ILD of Latex layer in Nest Bedding Love bed (FIRM/King size)

Does any one know what’s the ILD of 3" Latex layer in Nest Bedding Love bed (FIRM Version / King size) ?
i asked a question on their website around 2 days back, but still nothing happened.

I sent them an e-mail too asking about their materials origins and I haven’t gotten a response back either. I appreciate that the bed is made in America, but if the materials aren’t sourced in the States, it means nothing.

First time poster, hello Phoenix! Thank you for setting up this website, it’s been helpful thus far for me! I appreciate it greatly!

I asked ILD questions about it as well via email and on their site and only got evasive answers. I’m sure it’s a good bed but it was enough to make me go with Brooklyn Bedding instead as they are much more transparent.

I agree. What really attracted me to the Love Bed was the fact that I could order in soft (the girlfriend and I are both side sleepers), that they use mostly natural materials, pricing, and made in USA. But if they can’t be fully open with their beds, who knows what else they are hiding?

Hi amun,

[quote]Does any one know what’s the ILD of 3" Latex layer in Nest Bedding Love bed (FIRM Version / King size) ?
i asked a question on their website around 2 days back, but still nothing happened. [/quote]

If for some reason you haven’t received a reply to your question I would probably call them and ask them your question in person.

Having said that … ILD is also only one of several specs that makes one material feel softer or firmer than another (see post #4 here) and the ILD of different materials or different types and blends of latex also aren’t directly comparable to each other. The ILD of a single layer also isn’t particularly meaningful because every layer and component in a mattress will have an effect on every other layer in the mattress and on the mattress as a whole so the quilting foam, the quilting pattern, and the support core will all have an effect on how sort of firm the mattress feels. Putting too much focus on ILD alone or any single spec will most often be more misleading than helpful.

Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that is firm for one can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here).

Unless you have a great deal of knowledge and experience with different types of mattress materials and components and their specs and different layering combinations and mattress designs and how they combine together and can translate them into your own “real life” experience that can be unique to you … I would tend to avoid using complex specs to try and predict how a mattress will feel or perform for you. When you try and choose a mattress based on complex combinations of specs that you may not fully understand or only based on a single spec for a single layer that may not be as relevant or meaningful as you believe it is then the most common outcome is “information overload” and “paralysis by analysis”.

The only way to know how firm or soft any mattress will feel to you will be based on your own personal testing or sleeping experience.

If you are uncertain about your firmness choice when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or even to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Don’t forget that these are “simplified choice” mattresses and they have a great return/exchange policy that lets you test the mattress in your bedroom instead of a showroom so either your firmness choice will work out well for you or you can exchange or return the mattress without any risk.

Again … no matter how much you try and “analyze” specs to try and predict how a mattress mattress will feel you won’t know how it feels to you until you sleep on it.

Phoenix

Hi jmor88,

Welcome … and I’m glad you found us.

Their continuous pour synthetic latex is made by Mountaintop foam in the US, the foams in their mattresses are poured in the US, and the mattress is also manufactured in the US as well.

Phoenix

Hi zexpress,

See my reply to amun two posts previous to this one.

ILD information by itself is among the least important information you would need to know when you are purchasing a mattress and will tell you very little about how a mattress will feel to you.

Phoenix

jmor88.

They have absolutely no reason to “hide” any relevant information about their mattress and from my perspective they are completely open and transparent about all the materials in their mattress that would in any way be relevant (and are more transparent than most of the industry). Your comments seem somewhat odd to me.

Just for clarification as well … none of the materials in the Love Bed are “mostly natural”. The Talalay layer is blended Talalay (about 30% natural and 70% synthetic rubber) and the polyfoam in the quilting layer and the support core is of course a synthetic material.

Phoenix

Where do you see the Love Bed uses Talalay latex? In my email discussion with Joe he said it uses Dunlop.

Thanks zexpress/jmor88/Phoenix for your replies!!
i agree with Phoenix, regarding overall feel of the bed, but it will give an idea(at least) what we are getting

&

as jmor88 pointed out, i feel more comfortable with manufacturers who gives FULL details about the product they are selling. the product may contain best or good or bad materials, but the final product may be BEST.
i would like to be the JUDGE of what i am getting into & always lean towards buying who is OPEN about their products.

Thanks for the reply Phoenix! I tried looking for the information on their website but I was unable to find it. It would be nice if they would update their website to include that information as well as include an email address or contact form, because I had a hard time finding that as well.

It would be nice if Joe came in here and cleared things up for us :slight_smile:

Hi zexpress,

Sorry … the information I listed was incorrect and should have said that their latex is synthetic convoluted continuous pour Dunlop made by Mountaintop foam in the US. I’ve corrected my original reply … and thanks for bringing the mistake to my attention.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=53992]Hi zexpress,

Sorry … the information I listed was incorrect and should have said that their latex is synthetic convoluted continuous pour Dunlop made by Mountaintop foam in the US. I’ve corrected my original reply … and thanks for bringing the mistake to my attention.

