Ikea Morgongava mattress and flammability requirements

If anyone could help me figure out how Ikea meets the flammability requirement on their Morgongava latex mattress I would greatly appreciate it.
We tried it out today for our 9 yo son and he loved it. Everything seems fine about this mattress, pretty good reviews, no synthetics in the cover, mostly natural latex except a bit of blend (15%)…but I still don’t understand how they meet the flammability requirement given the mattress has no wool in it, only a cotton cover.

If they dosed the cover in some nasty chemical then it’s a no. If they dosed it in some not so nasty chemical but it’s still a chemical…then I don’t know. The mattress doesn’t have a certi-pure certification which leaves questions about what they used for FRs.

The alternative is a two sided coil mattress from “my green mattress”, no latex - which would come out about 200-300 dollars more expensive than the Ikea and obviously we cannot try.

My concern is it might be too firm /stiff and he really loved the feel of latex. Also, someone advised me that a coil mattress for two kids who still tend to jump in beds is probably not a good idea.

We are trying to work within a certain budget so we would have been happy to get away with Ikea, especially that we could try it on, but the FR thing really concerns me.

Any info in this respect would be appreciated. Also, I am not sure where at Ikea I should call to get a decent answer about the FR.

Hi Syracusa,

As far as I know … the Morgongava like the Sultan Edsele that it replaced uses wool as the fire barrier (it lists wool wadding in the description of the mattress here).

According to Ikea on their facebook page here … their mattresses that don’t use wool to pass the fire regulations use organophosphorous or nitrogen compounds added to an interliner along with polyester/viscose fibers but they don’t say the specific organophosphate or nitrogen containing chemicals that they use and some of them may be a concern for some people.

Phoenix

Thank you so much, Phoenix - I hadn’t noticed the wool specification. This is perfect. We will most probably get the Ikea for our son - it seems pretty healthy, natural and safe, this was our main concern. Regarding comfort and quality of make, it is probably above what the average 9 year old sleeps on and I hope it lasts him all the way to college, maybe even through. So my conscience is clean. :slight_smile:

Any advice as to what kind of foundation/mattress box we should set it on? Should we just grab a 100 $ one from ikea? Same with the metal frame beneath?

We do not want to go the platform bed route as this also involves looking for a good quality piece of furniture which most are not, at least not at low prices; plus I am not crazy about the low height of most platform beds.

My fear is not to get a box that will start squeaking fast. Any recs would be appreciated. Thank you so much again for your help.

Hi Syracusa,

The foundation post here has more information and suggestions about foundations that would be suitable for different types of mattresses and also includes a link to the guidelines I would use for a metal bedframe (near the end). In the case of a latex mattress I would make sure a slatted wood foundation had gaps between the slats that were no more than 3" (preferably less). I’m not sure if the Ikea Aram foundation would meet the criteria but I would guess that it doesn’t and I would avoid a foundation that used a cardboard surface that doesn’t allow the mattress to ventilate. Any of their slatted bases on a suitable bedframe would be fine.

Phoenix

Thank you, Phoenix.
You have been of great help!