Incredibly misleading information from a local retailer

:ohmy: I’m new to this forum, but have been doing research pretty intensely for the past couple of days. I’ve found this site to be invaluable. The information available and quick answers, explanations and recommendations are wonderful.

In this case, I’m not certain if this is going to be seen as appropriate, so if it’s not, please feel free to let me know and/or delete it. I won’t be offended.

My husband and I are looking for a new mattress. After a lot of research coupled with some in-person shopping for a bed for my son a few months ago, we feel confident that we are looking for either latex or memory foam. I know the feel is completely different, and I haven’t spent any time on a latex mattress, so I went out looking today just to lie down on a couple to get a basic feel for it. In the meantime, we are leaning heavily toward SleepEz if we go the latex route, due to their reputation for quality and service, and the variety of what they offer, combined with price.

I stopped today in a chain store that I’ve only heard of a bit. I wasn’t really thinking I’ll buy there, but as I said, I want to get a feel for latex vs memory foam. I asked for latex, and he led me to one that is memory foam with some latex, and told me there was no such thing as a completely latex mattress. I was informed that nobody sells them anywhere, and if I even tried to have such a thing made, it would be a $700k mattress. That is NOT a typo.

That was by far the most outlandish thing I’ve heard during this endeavor (frankly the most ridiculous thing I’ve heard in years). I did stop in 4 mattress places today, and in every single one, they either told me that latex didn’t exist, or that there were latex mattresses but there was no such thing as custom configured ones, or that you can’t buy them online, or a bunch of other things that I know were at best incorrect, and at worse purposeful obfuscation.

All this to say that I’ve learned a very big lesson since buying my son’s mattress, which is that I shouldn’t rely on anything I’m told in walk-in stores. Maybe some of it is correct, but given my experience today, I won’t do anything at all now without thorough research first. In effect, the information you guys have on here has become my mattress bible. :slight_smile:

Hi wimaine,

While there are some very good local retailers and manufacturers in the industry that will provide accurate information to their customers and are genuinely interested in “educating” them more than “selling” them anything they can convince them to buy … they are in a minority and as sad as it is, most people that have spent more than an hour or two on this site will know more meaningful information about mattresses and mattress materials than most of the salespeople that sell them in the mainstream industry.

Having said that … I’m constantly amazed at the “stories” that some salespeople tell their customers and I think that what you heard has to qualify as one of the biggest “whoppers” that I’ve heard yet and I think that “misleading” is a generous understatement!

I’m glad you shared your experience and the stories you were told although I’m not sure whether to laugh or groan … maybe both :slight_smile:

In any case … I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any other comments, feedback, or questions you may have along the way.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area … and hopefully you will be able to find a salesperson that is living in the same reality as we are.

Phoenix

I’m in the Columbus, Ohio area. I did find another post of yours with a list of retailers I’ve been using, but I would appreciate any names you can give me, even if just for the sake of feeling reassured that I’ve covered all the places I should.

“Whopper” is probably a good word for that particular line of BS I got in the store. He was incredibly patronizing in general and also told me that all mattresses – even ones that are marketed as being all foam – are actually innerspring in disguise and I’d see it if I cut any of them open. I walked out of that place shaking my head, but considered hanging around for a few more minutes just for entertainment value. :lol:

Hi wimaine,

If the list you found was the one in post #2 here then it includes the better options or “possibilities” I’m aware of in the Columbus, OH area (subject to the guidelines here about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase).

I would probably have hung around for a bit as well … for the same reasons as you. With the story about the innersprings as well … I may have even considered asking his permission to take some notes to use in a comedy routine :slight_smile:

Phoenix

My husband and I were just talking about the possibility of a road trip down to Cincinnati and see what’s around that area. Are there any retailers in that neck of the woods that you might suggest?

Hi winmane,

The Cincinnati list is in post #212 here.

Phoenix