In tears and in pain

Hi, I am sorry to write again about my new mattress purchase. I bought a new mattress over the memorial holiday weekend.

My Green Mattress

It is the Simple Sleep 7". I also bought a 2" blended dunlop topper to put over the mattress. They tell me the blended topper is 14ILD.

I have slept on this combo for 7 days. The last few days I’ve been waking up at night with soreness in my hips (I am a side sleeper, but husband is back/stomach sleeper). Husband has no complaints, but my hips (the bony part) are sore for a few hours after I get up. I think I may have bought the wrong mattress. I may have only gone with the ILD numbers and did not fully comprehend (still don’t) the density designation. The mattress was labeled as “medium” at the store (on their description sheet). But now I am thinking it is too firm for me. They also sell the 9" Simple Sleep (which they label as “soft” in the store) that comes with a built in comfort layer.

Is it the topper or the mattress that is at issue here? If it is the mattress, should I try switching to the 9" Simple Sleep? If it is just the topper, then should I look elsewhere for a 3" pure Talalay?

I have read many posts & articles here and I’m overwhelmed with info. I just want to sleep and not cry when I wake up. Thank you.

Hi Cattoo,

I’m sorry you’re not sleeping comfortably on your new Simple Sleep mattress and topper. :frowning:

While I can’t diagnose comfort issues or pains via an online forum, I can provide some general advice that might be useful.

First off, there is some information about the many different symptoms that people may experience on a mattress and some of the most common causes behind them in post #2 here that may be helpful. If you have some soreness in your hips, this can commonly be an issue where there is not enough surface comfort to contour and cushion around your hips when you are on your side. Granted, you’ve only had your mattress for seven days and is usually takes a few weeks for people to begin to adjust to a new mattress, but your mattress does use a quite firm 6" Dunlop latex core, with 2" of plush Dunlop latex on top, and it could be that you need more surface contouring.

Based upon some of your previous comments and those in this post (asking about blends, density/ILD relationships), I think you’re really focusing in the wrong areas and trying to predict comfort based upon specifications that you don’t completely understand (I know it can be complicated B) ) . Unless you have a great deal of knowledge and experience with different types of mattress materials and components and their specs and different layering combinations and mattress designs and how they combine together and can translate them into your own “real life” experience that can be unique to you (which would generally be a very small percentage of people) … I would tend to avoid using complex specifications to try and predict how a mattress will feel or perform for you. When you try and choose a mattress based on complex combinations of specs the most common outcome is “information overload” and “paralysis by analysis”. Even the best mattress designers in the industry are often surprised at what a mattress they design “should have felt like” based on the specs when they design it and what it “actually feels like” when they test out their new design.

The only way to know whether any specific mattress design or combination of layers and components is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP with any certainty will be based on your own careful testing and/or your own personal experience when you sleep on it.

As you are local to My Green Mattress and visited the showroom to pick out your first mattress, I would suggest another visit there and express to them your concerns and symptoms with your current configuration, and I would strongly consider their advice as to what direction they think you might want to move. They will have the expertise of working with their componentry and people in similar situations to help offer suggestions that they truly think will help solve your problem. If you choose to do this and a new configuration is derived, I would make sure that you take some time in comfortable clothes and test out the configuration suggested on your side and see how it feel upon your hips, and I would focus on this experience versus density/ILD or blends of latex (you are selecting products using good quality and durable materials) as nothing can replace your own personal testing.

Form a distance, that is the best advice I can provide and the (simplified) direction I would tell you to consider.

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix,
Here is a recap and update to my last post. As mentioned, I first purchased the 7" Simple Sleep from Mygreenmattress.com and used their 2" blended latex topper (not listed on website) over it. Less than a week into it, I felt pain in my hips. After your suggestion of talking to them, I called and described my situation (side-sleeper, hip pain). The gentleman told me that he would have steered me toward the 9" Simple Sleep instead. He offered to exchange or an outright refund if I chose to. I opted to try the 9". They came to pick up the 7" and replaced it with a new 9" (it’s more like 8.5"). I kept the 2" blended topper and placed that over the new mattress. So now I am sleeping on roughly 6" of medium firm dunlop core, 2" of soft dunlop comfort layer, plus 2" of blended soft dunlop topper.

It is now 10 days into this second configuration. Sadly, I am still having hip pain and inflammation. It is interesting that the pain is mostly on the right hip when I turn inward toward the center of the bed. When I sleep on my left side (facing the edge of the bed) I do not have as much pain. I feel my right hip bone is “digging” into the topper/mattress and it “feels” like I might as well be sleeping on the floor. I am not much of a back sleeper, but when I do, there is no pain at all.

So is my configuration still too firm?

