IKEA Morgongava Vs Spindle

Hi! I’m in the market for a full size mattress for my daughter. I’ve looked at a lot of the forums here, and done some research on websites, and have narrowed it down to the IKEA Morgongava and the Spindle based on the following factors (yes, I realize a 10" mattress would be considered overboard by some for a kid):

1. No gross chemicals (took out a lot of options; I don’t care if they are certified organic or not)
    2 Price vs Quality (a lot of so-called kids mattresses are around the same price as these 2, and since I sleep with her occasionally, I’d like some support, too)
    3 Firm support (because it just needs to be “firm”, it doesn’t bother me buying it online/not being able to test it)
    4 Ability to grow with her/readjust (which is only possible with the Spindle, and not possible with “kids” mattresses)
    5 Durability (somehow latex seems to be more durable to me than coils in the long run, but perhaps I’m wrong)

In looking at the forums, it seems both the Ikea and the Spindle use Dunlop latex from the same manufacturer (Mountaintop), but I am wondering if the quality of the two is somehow different? I’m guessing Spindles higher cost for a similar mattress because it uses higher quality quilting and ticking, pays its employees a living wage (hopefully), and has lower volumes than Ikea (all things I’m happy to pay slightly more for if its going to a good company). I also like that Spindle will work with you to adjust comfort if its needed.

My questions:
Are there other factors to consider in terms of the quality of latex or firmness (since in neither case, details of construction are really listed on their sites)?
Are there other mattresses you know of in this price range that would hit the above criteria?

Thanks much for your help! This site is a valuable resource for this confusing shopping experience. :cheer:

Hi linzykins,

The weakest link in a mattress is generally in the softer comfort layers not in the deeper support core so an innerspring isn’t normally a weak link in a mattress. There is more about latex vs innerspring support cores in post #13 here.

They would be very closely comparable in terms of durability and performance but Spindle uses 100% natural continuous pour Dunlop which is a more costly material vs the the 85% natural and 15% synthetic blend used in the Morgongava so it would depend on whether the natural rubber content was important to you. They also use individual 3" layers of latex which can be rearranged or replaced so as you mentioned you would have more options both before and after a purchase to customize the mattress or to fine tune the mattress as your child’s needs and preferences change over time and their cover also uses higher quality and more costly materials as well. Of course they also use more latex which adds to the cost as well.

It may also be worth considering the Spindle 7" “B stock” mattress here.

Spindle does include all the specifics of their mattress construction and design that most people would want to know on their page here (you can just click the different tabs for more specifics). If you have any questions that aren’t included on these pages then they are very knowledgeable and can certainly go into as much additional detail as you wish if you give them a call.

You may have read this already but post #2 here and the topics it links to also has much more information about mattresses and children and “safe” materials including a link to some general guidelines for children in post #2 here. It includes a number of links to the better forum posts and topics about mattress and children as well which also include more information about many good options for children which may also be worth considering in a wide range of prices.

Outside of any other options that may be available locally … some of the better online latex and latex hybrid options I’m aware of that are lower budget ranges listed in posts #3 and #4 here although they don’t include mattresses that would generally be suitable for children only such as the Spindle “B Stock” mattress or the Arizona Premium children’s mattress here.

Phoenix

Thanks for the quick response!
I would totally go for the Spindle B stock, but unfortunately it only seems to come in a twin size. :frowning:
Thanks for pointing out the tab detail info - I completely missed that, ha!
Spindle is likely closed now, but I’ll be calling to order tomorrow most likely. Thanks for your help!
-linzykins

P.S. totally unrelated question - have you ever heard of anyone (who has good eye/hand coordination) cutting their latex (the horrors!) to get different comfort levels on different sides and had good success with a DIY approach? I’m not asking for this mattress purchase, but expect to need to buy a new mattress for myself/husband in the next few months and the thought of having to redo all my research just to find a zoned latex mattress that is affordable makes me want to curl up into a little ball.

Hi linzykins,

As long as you aren’t making horizontal cuts to “slit” the foam into a different thickness which would generally need specialized equipment that you would normally find at a mattress manufacturer, a foam fabricator or supplier, or perhaps a fabric or upholstery store … it’s not difficult to cut foam to size using an electric knife and all you need is an electric carving knife and a straight edge for a guide and just go carefully and slowly and move the knife in one direction (not a sawing motion). There are some great instructions in post #3 here and you can also see some pictures here of a home setup that was used to make some more complex cuts using an electric knife.

There are also many manufacturers that sell component latex mattresses that will do side by side splits in queen or king sizes (including many of the members of this site that sell latex mattresses online that are listed in post #21 here) that allow you to choose different firmness options on each side of a mattress. There is also more about split layering in post #21 here. Some of them sell zoned latex mattresses as well.

If you are attracted to the idea of designing and building your own DIY mattress out of separate components and a separate cover then the first place I would start is by reading option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well) so that you have more realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process. While it can certainly be a rewarding project … the best approach to a DIY mattress is a “spirit of adventure” where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not happen).

If you decide to take on the challenge then I would either use the specs (if they are available) of a mattress that you have tested and confirmed is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) as a reference point and try and “match” them as closely as possible or use a “bottom up” approach (see post #2 here).

Assuming that you decide to pull the trigger on the Spindle mattress … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You are certainly making a great quality/value choice and I hope you have the chance to share your comments and feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix