I'm assuming this is a bad sign

So as I begin to search locally for a mattress to even try, I contacted a local shop that sells Therapedic mattresses. They have one on their website with microcoils in the comfort layer (which I understand may sleep “cooler” which is what I need) so I thought I’d email before heading that way to get the specs. in advance. On the website this is the description:

QUILT LAYER
Fire Resistant Barrier
Super Soft Comfort Foam
EUROTOP LAYER
2.4" Wrapped Coil MicroTopper, 1353* Coils
COMFORT LAYER
Plush Comfort Foam
CORE
800* Wrapped Coil Unit
High Density Support Foam
Entirely Foam Encased

I asked if they could tell me the specifics of the layer construction of the mattress, including the type and density of the foams used, the type of fireproofing used, gauge of the innerspring coils and overall thickness of the mattress in total. Given the description, I’m sure the foam is all some sort of polyfoam but I thought I’d see what they would disclose. Here is the response I got back from the owner. Though pleasant, seems less than forthcoming based on what I’ve read here - thoughts?

Unfortunately most of the questions you ask are trade secrets.
Manufacturers don’t release the information.
No manufacturer disclose the density of all foams used.
Pocketed coils are 13 guage, industry standard.
Microcoil thickness is not disclosed by Leggett & Platt.
Manufacturer does not disclose fireproofing products used.
Overall thickness of mattress is 15 ~ 16".

Hi photocat,

Yes, unfortunately the specifications listed on the web site don’t provide you enough details to make a meaningful assessment of the product (as you’re already aware). You’ll usually get your best answers by speaking with someone at a retail store in person, as opposed to an email, but as I always advise, don’t purchase anything for which you don’t have knowledge of the componentry. Looking at their comments:

Absolutely not true. They may not wish to share this information, or not be aware of it, but your questions are not secrets.

Again, this is most often not true. Now, there are some companies who make it difficult (especially the largest “S” brands), if not impossible, to get the density of their foams, but it’s been my experience that most Therapedic licensees are open to sharing their specifications with their retailers. It may be a situation where this retailer doesn’t have those specifications or is unwilling to provide/obtain them.

Absolute lie.

The spring unit isn’t usually the weak link in a mattress, and I’d be more interested in the foams. 13 gauge isn’t an industry standard for a pocketed coil spring unit, and most you’ll find will usually be a bit thinner. There really isn’t a “standard” for pocketed springs.

These can be made in different thicknesses (2.4" and 1.5"), as listed here on the Leggett and Platt site. The downloadable data sheet gives a sample of the 1353 unit at 17 gauge.

Generally, this would be a rayon/silica barrier, common in the industry. The most common method used to pass the regulations is the use of inherent fire barrier fabrics that are either quilted into the cover or are wrapped around the inner materials of the mattress like a sock. There is more information about fire retardant methods that are commonly used in the industry in post #2 here and in post #4 here.

You may still wish to visit this store to try out this mattress, but unless you get better answers from them about the foams I would advise caution about dealing with this retailer.

Phoenix

Thank you so much Phoenix. You definitely confirmed what I was thinking. I will likely visit the store if for no other reason then they are the only place around here (Central VA) that I know of (at this point) that has a microcoil mattress to try.

Hi photocat,

It will at least be worth your time to try out the product in person and also see if you can glean some extra information.

Phoenix