Ikea Mattresses: Flame Retardant Information

Hi Phoenix and everyone,

I’ve been lurking here and elsewhere for years looking for healthy bedding options. We’ve tried various types, including 100% latex, but in the end a big concern for us has ended up being flame retardants. They are required in every state in the US and there is very little information available about what is used on what products.

Enter IKEA. I read somewhere that they didn’t use any mattress flame retardants, and read somewhere else they do in the US but not other places. Again, very hard to get verifiable information. I called various IKEAs and got nowhere. Finally I visited the closest IKEA and asked for any flame retardant info they had, and they handed me a binder of information that they share with customers! I’m attaching (5 pictures) what they shared so that others may benefit from the information and hopefully it can help you on your mattress buying journey.

To quote some main points of the attachments:

“All mattresses must pass very strict flammability tests and all of our products are meeting the highest standards in the US. We do have a few mattresses that are able to pass the flammability testing without the addition of any type of Fire Retardant chemicals - specifically JOMNA, MINNESUND, MEISTERVIK, and MORGANGAVA.
For the rest of the range the zipper and/or stitchboard is treated with a phosphorous-based inorganic salt. The fabric, interior foam and other parts of the mattress are not treated with any fire retardant chemicals.”

“A bromated flame retardant chemical is a flame retardant based on bromine compounds. A decision was taken at IKEA in 1998 to phase out these chemicals. We no longer have any upholstered furniture containing these substances.”

“No bromated or chlorinated flame retardant chemicals are used in Ikea mattresses.”

“The other question that comes up regarding MORGANGAVA is around the latex and “VOCs” (volatile organic compounds). We are running reports and testing at our suppliers to ensure there is no emission of acute or chronic toxic compounds in our mattresses and that they are in full compliance with all standards and compliance of course.”

Hi KatieP,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Mattresses sold in the United States are required to pass the 16 CFR 1632 and 1633 fire regulations with or without the use of fire retardant chemicals (the method of passing the regulations isn’t specified in the regulations). The most common method used by far to pass the regulations is the use of inherent fire barrier fabrics that are either quilted into the cover or are wrapped around the inner materials of the mattress like a sock. There is more information about fire retardant methods that are commonly used in the industry in post #2 here and in post #4 here. I’m not sure with which brands you were having difficulty finding out what they are using for their FR barrier, but most companies are transparent with this, as it is required by law.

They have to pass the 16 CFR 1632 and 1633 flame retardancy regulations for any mattress sold in the United States. What method they choose to pass this is up to them. From the information you provided (thank you!) they use the inherent fire barrier that is a rayon/viscose blend, which is the most common used in the industry, In a few of their mattresses, they use wool alone to pass the FR guidelines. The phosphorus based-inorganic salt they use is just for the plastic zipper area on the bottom of the mattress, if the mattress has a zipper. This is commonly used to control plastics turning into combustible volatiles.

Regarding testing the latex for harmful substances and VOCs, while Ikea lists no “safety standard” certifications for their latex on their web site, most latex produced would pass one of the different types of organic and safety certifications such as Oeko-tex, Eco-Institut, Greenguard Gold, C2C, and CertiPUR-US (see post #2 here), and I would generally consider it a more “safe” material.

Note that I’ve removed the photos of the IKEA booklet pages you’ve attached, as they were labelled “Internal Use Only”, I also removed the email you provided which had information for specific individuals listed.

Phoenix

Also a Kate :slight_smile: Word of warning - it’d probably be more comfortable to sleep on a fire than on the Jomna. Seriously, it’s of egregiously bad quality - it is literally just the skeleton of a mattress - the coiled springs and frame covered by a thin, zip-off gray fabric. I was absolutely gob-smacked when I opened the package. Complete rip-off, even at $80 :confused:

I was so shocked - their previous budget mattress series was actually fantastic.

Hi KateG.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with Ikea’s Jomna Mattress with us.

The actual specifics of the thickness or any other more meaningful specs of the mattress aren’t provided on the Ikea site but this is probably one of the lowest budged mattresses available on the market and I would not recommend it for any long time use for anyone. For this price point I would seriously not expect any quality or durability in any of its componentry. They are using steel Bonell spring coil but again the gauge, length, and number of coils is not provided and neither is the density or thickness of the foam on top of the spring unit.

I am noticing that the cover has a zipper and if you did not yet return the product and for the benefit of other consumers that might consider this very inexpensive product I would appreciate if you could provide us with any of the specifics listed on the internal label of the product and perhaps attach some photos of its componentry and/or label.

Phoenix

“For this price point I would seriously not expect any quality or durability in any of its componentry.”

See, but that’s the thing - their previous budget mattress was exponentially better than the Jomna. I’m a realist; I know I’m not going to get luxury in a $75 mattress - but there has to be some minimum standard to sell something. It’s like walking in Payless and finding shoes made out of painted cardboard, Potemkin-village style; sure, we’re expecting cr*ppy shoes at Payless, but they have to at least be actual shoes, right?

The photos attached illustrate what I was trying to describe – the zippered cover is just a ‘bag’ in which coils float freely - there is ZERO foam or padding between you and the coils. That little white felt top piece is just that - it’s a piece of felt about the thickness of a quarter coin.

Two other issues with this ersatz mattress:

1. The coils are so soft that the entire mattress just bends and twists at the slightest pressure - this was a problem noted by a woman who bought it for a toddler bed; the coils are so bendy that her 25 pound child squishes them down so much that he was rolling off and getting stuck in the bed rails. Between this characteristic and the total lack of foam, what you have is a mattress that has zero structural integrity.

2. People are getting poked. Multiple reports of the wires coming through.

There are no specs on the label. But I hope the photos help some folks :slight_smile:

Hi KateG,

You certainly won’t get an argument from me as to what often passes for a “mattress” from some companies and the poor quality materials that are used, but as you’re aware, there is of course no “minimum standard”, and even more reason for consumers to educate themselves regarding what is contained within any mattress they are considering.

Yes, it is the very minimum – a Bonnell spring unit with polyester wadding, polypropylene, and a felt liner. It can’t get much more basic than that.

Yes, I wouldn’t recommend something along these lines for toddler or adult use.

With so little padding over the Bonnell springs, I could see where that might be possible where it is knotted.

Phoenix