Ikea Mattress Cutaway Pictures

Based on the last photo in post #3 above, it looks like the middle (hip) zone is actually firmer like it should be. I.e., the pin holes are smallest in the middle. Am I interpreting that right? Could be the IKEA salesperson was wrong.

I was considering a Mogongava until I saw a post here that claimed theirs smelled bad (a showstopper for us), plus Phoenix recommended several local foam shops that appear to have similar prices, but with better latex and a wider selection of options. I’ll be checking those out this week. I would have never thought to check local foam shops – brilliant, thanks!

Thanks Phoenix. I’ve read your primer on zoning. I just wanted to have someone verify my theory that Mountain Top Foam’s description does not in fact match their actual product sold by Ikea and others. If you watch their video on the “Our Process” page and freeze it at 1:46, you can see that the zoning has smaller holes right in the middle of the mattress just as the photo in this thread indicates. So the hip area would be more firm–not more plush as the wording on their site describes.

I agree with you that people could need different zoning for alignment, so that’s why I had planned on buying Ikea’s adjustable Laxeby which is no longer available. I’ve found another one from another manufacturer that I am interested in, but it does not appear to be the quality that Ikea’s Laxeby was.

Hi Steve Smith,

Going from the middle outwards … the middle zone has the smallest pincores and is the firmest, the next zones outwards in both directions are softer, the next zones outward are the softest, and the zones at the head and foot are the same as the middle zone.

Which zones would end up matching different parts of each person’s body would depend on the person and where they sleep on their mattress but for most people their hips would probably fall in the middle zone which is the firmest (I’m 6.5" and my fiance is 5’7" and we have a queen topper and both of our hips are on the firmest center zone when we sleep on the mattress the way we normally do).

Phoenix