Phoenix[/quote]

No worries but this is sorta the point that I think is being made in this thread. While I don’t think Nest is purposely trying to hide what their mattress is made of it could lead to that impression. Simply answering the questions being asked on their site and via email instead of generic responses has got to be better for business than leaving people wondering why their question isn’t being answered or having to rely on incorrect information because the proper information isn’t supplied on their site.

Hi amun,

[quote]i agree with Phoenix, regarding overall feel of the bed, but it will give an idea(at least) what we are getting

&

as jmor88 pointed out, i feel more comfortable with manufacturers who gives FULL details about the product they are selling. the product may contain best or good or bad materials, but the final product may be BEST.
i would like to be the JUDGE of what i am getting into & always lean towards buying who is OPEN about their products.[/quote]

The ILD range for the mountaintop synthetic Dunlop continuous pour latex doesn’t even closely compare to the ILD’s of other types and blends of latex and the convoluting and the other layers in the mattress will also have a significant effect on how soft or firm their mattresses are so knowing the ILD won’t provide any meaningful information about how soft or firm their latex is compared to other types and blends of latex. Even worse … if a consumer somehow believed that their ILD range was comparable to other types and blends of latex or was a reliable way to know how soft or firm their mattresses would feel compared to other mattresses that used the same ILD in a single layer of latex that was a different type or blend of latex then they would be making a firmness choice based on information that would mislead them much more than help them. This is the type of information that consumers may “think” is meaningful but really isn’t.

Quite frankly if I was a retailer I wouldn’t provide the ILD information to my customers because I would realize that it would cause more harm than good and any knowledgeable manufacturer or retailer would also realize this as well. There would be little point in providing information that is misleading even if it’s accurate if you know ahead of time that it would be “mistranslated” and could too easily cause the type of feedback that says “but you told me that the ILD was such and such but it’s much firmer/softer than you told me it was”.

The ILD also has nothing to do with the quality of the material and is only a measure of softness/firmness that can be used to make relative comparisons with other latex layers that are the same type and blend of latex (or are convoluted in exactly the same way). It can’t be used to reliably compare softness/firmness between different types and blends of latex or latex layers that have any surface modifications.

Having said that … and even though it would be mostly meaningless … I have talked with Joe (the owner) and he has told me that he would provide the ILD range for their latex for those who ask.

Phoenix

Hi amun,

I would point out that the mistake was mine … not theirs … and I would be very cautious about criticizing a manufacturer or retailer that is completely transparent about all the materials in their mattress and will actually provide more information than I would if I was in their shoes when the vast majority of the retailers/manufacturers in the industry aren’t. There are limits to the “value” of transparency when a consumer doesn’t have the knowledge or experience to “translate” some of the information they are provided into something that would be meaningful to them.

Providing information that is meaningless to 99% of consumers only turns the “simplified choice” category into a “overwhelmingly complex choice” category.

If you are purchasing an online mattress then it would be somewhat strange to me if someone didn’t talk with them first either to make sure that the questions that are important to them are answered or to get some guidance about their firmness choices and buying a mattress without first communicating with the retailer/manufacturer first (outside of email … see post #4 here) I believe is a mistake.

@jmor88,

[quote]Thanks for the reply Phoenix! I tried looking for the information on their website but I was unable to find it. It would be nice if they would update their website to include that information as well as include an email address or contact form, because I had a hard time finding that as well.

It would be nice if Joe came in here and cleared things up for us :)[/quote]

Hopefully all your questions are answered now but if they aren’t they are only a phone call away and as I mentioned in the first part of this reply I would never look for answers to complex questions that have any “it depends” or “qualifiers” in the answer or that would require more than a single sentence “black and white” answer with an email.

Phoenix

Hi again Phoenix, I went ahead and purchased the Love Bed - medium firm level, I hope it’s not too firm for me! Thanks again for your help!

Hi jmor88,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you made a great quality/value choice and I hope you have the chance to share your comments and feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Man! I have been overwhelmed with the launch of The Love Bed and the overwhelming crush of orders, I am sorry I have not been able to post anything. And of course we don’t need to hide anything, come on now :slight_smile:

In the Soft we are using a convoluted C1 from Mt Top in the 19-22 range
In the Med we are using a convoluted C2 from Mt Top in the 26-30 range
In the Firm we are using a convoluted C4 from Mt Top in the 34-40 range

This is the dunlop process latex. In the Soft and Medium we have a small amount of convoluted foam above the latex, so please remember that if you are trying to gauge the feel strictly off these ranges it will feel different

Thanks everyone!

Ouch! Just found out that our [email protected] email address has been hung up and not forwarding through so there was weeks of inquiries in there. I am very sorry to all who wrote and didn’t hear back. I pride myself on responding to all customers personally. I am very sorry!

From what I can tell, from the description of the Love Bed on the Nest Bedding site, there’s about a couple inches of that convoluted foam above that latex. What’s the density (and perhaps any other relevant specs) of the foam?