In need of a new mattress

I am in need of a new mattress. I live in Louisiana any recommendation of dealers around Louisiana. I called The Quality Sleep Shop located in Ill. I like the Emily Pillow Top. Seems like a decent mattress for a coil mattress. The dealer is too far for me to visit. Is there a comparable mattress I could visit nearby. We need a Queen mattress. i visited The Mattress Firm and looked at a Stearns and Foster mattress. Any help you could give me.

Hi rmonce,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones (including the major brands such Stearn’s & Foster or the large chain stores … see the guidelines here).

There is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one in post #9 here but the only way that another mattress would be the same as the Emily pillow top would be if it had exactly the same layers and components and it would be unlikely that you would find another mattress that was the same although there may be others that use similar materials in more general terms.

Two of the more important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to buy a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of what I call PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) for your body type, sleeping positions, and preferences that can help you assess and minimize the risks involved in each of them and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

While it’s always a good idea to do some local testing to find the types of mattresses and materials that you tend to prefer in more general terms … it would be a very time consuming and laborious process to use the specs of another mattress as your “target” and it wouldn’t be particularly effective anyway if you have never tested the Emily pillowtop and don’t know how it feels to you and couldn’t compare the most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase.

If you let me know your city or zip code in Louisiana I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

I live near by Lafayette LA 70505

Hi rmonce,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Lafayette, LA area (subject to the “value” guidelines I linked in my last reply) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

How about companies in nearby Texas. I could drive there especially Texas. Thanks

Hi rmonce,

I would make sure that you include Irwins in your research since you have such a good option available locally but if you are looking for other choices that are a little further away then the Baton Rouge list here and the Houston list here would be the closest.

Phoenix