I debated if I should switch out the 2" blended dunlop topper for a 3" soft talalay topper. So my husband and I drove an hour to North Shore Bedding in Northbrook IL to test things out. It turns out that while the 3" Pure Bliss Talalay they have there is slightly softer and obviously thicker than my 2", I didn’t really like the flat feel very much. We are also aware that the showroom set up cannot replicate what we have at home so it’s just for research.

The gentleman at North Shore Bedding then showed us a wool/latex combo topper (Suite Sleep Vesta) that costs $1299, which he placed on a comparable medium core mattress. I immediately liked the pillow-top and airy feel of the topper.

We did not purchase it b/c of the price. After we got home I did some more research and thinking, perhaps I am someone who is simply not used to the spongy quality of latex (yet) and the last thing I need is more latex on top of what I already have! The Suite Sleep Vesta has 1" dunlop in it. I am thinking of not adding anymore latex, but going with an all wool topper instead. So do you think that is a good option to relieve pressure on my hips?

So far I am looking at Holy Lamb Ultimate Topper, or Savvy Rest Natural Savvy Woolsy. Are there other brands I should look into? And do you think this will move me in the right direction without completely changing my existing configuration?

Thanks for your patience and guidance :slight_smile:

Hi Cattoo,

As I mentioned in my previous reply, I’m sorry, but I can’t diagnose comfort issues via an online forum, so I wouldn’t be able to tell you what might or might not improve your comfort. I do wish that I could! :wink:

It’s nice that you were given a full refund to exchange to the 9" Simple Sleep – that’s great service. So in effect you added 2" of ultra plush D55 Dunlop and the 6" support core went from D90 to D75 Dunlop – a softer overall product. And then you have your 2" plush Dunlop topper above that.

Your description of the pain seems to refer mostly toward a higher sensitivity on your right side, so more than likely this will be your “limiting factor” regarding comfort. As you mentioned feeling like “sleeping on the floor”, even though you added 2" of soft Talalay and softened your support core, It could be that the transition between the soft upper layers to the support core it too distinct for you, and you might do better with a more gradual transition layer under your topper, such as a 2" layer of a more medium latex. It could also be that a bit more surface plushness could be assistive. And a third option could be that you could benefit from an uppermost layer that is contouring but just a bit slightly firmer than what you currently have.

As you mentioned rolling toward the center, what is your mattress placed upon, and what is the support network beneath that?

Replacing your topper with a very plush (15-19 ILD) piece of Talalay at 3" would increase the surface plushness of your mattress, and if that is the issue for your hip, that could be an improvement for you. There is always the risk of creating “too deep” of a comfort cradle in the upper layers of a mattress, but you may have a specific situation where this is what works best for you, your body shape, and your sensitivities. If you do decide to pursue this, you may wish to consider toppers that can be returned.

Wool has a different surface comfort which some people do prefer, but it won’t be as soft as plush foam and it will tend to “firm up” the soft latex that is beneath it. This is not to say that this wouldn’t work for you (sometimes a slightly firmer surface tension helps people with hips pains), but there is more information about wool toppers and how they compare to various foam toppers (at least in very general terms) in post #8 here and in posts #3 and #6 here and there are some additional comments about wool toppers and a list of some of the better sources I’m aware of in post #3 here.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, thanks for responding. I waited a few days before writing back. First to answer your question …

We have our mattress on a wood platform bed also purchased from My Green Mattress.

After your response, I chose to wait on deciding on the topper. Instead, I REMOVED the 2" blended dunlop topper, and for the last three nights, have been sleeping only on the 9" Simple Sleep (with a mattress protector and sheets of course). For some reason, my hips hurt LESS!!! I can still feel a slight compression on the hip bone but not as bad as before. So here’s the history so far:
First 8 nights - 7" Simple Sleep plus 2" blended dunlop topper
After exchange, 12 nights on the 9" Simple Sleep plus topper
Last 3 nights - 9" Simple Sleep only.

So it seems like the issue is with the wrong topper? Given that my hips are hurting less (but not completely pain free yet), and that my body is liking the 9" by itself, what would you recommend? I will test a little longer before rushing into any topper purchases for now.

Thanks for your help!

HI Cattoo,

I’m happy to hear that you’ve found a more comfortable sleeping combination on your mattress without the topper. It seems that you are responding better to a bit less surface plushness.

Your case points out to the difficulty in relating descriptions online and the often futile nature of offering suggestions based upon those descriptions, as they are so individualized. In your case, you described the new 9" mattress with the topper as feeling like sleeping on the floor, but after removing the topper, which would logically make the mattress feel even harder overall, you are sleeping better. So it could have been the case that you were in fact sinking in a bit too much, which can cause you to feel pressure on those areas that sink in too deeply. In the end, nothing can replace your personal testing and experience.

My best suggestion would be to continue using your current configuration without the topper and allow yourself to adjust to that. I don’t know that there will be any configuration that will completely eliminate your hip pain, as your right side does seem to be more sensitive than your left, but you seem to be on a good track here.

And thanks for the update on your foundation.

Phoenix