Innerspring core with latex on top issues?

Hello All,

I wish I had found this site before I bought my mattress! What a great resource!

Here is my issue
About a year back, i bought a king size 920 coil inner spring with 3 inches of latex foam as topper. Latex is from latex international (Not sure if it is organic or not). Lately, I’ve been waking up with sore back and I feel my side of the mattress has softened quite a bit when compared to the middle and the side on which my wife sleeps. Wife says that the mattress is sloping towards my side but the surface as such looks normal - visibly it does not look sunk, but the moment I lay down I can see how soft it is on my side when compared to the rest of the mattress. I spent close to $2200 for this mattress and I’m def not happy with the back aches in the morning. Question is, is it normal for latex to soften the way it did for me? or do I have a bad one?
The options that I think I have is to go back to the store to replace the latex topper with micro coils or buy 3 inch latex from online shops like savvy rest or plush beds and pay to replace the topper ( will cost close to $1000 K I guess :frowning: . I’ve already spent so much on this mattress and am really worried about the extra cost. Can you please let me know what you think or what I can possibly do in this situation?

Many Thanks!

Hi Wengendude, the problem with a lot of mattresses is they can lose support while seeming normal visually. Latex will probably soften some, but it’s only a 3" topper so I’d be curious if it was the latex layer or rather the support (or lack of) in the springs beneath it. If the springs have softened, the topper will follow any dipping. Mostly due to the statement your wife made about a slope toward your side, sounds like more of an effect than just a topper would make. It could also be the reason for the backaches if it’s sinking to the point your back is no longer aligned.

You may want to first try removing the topper temporarily to determine if the general sagging/sloping effect is still there. It will likely feel different now that you’re used to the topper, but the overall effect would be noticeable if it’s the mattress underneath. The reason being, it may not be the topper at all. If it were the mattress causing the issue, replacing the topper wouldn’t change anything. Depending what kind of foundation the mattress is on, that may need to be checked as well for any problems whether sagging, breaks etc that may be affecting the overall setup. Eliminating things from the ground up so a problem area isn’t accidentally overlooked.

If it does end up being an issue with the topper, there are other more affordable options for 3" latex toppers. Unless you’ve got a preference for the Savvy topper due to its’ cover or anything, many places in the members section of the forum like SleepEZ, Arizona Premium Mattress etc also have 3" king talalay or dunlop latex toppers around $500 which is much more affordable than the $1000 you mentioned.

Another thing you could do is try rotating the topper and leaving the mattress in place. That way you’d be testing your wife’s side of the topper (if she doesn’t protest to this suggestion). If you’re still having issues of sinking down deeper than you used to and she notices the sloping toward your side, chances are it’s not the topper and rather the mattress itself. If it turns out the other way around and your wife notices sinking or sloping toward her side after rotating the topper 180 degrees and the issue is consistently on that particular side of the topper, then it may be the latex after all. Hope this helps you determine the cause of the issue.

Hi Wengendude,

Which make and model of mattress did you purchase?

Do you know the details of all the layers inside your mattress? It’s also possible that there are other layers or components in your mattress besides just the innerspring and latex that could be part of the problem as well.

Brass has made some very good suggestions (and similar to what I would make as well) and as he suggested I would check everything that was between you and the floor to find out whether the issue was in the latex comfort layer. As he suggested … I would also rotate the topper if that’s possible as well. Putting the mattress on the floor can help confirm whether the issue is in the bedframe or foundation under the mattress. The goal is to use a process of elimination as much as possible to confirm which layer or component is the underlying cause of the problem.

I would also talk with the retailer/manufacturer of your mattress as well to see what they suggest because some of them are more responsive and helpful when it comes to non warranty issues as well and they may also have some suggestions.

While all foam materials will soften over time … latex will soften less and more slowly and is more durable than other foam materials in the same firmness level although it’s always possible to have a defective layer (defects tend to show up in the first year or so).

If your process of elimination confirms that it’s the latex then the component post here includes the better sources I’m aware of where you can purchase any type and blend of latex layers in any thickness and firmness level that you choose and as brass also mentioned for significantly less than the price you were mentioning.

Phoenix

Thank you Brass and Phoenix! Latex is sitting right on top of the 918 coil (blue moon firm) and is covered by wool quilt on outside, I can’t rotate the topper without rotating the entire mattress. Mattress was built by rest assured mattress in rochester, MN. I have a good friend there - may be I should talk to him. Let me report back what I find.
Thank you so much!

Hi Wengendude,

I think highly of Chuck and Rest Assured and the quality and value of their mattresses. They are “good people” and the first thing I would suggest is talking with him to see if you can identify what is behind the issues you are having and the options you have for “fixing” them.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. Let me talk to them and update the status. Thanks again!!