In between two mattresses - all Greek to me..!

Hello from Athens, Greece!

I spent a few hrs. reading the different tutorials and posts at the forum - as many friends I know use the forum for advice - and I have to admit that most advice also applies to the local market too! Greece is a market where the choice of mattresses has grown a lot in the last few years, I would say mostly because of coco-mat company, a Greek company with a global presence.
I have narrowed my choices down to 2 different king size mattresses: Dunlopillo and Magniflex (either one will be placed on wooden slats with small gaps in between).

Magniflex: Magniflex US | Online Store
is referring to Magniflex Comfort Dual 10 with padding in memoform 0,78 inch and hypoallergenic fiber, layer in Memoform 1,96 inch and Elioform 6,7 inches. (total height 9,85 inches)

Dunlopillo: www.dunlopillo.gr/product-info.php?id=43#.VFDcdodH-ZY
is referring to Dunlopillo, fully made from Talaly latex, as explained in detail in the forum. total height 8,26 inches.

My concerns are mostly on materials used to glue the different layers of materials or even same material but different pieces (Dunlopillo although one material, needs to put together 2 pieces for such height). Is Elioform (firm support foam) that Magniflex uses a quality material or just a another marketing term for foam ? and lastly 0,78 inch of memoform (memory foam)is it something that will probably last for the full life cycle of 12 years guarantee that the maker has provided ?

Thanks for your help,
Yiannis

Hi Frydakis,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! … all the way from Greece :slight_smile:

Post #13 here has more information about the most important parts of the value of a mattress purchase that can help you make more meaningful comparisons but it comes down to testing for suitability and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences), checking the quality of the materials for quality/durability, and then making value comparisons based on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

The first part (PPP) would be up to your own personal testing on the mattress.

For the second part which is the quality of the materials and identifying any weak links in each mattress … I can certainly help but I would need to know the information listed here about the materials inside each mattress. The foam quality guidelines that it links to are expressed in lbs/ft3 and they may be expressed in kg/m3 in Greece so there is a density conversion calculator here which can help you convert from one to the other if you need to. For example 4 lb density would be 64.1 kg / m3 (rounded), 1.5 lb density would be 24 kg / m3 (rounded).

[quote]Magniflex: Magniflex US | Online Store
is referring to Magniflex Comfort Dual 10 with padding in memoform 0,78 inch and hypoallergenic fiber, layer in Memoform 1,96 inch and Elioform 6,7 inches. (total height 9,85 inches)

Is Elioform (firm support foam) that Magniflex uses a quality material or just a another marketing term for foam ? and lastly 0,78 inch of memoform (memory foam)is it something that will probably last for the full life cycle of 12 years guarantee that the maker has provided ?[/quote]

Unfortunately they don’t provide the density of the memory foam (memofoam) or the polyfoam (eliofoam layers) so it’s not possible for me to make any comments about the quality or relative durability of the materials. If you can find out the density of the memory foam and the polyfoam and list them on the forum I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials or help you identify any potential weak links in the mattress.

[quote]Dunlopillo: www.dunlopillo.gr/product-info.php?id=43#.VFDcdodH-ZY
is referring to Dunlopillo, fully made from Talaly latex, as explained in detail in the forum. total height 8,26 inches.[/quote]

Based on the description and the image … this appears to use Talalay latex from top to bottom which is a high quality and durable material and if this is the only material in this mattress (which I would confirm) then there would be no weak links in the mattress. I would want to know whether it was their blended or 100% natural Talalay for the sake of making comparisons to other latex mattresses but either way it would be a very durable material.

In the case of the Magniflex … the entire mattress is Oeko-Tex certified so I would have no concerns about the glue or any of the other materials or components in terms of safety.

In the case of the Dunlopillo … the glue they use to fabricate the latex layers themselves is a water based glue (not a solvent based glue) and the latex cores themselves are also Oeko-Tex certified so they would also be completely safe. I don’t know whether the layers themselves are glued together or the type of glue they use if they are but it’s likely that they would also be water based and be safe as well.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I managed to get the following reply from Magniflex concerning the specifications you were wondering on a previous post of mine.
Please find below and let me know if that makes an easier choice for you - the PPP factors for me are pretty much the same for these two brands we listed below.

and the reply>

Regarding your question, I do not have an exact density measurement because since the foam is produced in Italy with a completely different process than US made foam, the type of density is measured in “response time” of the foam.

Our regular memory foam (which you can find in all of our Magniflex models) has a relatively fast response time, meaning that while it retains the shape of your body, it is responsive to pressure and NOT HEAT, therefore it come back pretty fast after you remove the weight from on top of the mattress and you do not feel trapped in the mattress like for the US types of memory foam.

Our High Density memory foam, instead, (present on the firmer side of our Supremo - top of the line collection) has a slower response time. The sensitivity to weight rather than heat stays the same, but the comfort is definitely firmer than regular memory foam.

In our US line we have no latex, only foams like Memory Foam, Gel Foam, Aloe Vera infused Memory foam (Geomemory) and several types of support foams. All of them are based of Castor Oil and produced through a process of water expansion instead of the chemical process used in America and China (the chemical process is by using solvents to make the foam rise and then cooking it). Both the composition and the production process of our foam allow it to be:

• Certified by Oeko-Tex Standard 100 to be free of chemical emissions, off-gassing, VOCs and any other toxic substance that is harmful for people’s health and the environment
  • Open-cell, therefore breathable and never hot
  • Sensitive to weight and pressure instead of heat, thus maintaining the same comfort throughout the year regardless of the outside temperature and avoiding the so-called “cocooning effect” that makes you feel trapped in the mattress, which is typical of all US made foams.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Yiannis

Hi Frydakis,

Unfortunately the foam densities are the most important specification that you need to make an informed choice about the durability of polyfoam or memory foam materials (regardless of the process used to manufacture the foam) and if they aren’t willing to disclose this then I would pass the mattress by (see the guidelines here) unless you are OK with making a much more high risk purchase that involves foam layers that have unknown densities or durability.

Phoenix