Ikea MYRBACKA latex/poly?

Hey Phoenix. We went to Ikea today and tested a few mattresses. They use the MYRBACKA name on both a memory foam and a latex mattress. The link below is for the latex. Although it appears to be a poly foam with latex upper portion. The reason I’m not sure is that the cut out section they display appears that the poly and latex are a single layer ( I can’t see any seam) I actually took a photo which I could upload but frankly I feel a bit sneaky taking a picture and posting it on an online forum. If there is a way for me to post it for your eyes only?

The bottom line is this mattress felt great for both my wife and I. It actually felt better than the all latex MORGONGVA (this was our first time laying on latex) It was only 8" thick so maybe that was the reason.

Regarding the MYRBACKA materials would you be able to offer a comparison to the Tuft and Needle 10" or the Casper based on the specs shown? I have been leaning towards getting the T&N but this Ikea is $100 cheaper in King and we most definitely are on a tight budget.( I realize the T&N is all poly with a special top part and the Casper actually says latex as a top similar to this Ikea)
Thanks

Hi klphoto7,

You can see a picture of the Myrbacka latex that shows the layers in post #3 here.

Unfortunately the Myrbacka and the Tuft & Needle and the Casper are completely different mattresses with different designs and materials so there really isn’t any way to compare them in terms of how they feel or PPP except in very general terms.

The Tuft and Needle uses a 3" comfort layer that is a high performance 2.8 lb polyfoam that would be less resilient or “springy” than latex but more resilient than memory foam (see posts #2 and #6 here). It has a 7" 1.8 lb polyfoam support core.

The Casper has 1.5" of synthetic latex on top of 1.5" of 4 lb memory foam so the surface “feel” would be more resilient like latex but with only a thin latex layer it would also have some of the slow response “feel” of the memory foam underneath it as you sink into it. It also has a 7" 1.8 lb polyfoam support core.

The Myrbacka has what appears to be about 6" of synthetic latex over a 3" 2.2 lb polyfoam support core so it would have more of a “latex” feel and resilience than either of the other two although synthetic Dunlop latex is less resilient than 100% natural Dunlop or Talalay latex.

None of this factors in anything about the relative firmness levels of any of the materials or the mattress as a whole.

None of them have any low quality materials or weak links in their design.

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply. Good to know that there are no weak links.

“Top of Myrbacka latex sample unzipped. Note sample is only half the length of mattress. Zoning is not as evident on top of latex, but bottom is glued to polyfoam so can’t take a picture of that.”

The above is taken from the description of the MYRBACKA photo. Sorry but Im not quite getting what the poster is trying to tell us. Is it that the foam is differently zoned somehow along different parts of the mattress for more/less support for different parts of the body maybe?

Also is there anything about synthetic latex from a comfort or durability aspect that I should be concerned about?

Thanks.

Hi klphoto,

You can see a picture of some Mountaintop continuous pour Dunlop latex (which is what the Ikea mattresses use) with the 7 different zones in post #73 here (the smaller pincores are firmer and the larger pincores are the softer sections). There is also more about zoning in post #11 here and the posts it links to.

“Comfort” is subjective and different people will have different preferences for different types of materials or different types and blends of latex but there would be no durability concerns no (that’s what I meant when I mentioned there are no “weak links” in the mattress). There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

Phoenix

Hi Pheonix-

In a couple of places I’ve seen you mention that the new Tuft and Needle 3" top layer uses 2.8 lb polyfoam.

However, before I ordered my new 10" TN in December, I wrote to them to ask several questions, one was to verify the density of the new top foam layer, and if the new design indeed now contained 2 layers instead of the previous 3 layers of foam.

Here is a response from TN on December 1, 2014:

"We did redesign our mattress and now our product has 2 layers, with the top layer of our new foam. The top layer is about 3.5 lbs density. This recently released model of our foam is a solution to our only complaint in customer feedback: our previous mattress was too firm. "

Have you talked to them since then, and is the 3.5 lb density top layer not correct?

Would 3.5 lb polyfoam potentially last longer than 2.8 lb? I am hoping so, and hope that the new top layer is indeed 3.5 lb.

Thanks.

Hi Sheep123,

One of the things that makes Tuft & Needle somewhat different from many other manufacturers that make “one firmness fits all” mattresses is that they are constantly working towards improving their mattress based on a continuous flow of customer feedback and their own experience along with the experience of the foam manufacturer they work with so that their mattress will “match” the needs and preferences of a larger percentage of consumers.

When they introduced their new design they did use a 3.5 lb polyfoam but they have since changed it to a 2.8 lb polyfoam (see the bottom of the page here) that they believe has better properties.

When you are comparing polyfoam materials in this density range there would be no meaningful difference in terms of durability.

Phoenix

I received my new mattress December 17. They had started shipping their new design on November 18.

I am surprised that they would make another redesign in just 2-3 months.

I am going to contact them to see which version I have. I’m not too concerned about it, because whatever we have is perfect for my own PPP and I haven’t slept this well in years, but I’m just curious. I’m quite sure that the old TN version in earlier 2014 would have been too firm.

Thanks for the help Pheonix. If I find anything different out, I’ll post it in the Tuft and Needle 10" diary.

I just discovered that Ikea does NOT give your money back on mattress purchases.Instead its a Love it or exchange it only once for 90 days. Unfortunately thats a deal breaker for me. They do not have a good enough selection for me to chance it.

Mattresses “Love it or Exchange it” Return Policy:
You may exchange your mattress once within 90 days if you don’t love it. Return your mattress with your receipt to the store and select your new mattress. We are unable to exchange your mattress if your merchandise is found to be dirty, stained, damaged or abused

[quote=“klphoto7” post=48886]I just discovered that Ikea does NOT give your money back on mattress purchases.Instead its a Love it or exchange it only once for 90 days. Unfortunately thats a deal breaker for me. They do not have a good enough selection for me to chance it.

Mattresses “Love it or Exchange it” Return Policy:
You may exchange your mattress once within 90 days if you don’t love it. Return your mattress with your receipt to the store and select your new mattress. We are unable to exchange your mattress if your merchandise is found to be dirty, stained, damaged or abused
.[/quote]

That was a deal breaker for DH and I as well. We purchased a tuft and needle delevery on 2/16. :whistle:

Phoenix. Do you have any suggestions as to another source for the type of synthetic Dunlop mattresses with similar characteristics to the Ikea? Also around the same price point or within say $200 tops but with a better refund/exchange policy.
My wife fell in love with the Myrbacka (she spent along time testing it out in various positions) and would like an alternative.
If not we will probably try out the T&N 10"
Thanks.

Hi klphoto7,

Dreamfoam sells the Freedom customizable latex mattress here which also uses synthetic latex made by Mountaintop foam and one of the layering combinations may feel similar to you compared to the feel and firmness of the Myrbacka but the only way to really know how two mattresses that have different designs would compare for you would be based on your own personal testing or experience.

There are also links to some of the lower budget online latex and latex hybrid options I’m aware of in posts #3 and #4 here (including some latex/polyfoam hybrids) but once again they all have different designs and/or use different types and blends of latex and while some may feel similar to you (depending on the mattress or the options you choose for the ones that have customizable layers) … if a mattress has a different design that uses different types or blends of latex or different thickness or firmness levels of latex or other materials or components that are different (including a different cover and quilting) then the only way for you to really know how they would compare to another mattress would be based on your own personal testing or experience. Some of them may be a better “match” for you than the Myrbacka in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and some of them may be less suitable for you.

The Tuft & Needle certainly uses high quality materials in its budget range but it would also be very different from a latex hybrid mattress.

Phoenix