Ikea Sultan Heggedal as a "no heat" mattress solution?

My current mattress is a Serta innerspring mattress with a thin layer of memory foam on top. I’ve struggled with heat issues for the past year or so and lately it has become an increasingly big issue for me. I find frequently unable to sleep through the night because I wake up very hot and I’m unable to fall back asleep. This has taken quite a toll on me as I’m not able to get a good nights sleep no matter how tired I am.

I’m looking for a new mattress and my #1, #2, and #3 criteria are “must not ‘sleep hot’”. I’m very reluctant to make a purchase because it’s difficult to test a mattress for heat issues in the showroom (since it’s usually not noticeable for ~20 minutes). I’m also very reluctant to purchase anything with memory foam (and because of my ignorance, I’m also weary of latex as well).

The Ikea Sultan Heggedal caught my attention because of the “natural” materials that they claim in the description. This makes me want to believe that it will not get hot in the night. I’ve also read that this mattress is quite firm which I understand also helps with temperature issues. I know this mattress has a latex layer but I think I’m trying to convince myself that it’s not going to be an issue :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m wondering if anyone has first hand experience sleeping on this mattress and can speak to how comfortable it is temperature-wise. Especially if you’re a very heat sensitive person like I am. Thanks for the help!

Hi savesthedave,

While it’s not possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved (including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials … there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range. Some of the suggestions may also help you with any temperature issues with your current mattress as well.

Having said that … since latex is generally the most breathable and “temperature neutral” of all the foam materials (memory foam, polyfoam, latex foam) and because the Heggedal also has an innerspring under the latex which would improve airflow and since it also has wool in the quilting it would probably be fair to say that “most people” wouldn’t have any issues with temperature regulation with this mattress.

You can read a little more about the Heggedal in post #3 here and a forum search on Heggedal (you can just click the link) will bring up more information and feedback about it as well.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

There are no lower quality materials or obvious weak links in the Heggedal in terms of durability so if you have confirmed that the Heggedal is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) and it compares well with the other mattresses that you are also looking at or that are available to you based all the other criteria that are important to you then it would certainly be well worth considering.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. I went and checked out the Heggedal yesterday in the store. I tried to gauge how this mattress might be temperature-wise but it was too difficult judge under the conditions of laying on display mattress in a busy Ikea. Unfortunately I walked away no closer to a decision. I will say that it was quite a bit softer than I expected (maybe because the display model sees a lot of abuse).

They had a cut-away of what the mattress looks like on the inside. I should have snapped a picture for other people on the forum who are interested. If I go back I’ll make sure to take a photo.

In the meantime, I’ll continue researching and maybe take another crack at a purchase next weekend. Thanks again

Hi savestheddave,

Thanks for the update.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding and of course any other comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix