IKEAMORGONGÅVA latex vs MORGEDAL poly

First of all, thank you Phoenix for this awesome resource in learning about mattresses!

My wife and I are looking for a new mattress, we’re living in San Francisco while my wife finishes school, and we need to save every last penny.

How does the Morgedal compare to the Morgongava? Will it last us 5 years without deforming? I’ve purchased a cheap foam mattress from IKEA before and it didn’t even make it 30 days, but to be fair, I think it was a kids mattress.

We both like firm mattresses. I weight 180lbs, 6ft tall. She weighs 120lbs, 5ft 10.

I’m tempted to just buy the Morgedal, if it would last 5 years without deformation. It felt great at the store but if it deforms an inch over the next year then that’s a serious change in alignment.

I’ll buy the Morgongava if need be as I presume it’s going to last around 10 years, it’s much higher quality materials, and I doubt it’s going to deform much, but It’s a bit more money than I have.

Thank you for any insite on how the Morgedal performs and on a comparison between the two. I’ve seen the innards for these in the photo comparison page, and I’ve tried them both, I just want to make sure it lasts.

Hi nameless1,

You can see some pictures of the Morgedal firm and medium mattresses in post #3 here. While the base layer is 2.2 lb polyfoam which is a good quality material … the top layer of a mattress is normally the weakest link in a mattress because it is the layer that is most subject to the constant compression and deflection that is the main reason that foam will soften or break down over time and the top 4" - 4.5" layer in the Morgedal is 1.7 lb polyfoam which is a little lower quality/density then the 1.8 lb polyfoam that I would normally suggest as a minimum guideline for comfort layers (although it’s better than most mattresses in a similar budget range).

You can also see a picture of the Morgongava in the same link. It is an all latex mattress and uses a blend of latex that is 85% natural and 15% synthetic. Latex in general is the most durable of all the foam materials so there are no lower quality materials or weak links that would be any cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of the mattress.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While there is no way to quantify how long any mattress will last for a specific person or predict exactly when you will decide to replace it because it is no longer suitable or comfortable for you (because this is the only real measure of durability or the useful life of a mattress that really matters) because there are too many unknowns and variables involved that are unique to each person … if a mattress is well inside a suitable comfort/support range and isn’t close to the edge of being too soft when it is new (see post #2 here) and you have confirmed that it meets the minimum quality/durability specs that are suggested in the guidelines here then it would be reasonable to expect a useful lifetime in the range of 7 - 10 years and with higher quality and more durable materials like latex or higher density memory foam or polyfoam (in the comfort layers especially) it would likely be in the higher end of the range or even longer and the chances that you would have additional “bonus time” would be higher as well.

There is also more detailed information about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress in post #4 here.

Assuming that you have done some careful testing on the Morgedal and have confirmed that it is well inside the comfort/support range that is suitable for you … since the foam density of the top layer is a little lower than the recommended guidelines, it would be reasonable to expect that it would only maintain it’s comfort and support for less than 7 years although how much less would depend on how sensitive you are to any foam softening over time that would affect your support/alignment on the mattress. I would keep in mind that foam softening and the loss of comfort and support is the most common reason that you will need to replace a mattress (even if there aren’t any visible impressions that are deeper than the warranty exclusions) but since the density of the top layer is only a little lower than the minimum it’s possible that it could last you for 5 years although this wouldn’t be a certainty.

Again assuming that you have done some careful testing on the Morgongava and have confirmed that it is also well inside the comfort/support range that is suitable for you … since it uses latex which is a very durable material then it would be reasonable to expect that it would last you closer to 10 years and the possibility for “bonus time” after that would be higher as well. It would certainly be a much more durable choice than the Morgedal.

Some of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the San Francisco/Berkeley/Oakland areas (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply) are listed in post #2 here.

I would also keep in mind that the most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase is how well you sleep on it and on how well it matches your unique needs and preferences in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) because there would be little value in a mattress purchase that you don’t sleep well on regardless of it’s price or the durability of the materials. A mattress purchase and how well and how deeply you sleep on the mattress you purchase will have a bigger effect on your overall well being (both waking and sleeping), and on your mental and physical functions and recovery than almost any other purchase you will make over the course of the next 5 - 10 years.

Phoenix

Thank you for the reply!

We have two twin beds that we separate by a few inches at night to keep from waking each other, so I wound up getting two of the Poly, Firm, Morgedal. I really wanted the latex mattress, but the Morgedal was only $400 for two, instead of $1200. Assuming the Morgedal lasts at least 3 years I can replace three sets of these for $1200 over 9 years. I’m guessing it will last longer, at least in the firm version, but time will tell.

For the last 4 years I’ve otherwise been sleeping on a cheap inflatable foam camping mattress from REI, and I’ve no complaints really. I’ll disagree with you on one point - that your mattress has the biggest effect on overall well being . I’ll respectfully say that it comes in second place, behind a gym membership. If I weren’t in the shape that I’m in there’s no way I could sleep on a camping mattress for 4 years without issue. :slight_smile: Core strength, strong shoulders and hips make the biggest difference in keeping the aches and pains away.

My 2 cents on the Morgongava are that it is VERY soft. Almost too soft for me, but it supports well, so I wound up liking how it feels. I’ve read a lot of posts about how firm it is and that’s not been my experience. It is a very soft mattress.

Hi nameless1,

I don’t think you’ll find much argument that a gym membership (or at least some form of regular exercise) would be right up there as well … right along with healthy eating.

After sleeping on a camping mattress your frame of reference and perceptions of firmness and softness would probably be quite different from most people … but if it feels soft to you then that’s good enough for me!

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I purchased the queen Morgongava mattress (“medium-firm” - which is Ikea’s “softest” ) with the Luroy slats and a Malm bed frame. Initially I thought it was way to firm - pressure points galore on lower back. But after replacing the Luroy slats with the Lonset slats the difference is nothing short of amazing! The Luroy slats are very stiff whereas the Lonset slats provide a softer and springier feel to the mattress, making it much easier to move around and sleep on your side like I sometimes do. By adding a 2 inch high density memory foam topper to my rig (4 pounds or higher purchased through Amazon - pink colored) I now sleep in in total heavenly bliss! Pressure points are completely eliminated, and the Lonset slats really do provide an amazing slightly springy support. My point here - if you find the Morgongava mattress too hard, I assure you that a box-spring or springier slats like the Lonset will make a WORLD of difference on how hard or soft the mattress will feel to you.

Hi Cfrivera,

Thanks for taking the time to come back after all this time and letting us know what you ended up deciding … and for sharing such detailed comments and feedback as well. I appreciate it.

Congratulations on your new “sleeping system” (Morgongave, Lonset, and memory foam topper) as well :).

When you were here before you mentioned that you were considering a DIY mattress and it seems that with the 3 main “active” components in your sleeping system that a version of a DIY mattress is what you ended up putting together and it’s great to hear that the choices you made worked out so well for you.

Phoenix

Thank you for this information, I am in the process of buying a new mattress and have been constantly thinking about the Morgongava as it’s the most resonable priced of natural latex mattresses available.

Hi buddhafest,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

While you may personally have an affinity for the Morgongava, and it certainly can be at a more “affordable” price point, I’d like to clarify a few points in your post, specifically that the latex used in the Morgongava is natural (it is a blend of 85% natural / 15% synthetic), and that it is the “most reasonably priced” latex mattress (there are quite a few similar options available online, some using 100% natural latex and even being component-style systems, such as a few listed in post #3 and #4 here). :wink:

Phoenix