innerspring mattress recommendation plus dealer for same in Maryland (latex too heavy for me!)

Hi,

First, I want to say how much I appreciate this website.  Based upon everything I read here, I went to test some all latex mattresses and found them very comfortable.  However, I also found them to be extremely heavy and believe that it would be very difficult for me to make up the bed.  Just lifting the corner could injure my back!  So, I have decided to go with an inner-spring core.  Is there any manufacturer using an inner-spring core that can be recommended?  

The other thing that I am concerned about is where to buy from. Most of the recommended stores in my area (Maryland) specialize in latex. The Bedding Barn, which is recommended and is not far from me, does not accept returns of any kind. I am a little leery about spending around $1,000 for something that can not be returned if I find it uncomfortable after a few nights. Based upon my reading, even the stores that do say they accept returns seem to go back on that promise for any number of reasons. What’s a girl to do?

All advice re: innerspring manufacturers and stores will be appreciated.  My old mattress is 25 years old!!!  I need a new one now. 

Thanks!
Sleepygirl

Hi sleepygirl,

As an option … it may be worth considering a mattress lifter something like this. Even an innerspring with layers of latex (or even memory foam) on top can be fairly heavy.

I’d be happy to let you know of any better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area if you let me know your city or zip (searching a whole state is a little too time consuming). I don’t keep a record of particular mattress types so much as a list of better manufacturers or retailers in each area (or online) but these would normally carry most of the different types of mattresses that you may prefer including an innerspring/latex hybrid.

One of our members that sells online also makes an innerspring/latex hybrid (using pocket coils) that has great quality and value but of course this wouldn’t be a local purchase and local testing is always a good idea.

Bear in mind that none of the manufacturers or retailers in the various lists on the forum are recommendations (unless they are a member here) but possibilities that usually need some further research to be compared with other mattresses that use similar components and materials. Each of them may also offer different policies and benefits that may be more or less important in terms of each person’s “value equation” (see post #46 here). Every mattress … no matter where it is purchased … should be compared to other similar mattresses in terms of the quality and value of the materials that are in it as well of course in terms of PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences).

Some local retailers have an exchange policy which adds to the cost of all the mattresses they sell so for those where this is important it may be worth a higher cost. Other retailers or manufacturers don’t offer this so they don’t have to build the cost or exchanges into their mattresses. Some manufacturers offer a layer adjustments or exchanges so they can make adjustments down the road if necessary at a nominal cost. Careful testing can give you the confidence to make a purchase where there is no exchange … particularly if you err on the side of firmness that can be “fixed” with a topper if necessary … but if this feels too risky for you then a retailer or manufacturer that has an exchange or even a refund policy may justify the higher costs for these types of services. All of this is personal preference and involves trading one benefit for another.

Better retailers and manufacturers will usually do exactly what they promise (and if you have any doubts just make sure they write it down on your receipt). I would also make sure that you go through all the details “step by step” about the procedure and costs of any exchange or refund policy they have so you know exactly how it works.

I would first spend some time at home calling the options (retailers and manufacturers) that are available to you and making sure they carried an innerspring/latex hybrid which has no more than an inch of polyfoam in the comfort layers. I would also make sure that they are able and willing to tell you the details of all the layers and components in their mattresses so you can make “apples to apples” comparisons between them. Once you have identified the manufacturers or retailers that carry the types of mattresses you want to test … I would visit the ones that were the most promising to you based on your conversations and then choose the “best” mattress available (based on your needs and preferences) at each place. I would then narrow these final choices down based on the results of your local testing (which is most suitable for your body type and sleeping positions), on the relative value of each (by comparing the materials and components that were in them) and on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible benefits and tradeoffs that are the most important parts of your “value equation”.

Phoenix

Dear Phoenix,

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions and to provide so much useful information. I live in Columbia, Maryland (21045) and already looked at an earlier post that listed some possible direct manufacturers and retailers in the MD/DC/VA area. Based on that post, I visited the Healthy Back Store (very close to my home) where I tested their Pure Bliss Latex mattress. As I said, I found it comfortable but very, very heavy. The device you suggested that helps in changing the sheets merits reconsideration of that bed. It is on sale through the end of the month for 30% off. I do wonder one other thing about latex. Although I don’t seem to have any allergy to latex, I wonder what segment of the population does and whether this is something I should be concerned about.

I then visited Bedding Barn and found the salespeople knowledgeable and friendly.  I understand the reasoning behind their no-return policy but I'm just one of those people who always needs to feel I can return if I really want to.  It is worth it to me to pay more for that option.  I also went to RoomandBoard but did not find any of their beds particularly comfortable for me.  I have read some good reviews about a place in Maryland called RealDeals Furniture and Bedding.  I believe they carry the Eclipse mattresses.  I was also thinking about going to some of the places listed in the post that are in Virginia, although they are all quite a ride away for me, so I'm not sure whether it's worth it. . .   

I am a side sleeper who has had lower back problems off and on in the past.  I am 5'4" and 130 pounds.  I already have a wood bed frame with headboards, footboards, and wooden slats.  I anticipate purchasing a foundation for whatever mattress I end up with.  Otherwise, the mattress will sit too low on the bed frame.  Also, I don't know if the bed maker device will work for me if I don't purchase a foundation.  

I have to say that this mattress shopping is really getting me rattled.  When I read the horror stories some people have posted about how their new mattresses have made their back problems so much worse even though the beds seemed comfortable in the store, it makes me quite nervous.  Your advice always sounds so calm and rational, I'm hoping I'll be able to adopt that approach and make a good decision.  

Sleepygirl

Hi sleepygirl,

The closest list to you is for Baltimore, MD here. I know you’ve probably seen it but I thought I’d add it just in case and I added a couple of options to it as well.

I certainly understand the importance of an exchange policy for some people and it makes sense to find out all the details for the retailers you visit so you can add it to your “value equation”.

What I would suggest is to call and talk with any of the retailers you plan to visit and make sure they carry the types of mattresses you want to test (latex/innerspring hybrid, polyfoam/latex hybrid, all latex etc). In many cases websites are not up to date so I would always talk to a retailer in person and ask some specific questions … including whether they have all the information about the layers in their mattresses … before visiting them. This will give you a much better sense of the type of knowledge and service to expect when you get there.

You can read a bit more about latex allergies in post #2 here. Because the surface proteins that are the main cause of latex allergies have been washed off (unlike products like gloves and condoms) and because the latex is covered … latex allergies don’t generally present a problem with mattresses and there are many retailers who have gone decades without ever seeing a latex allergy problem. Of course for someone who has the much more rare type 1 allergy then this would be a different story.

I think that some of the most important things to keep in mind are to make sure you test each mattress you are seriously considering for long enough (at least 15 minutes fully relaxed on each mattress) and in all the positions you usually sleep in. You can see some suggestions for testing for pressure relief here and for testing support/alignment here and in post #11 here. Besides this … enlist the help of knowledgeable salespeople … and if there seem to be two similar options I would tend towards firmer rather than softer. You can always “fix” a mattress that is too firm by adding a topper but its much more difficult to fix a mattress where the support core is too soft or the comfort layers are too thick and soft. If you take your time and trust what your body is telling you and never buy a mattress on the same day you are testing them (so you can go home and check to make sure it has the quality and value you want) then your odds will greatly improve of making a great choice.

Phoenix