Ikea Sultan Finnvik equivalent recommendations? Sub $500 foam mattress

[quote=“Phoenix” post=61518] I would tend to avoid using complex specs to try and predict how a mattress will feel or perform for you. When you try and choose a mattress based on complex combinations of specs that you may not fully understand or only based on specs for a single layer or component that may not be as relevant or meaningful as you believe it is then the most common outcome is “information overload” and “paralysis by analysis”.
[/quote]

Too Late! Just looking at mattresses over the past few months had me at the paralysis by analysis state. But I get your point. I have a bad habit of trying to solve what I can’t by money by research/“temporary experting” which sometimes works, and sometimes is a dreadful failure. The two choices I’ve made so far were not because they were the best, but because I threw my hands up and new I had good return options.

That makes sense. It doesn’t help me figure out how it compares to the older model, but at least I know that it may or may not have relevancy related to the equivalent feel of the mattress.

I love Verlo mattresses! My 25 year old mattress is from there, and honestly, it held up amazingly well. Unfortunately, they’re out of my price range. They also were bought out recently(ish) - the sales person I spoke to gave me the impression he was not thrilled with the current management and quality. I am inferring some of that but we got to talking and he hinted around it. It still seemed like one of the better options if it were in my price range.

I just found Beloit Mattresses earlier today when exploring the member sites here. It is definitely one I will look into more. I drive past Ken Michael’s furniture all the time, but have never stopped in. I guess I should at least check it out.

While what you are saying makes a lot of sense - I perhaps foolishly got the idea in my head of ordering some foam as a base layer from Foam By Mail, or even finding a local foam shop. I found two local companies that appear to carry the correct foams (will need to call and confirm.). I read this topic and some of the related posts you linked in it. Which leads me down the rabbit hole of other posts linked in those posts.

I’m just entertaining the idea at this point, but sort of wondering if buying a 6" HD36-R foam or 4" HD36-R and 2" LUX-R foam wouldn’t make a good base for now to include with my memory foam topper. I am still reading, and I know it’s risky to do it this way without the specific experience. On the other hand, the cost is both low, and it really appeals to me that I could try various layers as I was able to afford it, making the “perfect” bed over time. I’d be going with a base with a shorter expectancy, but if I truly loved it, could go with a longer lasting base down the road. I’ve got an encasement which will be too big, but can get a properly sized cover once I am happy with the layers.

But I am really just entertaining the idea at this point.

Yup, that is why I’m looking. Honestly, I hate talking on the phone, but probably need to suck it up for this.

Thank you for all your help. It’s given me some food for thought. I had hoped finding a bed that worked would make the next steps easier, but I see now I have a lot of research in front of me.