Importance of latex mattress thickness

Hello! I’ve been doing a ton of research about buying a new mattress, and believe it or not, somehow this website ended up being the last place I found! That’s unfortunate because I could have really saved some time, but everything happens for a reason and was able to really read about all the options of all mattresses and materials from a wide variety of websites, including the “bad guys.” Anyways, this site is great!

I became interested in latex because it seems to hit every important point I was looking for. I have a bad back and hips, so I need support. first and foremost. And my cheap foam mattress hadn’t lasted even two years before starting to sag.

I live in SE PA and intend to go to Magic Sleeper in Pottstown, PA to test some latex mattresses for the first time hopefully this week. I am between them and the cheaper and more customizable SleepEZ. But I am curious if there is a recommended overall thickness for latex mattresses. I couldn’t find this info on this website.

SleepEZ offers 7" 9" and 10". What are the advantages of the different thicknesses (I’l likely do S-M-F)? I’m a 29 year old male, 5’11", 190lbs, and my wife is 5’5" and about 130lbs. What factors should I consider when making this decision on the thickness?

Also does anyone have any experience with SleepEZ’s “Added Bonus” upgrade? From their website under mattress toppers: [quote]
“ADDED BONUS”
Save if you upgrade to a complete mattress
When you upgrade to one of our “Select Sleep” latex mattresses, we will increase the size of your cover to accommodate the next higher model FREE-OF-CHARGE. To upgrade, buy a less expensive model, and then get the cover upgraded to the next higher model. You just use your existing topper as one of the layers in the new mattress. Each layer in our models is approximately 3" thick. You just have to select the remaining layers.
Starting with the purchase of a latex topper is a great way to experience the ultimate comfort of latex without purchasing a new mattress.
[/quote]

Does it just mean that if I purchase the 7" mattress with 3" Medium and 3" Firm layers and then purchase a 3" Soft “topper,” it’s cheaper than if I purchased the 10" (3x3") mattress of the same layers? For a queen that about $200 in savings, but basically at the cost of losing some interchangability and the full mattress cover…

Hi dimethylman,

Welcome … and I’m glad you found us.

[quote]But I am curious if there is a recommended overall thickness for latex mattresses. I couldn’t find this info on this website.

SleepEZ offers 7" 9" and 10". What are the advantages of the different thicknesses (I’l likely do S-M-F)? I’m a 29 year old male, 5’11", 190lbs, and my wife is 5’5" and about 130lbs.[/quote]

The thickness of a mattress or the number of layers or the thickness of any individual layers inside it is really just a side effect of the design and the design goals of a mattress and is also only one of many variables that can affect the feel and performance of a mattress relative to any particular person and by itself isn’t particularly meaningful (see post #2 here). In some cases higher weight ranges (or a higher BMI) will sometimes do better with a mattress that is thicker than lower weight ranges or a lower BMI (see post #14 here for more about the effect of thickness) but even this depends more on the specific design and combination of materials in the mattress and on how well your testing or personal experience indicates the mattress “as a whole” matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP than it does on just the thickness itself.

If you are testing a mattress locally (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) then the most important factors to consider are whether the mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own personal preferences) regardless of the thickness of the mattress.

If you are considering online options and you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

[quote]Also does anyone have any experience with SleepEZ’s “Added Bonus” upgrade? From their website under mattress toppers: [quote]“ADDED BONUS”
Save if you upgrade to a complete mattress
When you upgrade to one of our “Select Sleep” latex mattresses, we will increase the size of your cover to accommodate the next higher model FREE-OF-CHARGE. To upgrade, buy a less expensive model, and then get the cover upgraded to the next higher model. You just use your existing topper as one of the layers in the new mattress. Each layer in our models is approximately 3" thick. You just have to select the remaining layers.
Starting with the purchase of a latex topper is a great way to experience the ultimate comfort of latex without purchasing a new mattress.[/quote]

Does it just mean that if I purchase the 7" mattress with 3" Medium and 3" Firm layers and then purchase a 3" Soft “topper,” it’s cheaper than if I purchased the 10" (3x3") mattress of the same layers? For a queen that about $200 in savings, but basically at the cost of losing some interchangability and the full mattress cover…[/quote]

This would apply to their customers that purchase a topper for use on an existing mattress and then decide to purchase a complete mattress at a later date.

As an example if you initially purchased a soft 3" topper and then decided later on to buy a 10" mattress (that includes 9" of latex) with S/M/F layers you could just purchase their 7" mattress (that includes 6" of latex) with firm and medium layers and let them know that you have already purchased a topper and they would ship you the two latex layers along with a thicker cover that will accommodate all 3 layers (the two they ship you and the topper you already own) instead of the cover that only fits two layers.

You’ve probably already seen this but just in case … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of (including Magic Sleeper) in and around the Philadelphia/Wilmington/Trenton areas (subject to making sure than any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #4 here.

Phoenix

Thanks for your thorough answer Phoenix!

I’m definitely going to check out at least the group in Pottstown, but also a few of the other companies around Philly after giving them a call.

Another quick question if I may regarding the interchangeable layers, specifically a comparison between SleepEZ and Spindle. The former uses 3 distinct layers (if that’s what you choose), while the latter uses 2 medium layers and a firm layer, and to alter the softness they say to flip the layer so the holes are facing up/down. I guess I’m just confused because they both have different IDLs and the direction of the holes have an effect apparently. Do you have any insights into the differences in either of these brands? Are mediums from both of them pretty much the same thing (100%natural dunlop).

Hi dimethylman,

In the Natural Select line SleepEZ provides a choice between blended Talalay or 100% natural Dunlop (made in a mold) in each of their layers and they have a choice of 4 different firmness levels for each layer in the mattress. They have a zippered natural cotton cover quilted with natural wool.

Spindle mattresses are made with 100% natural Dunlop made with a continuous pour process which produces latex with a slightly different “feel” than 100% natural Dunlop made in a mold. Dunlop generally has a slightly different firmness on each side of a layer because of the nature of the Dunlop manufacturing process and the settling of latex particles but the difference can be more pronounced with different pincore patterns used by some manufacturers such as the Dunlop made by Mountaintop foam that is used by Spindle so they only offer 2 firmness choices in each layer (with a different firmness on each side of the layer). They have a zippered organic cotton cover quilted with natural wool.

As Spindle discusses on their page here … ILD is only one of several variables that can affect the softness/firmness of a latex layer and the ILD of different types and blends of latex or even the same type and blend of latex that is made by a different manufacturer or with a different process often isn’t directly comparable based on ILD ratings so if you can’t test a mattress in person then your best source of guidance about the firmness of each layer that would have the best chance of success with each manufacturer would be a more detailed conversation with each of them.

They also have different exchange/return policies.

SleepEZ has an exchange/return policy that allows you to exchange a layer for a softer of firmer version for a flat cost of $30 and they have a 90 day trial period so if you are one of the very small minority where none of the layering combinations works well for you then you can return the mattress for a refund for a flat fee of $99.

Spindle has a 365 day comfort adjustment where for a flat fee of $150 they will send you a new layer with a different firmness and you can also keep the old layer. They also have a comfort life program that allows you to purchase a new layer for a 30% discount for 25 years if your needs and preferences change or if any of the layers have become too soft over time. They don’t have a return/refund policy.
ADMIN NOTE:Retired Website | Archived Footprint: Spindle Mattress

The durability of any of the latex that each of them offers would be closely comparable.

There is also more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here (this is the same post As I linked in my previous reply) which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Spindle and SleepEZ are both members of this site which means that I think highly of both of them and that I believe they both compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency so either one of them would certainly make a great choice.

Phoenix