IKEA MORGONGÅVA v. BROOKLYN BEDDING

Hello:

I really appreciate the wealth of information on this forum. I learned a lot reading posts however apparently I still need advice deciding.

My wife and I are around 135 pounds and we have been having some back pain on our 7-year memory foam mattress and we came to conclusion its time to get a new bed. We are back sleepers by the way.

After reading a lot on this forum and also trying out different mattresses in store, we are leaning towards latex mattress, especially the IKEA MORGONGÅVA and probably Brooklyn Bedding. Our main concern for the IKEA are the following:

• Thickness (7 7/8") - WILL THIS BE A PROBLEM?
  • Refund policy if this doesn’t work out

What’s your take on these 2 mattresses based on the information we gave you? Also, whats your recommended base for this kind of mattress. We are open to different mattress recommendations as well.

Appreciate your help! Thanks!!

I’m currently in a current situation (also looking at Brooklyn Bedding and the Ikea Heggedal). Brooklyn has a very good return policy for their BME (100% money back if you buy direct from them). I believe that Ikea’s return policy allows you to exchange your mattress for an equally priced one (you can only do this once obviously). Sorry I can’t speak to the quality of either because I’m a mattress noob.

Hi avesthedave,

I can’t help with “what” to choose since only you can decide that but hopefully I can provide some information that can help you with “how” to choose.

I’m assuming that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

Since PPP and how well you will sleep on a mattress is the most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase when you are testing mattresses locally then the most reliable way to know whether a mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (or whether it is thick enough for you) is your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post).

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (such as Brooklyn Bedding) who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept well on and liked that they are familiar with, any special considerations you may have, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about helping you to “match” their specific mattress designs or firmness options to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences or even to other mattresses that they are familiar with than anyone else so that in combination with your own personal testing you can make the “best possible” choice with the highest chance of success.

For those people that are uncertain about whether an online choice (or even a local choice) would be suitable for them then the options you have after a purchase to “fine tune” the mattress or exchange or return it would become a more important part of the “value” of a purchase so that you can use your actual sleeping experience to decide whether you will sleep well on the mattress. I would also keep in mind that an exchange policy is only worthwhile if there is another mattress available to you that you would choose to purchase.

The Morgongava is a two sided mattresses that uses high quality materials (85% natural latex made by Mountaintop Foam with a wool quilted cotton cover) so there are no lower quality materials or “weak links” in the mattress in terms of durability. There are also some comments about it in this topic and this topic and this topic and a forum search on Morgongava (you can just click the link) will bring up more comments and feedback about it as well. There are also a few people that have mentioned that it had a strong smell (see posts #14, 18, 21, and 22 in this topic but this doesn’t seem to be consistent from mattress to mattress.

There is also more about the Brooklyn Bedding BestMattressEver in post #2 here of the simplified choice topic. A forum search on BestMattressEver (you can just click the link) will also bring up many more comments and feedback about it as well but it also uses very high quality and durable materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in this mattress either that would affect durability or the useful life of the mattress. They also have a great return policy that lets you test the mattress in your bedroom instead of in a showroom with very little risk but of course you won’t be able to test it in person before a purchase.

Once you are confident that all your finalists would be a good match for you in terms of PPP (or you have good exchange/return options after a purchase if you aren’t) and that there are no weak links in any of them in terms of durability (which there aren’t) then you would be down to finalists that are comparing “good to good”. If there are no clear winners between them at this point (which is usually a good indication that you have done some good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely make a good quality/value choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on any local testing or mattresses you have slept well on in the past, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers and any cost involved, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. Sometimes your final choice may even come down to some fairly small differences that are just a matter of “gut feel” or “educated best judgement”.

Phoenix