IKEA Myrbacka vs. Brooklyn Bedding #BestMattressEver?

I am currently shopping for a new mattress and after trying many models, have decided that I like the feel of latex over foam.

I have tried the Ikea Myrbacka in store, but am also highly interested in the #BestMattressEver by Brooklyn Bedding due to what I’ve read about it being made of high quality materials for the price range.

Both of these beds appear to be similar in terms of material: synthetic latex over polyfoam, but with a price difference of a couple hundred dollars. Is the Myrbacka good quality and a good value, or are there any weak links I should know about?

Before I purchase the Myrbacka (I hesitate due to Ikea’s poor exchange/return policy) I’d love to hear how this bed may compare the Best Mattress Ever (Which although more expensive does have a stellar return policy which may sway me in its favor.)

Thank you.

Hi finnaeus,

The Myrbacka mattress uses a comfort layer made from synthetic continuous pour Dunlop made by Mountaintop Foam on top of a thinner layer of 2.2 lb polyfoam. Based on their description their cover is a blend of viscose/rayon and polyester that is quilted with natural and synthetic fibers but they don’t mention the thickness of the quilting materials so it’s not really possible to know whether it would be a weak link in the mattress although based on the picture here it’s probably inside the guidelines of “no more than about an inch or so of lower quality materials” that I suggest in the quality/durability guidelines here.

The Brooklyn Bedding BestMattressEver uses 2" of blended Talalay latex (which is a more costly and more resilient type of latex) on top of 2" of the same synthetic continuous pour Dunlop on top of a 6" 2.0 lb polyfoam support core. The quilted cover is made from cotton and is quilted to a thin polyfoam layer.

Overall the materials in the BestMattressEver would be more costly than the materials in the Myrbacka and it has a more sophisticated 3 layer progressive design but neither one of them have any lower quality materials or weak links in the design in terms of durability.

Other than the materials and the design of the mattress … the BestMattressEver also comes in three firmness levels and it also has a great trial and return policy so there is no risk in trying it to see if it would be a good match for you in terms of PPP. The Myrbacka comes in a single firmness level and Ikea only has a 90 day exchange policy but no refund so unless you are confident that it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP it would be a more risky purchase if it doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and they don’t have another mattress that would be a suitable and durable choice to replace it with.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences or even to other mattresses that they are familiar with than anyone else.

There is more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP in post #2 here that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for once you actually sleep on your mattress.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and “value”.

When you are down to finalists that are all choices between “good and good” and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design and if there are no clear winners between them then you are in the fortunate position that either of them would likely be a good choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences, the options you have after a purchase to return or exchange the mattress, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix