) is the softest and the middle zone under the pelvis would be the firmest.

Phoenix

[quote=ā€œPhoenixā€ post=35568]Hi sdmark,

This is also because natural rubber is denser than synthetic rubber (has a higher weight per volume of material) so synthetic latex would be less dense than natural latex in the same ILD.

Thanks ā€¦ once again ā€¦ for the great pictures. The 7 zones in the Morgongava are their standard zoning pattern and are the same as two toppers I have from Mountaintop.

Phoenix[/quote]

Can you give us some feed back on your Mountaintop toppers? Do you know what firmness it is?

I"ve been using a 3" synthetic C2 topper on a very firm innerspring mattress for about two months and have been quite happy with it. Itā€™s still springy with maybe just a little softening/breaking in, which actually feels good. In a perfect world, I might like an inch of something a bit softer on top of this but itā€™s not bugging me enough to worry about.

Firmness ratings are in Phoenixā€™s post just above yours, but I didnā€™t pay any attention to those numbers. I had briefly tried a convoluted C3 as a topper on this mattress and thought it felt about right. I agreed with Neal at Spindle Mattress that a solid C2 would make sense.

You can get an idea of the feel of natural vs. synthetic by visiting Ikea, but obviously a topper will feel different from a full mattress, and the same topper will feel different depending on what you put it on. Itā€™d be nice to be able to buy a variety of firmness levels, thicknesses, natural and synthetic, Mountaintop and other brands, try them, and return what doesnā€™t work. Since thatā€™s not an option, in he end I decided to just try this one at the risk of $200. Itā€™s worked out pretty good so far.

Hi sdmark,

The two toppers I have were sent to me by a friend but he didnā€™t know which blend they were. One of them is a 1" topper of the gel infused latex and the other one is a 2" topper that isnā€™t gel infused. The 2" topper is a C2 and the gel is softer so it would either be C0 or C1.

Iā€™ve attached pictures of both toppers at the end of my post so you can see what they look like from a top view and from a closeup view. They have been handled a fair bit (particularly the 1" gel latex topper) but they are both very consistent and ā€œcleanā€. They have the resilient and contouring ā€œfeelā€ of latex but would be closer to Dunlop in their resilience than Talalay.

I would say that the ILD ratings that are in my previous post seem to be a little low if you compare them to other types of latex firmness ratings because the C2 feels a little firmer to me than the ILD range they list but I donā€™t have a 2" topper of another type of latex (either Talalay or Dunlop) to lay out on the floor and make a more meaningful or accurate comparison so this is a very subjective comparison. The Gel infused topper is clearly much softer than the C2 topper.

The gel infused topper is much more blue than the picture shows.

Phoenix

I just confirmed with Bob from Mountain Top that IKEA Latex toppers specifically their Torod/Tromsdalen ( 85% Natural 15% Synthetic) topper does not come from Mountain Top and the iLD rating of C3 does not apply IKEA Latex toppers.

I thought the Tromsdalen Latex topper felt softer than the Morgongava Latex mattress in stores but I wasnā€™t 100% sure but now with confirmation from Mountain Top saying the Latex in the Morgongava mattress and Tromsdalen topper are different manufactures which would result in a likely different ILD ratings also.

If Iā€™m not correct (just a scientific guess) the IKEA Tromsdalen Latex topper very likely corresponds with a 18-20 iLD rating similar to a C2 rating from Mountain Top Latex since the topper did feel softer than C3 Mountain Top Latex in stores and is labelled as a Pillowtop but this is still an uncertainty unless we get information on where the Latex for IKEA toppers are manufactured.

Hi Nemix,

Thanks for letting us know what Bob told you ā€¦ heā€™s a good guy :slight_smile:

[quote]I thought the Tromsdalen Latex topper felt softer than the Morgongava Latex mattress in stores but I wasnā€™t 100% sure but now with confirmation from Mountain Top saying the Latex in the Morgongava mattress and Tromsdalen topper are different manufactures which would result in a likely different ILD ratings also.

If Iā€™m not correct (just a scientific guess) the IKEA Tromsdalen Latex topper very likely corresponds with a 18-20 iLD rating similar to a C2 rating from Mountain Top Latex since the topper did feel softer than C3 Mountain Top Latex in stores and is labelled as a Pillowtop but this is still an uncertainty unless we get information on where the Latex for IKEA toppers are manufactured. [/quote]

Itā€™s possible that their topper comes from Sapsa which owns the patent for continuous pour Dunlop latex that Mountaintop uses and is a supplier for Ikea in various parts of the world but of course I donā€™t know this for certain.

There are some rough comparisons between the Mountaintop firmness ratings and firmness ratings for Talalay latex at the end of post #8 here that may also be helpful.

Phoenix

I contacted IKEAā€™s head office yesterday to inquire on where they get their Latex manufactured from specifically for their Tromsdalen Latex topper sold in North America, hopefully I get a reply back with the correct information (Iā€™m more on the fence of getting a reply with no information available).

Hi Nemix,

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what they tell you.

Phoenix

As expected, no information available even from IKEAā€™s head office.

I might give IKEAā€™s head office in the US and Europe a try nextā€¦