innerspring latex combo?

I like the feel of the innerspring mattresses, maybe it’s because it’s what I’m used to.
I really like the concept of the latex. And by nature I love anything natural and/or organic and will hold up over time.

I’m having a hard time finding a mattress that incorporates both, like a 50/50 blend. I have found a few innerspring mattresses that have a thin layer of latex on the top.

Does this combo exist? Is there a reason it doesn’t, such as “it’s not a good idea to mix them”?

Maybe I could get used to the latex feel. I don’t hate it.

Hi nap101,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Hopefully you’ve had a chance to read the mattress shopping tutorial which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

It’s unlikely that a latex/innerspring hybrid will have a 50/50 blend (at least by thickness) because the innerspring core will almost always be thicker than the latex comfort layers.

Post #2 here includes several manufacturers or retailers that sell innerspring/latex hybrids of various types and if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area as well. An innerspring mattress with latex comfort layers can make a great combination and a very durable mattress for those who prefer this combination of materials.

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply. I have read a lot on this site already.
I live in the Berkeley/Oakland CA area. Lots of stores.
I’m not looking for the cheapest alternative. Within reason–I’m thinking 2-2.5k max for a queen size.

One alternative I have been considering is the clarity from the natural mattress store. I think I remember reading that you thought highly of them but didn’t think it was a great value.

I do like European sleep works the best as far as comfort. Was very concerned when one of the floor models I was looking at was very misshapen. The salesman said that it gets lifted up and moved a lot more than normal so it had lost it’s shape some. He said they need to just go in and realign the layers. (is that normal? I don’t want a mattress that will need to be constantly realigned to keep it’s shape.)

LIke I said, my body likes the feel of coils, but the intellectual side of me really wants all natural materials, and something that will hold up over time.

Hi nap101,

There are some good options in the Berkeley/Oakland area that would match your criteria and the better options or at least “possibilities” I’m aware of are listed in post #2 here.

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here. They are one of the possibilities on the list and make some good quality mattresses but I would also make some careful value comparisons because there are also some other very good options in the area that for many people may be better value yet.

They would probably be changing layers and components and/or moving the mattress as they mentioned which can cause the layers to shift so in a showroom environment it would be “normal” and they would need to be realigned from time to time even though it’s not something that would happen in normal use.

Phoenix