Innerspring mattress with latex topper

After a lot of research and visiting several local mattress retailers, I’m starting to get mattress buyer’s burnout. I’ve come to a conclusion that maybe I should just buy a basic, firm, two-sided innerspring mattress and put a new, soft latex mattress topper on top of it. It seems like I could extend the life of the innerspring mattress by rotating and flipping it regularly and only have to replace the topper at some point ten or more years down the line. (My existing mattress is way too old to put a topper on.) Buying a basic innerspring mattress set and a separate topper also appears to be less expensive than buying any of the all-latex bed sets I’ve found on the internet or in retail stores.
My questions are:

1. Is the latex layer in a topper usually flippable? Can I extend its life by flipping and rotating it? I know this would require removing it from a cover that has a built-in top comfort layer (like wool or thin foam) so that it could be flipped and put back into the cover. Does the risk of damaging the latex by flipping it twice each year offset the value of trying to do it? I understand from information on the internet that latex can be torn fairly easily. (Which, of course, constitutes “abuse” and would void any warranties.)
  2. I’m a thin, large-boned guy with knees that have been damaged in two bad falls during the last 10 years. I have to sleep with a pillow between my knees. I’ve also had a history of lower back strains throughout my adult life. I know you don’t like to make specific recommendations about PPP to users but can I pretty much assume I will need to be looking at a definitely soft topper if I use a firm innerspring mattress as my support layer? There doesn’t seem to be any way to “try out” toppers and most manufacturers don’t allow topper returns, so it’s hard to decide how to choose the right firmness level.
  3. One other question about my particular situation. I will likely be moving to a new residence about fifty miles away later this year. I’m not concerned about how the innerspring mattress will hold up in a moving truck but I am wondering how to safely move the topper. Do you have any suggestions about how to do this?
    Thanks for any feedback you can provide.
    ReallySlimJim

Hi ReallySlimJim,

You can see my thoughts about buying a mattress/topper combination where you can’t test the combination in person in post #2 here.

It can be a good option if you can test the combination together to make sure it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP but it can also add some complexity and uncertainty in buying a “sleeping system” that would be a good match for you in terms of PPP. The challenge with buying the mattress in a lower budget range that would justify the additional cost of a topper would be to make sure that there are no lower quality materials that will soften or break down even under a topper and the uncertainty would be because choosing a topper that can be a suitable choice for a specific person on a specific mattress can be almost as difficult as buying a mattress in the first place.

10 years may also be somewhat optimistic for a topper because they will be a little less durable than the same material inside a mattress cover.

Latex toppers can be flipped and rotated yes and doing this will slightly extend their useful lifetime although not to the same degree as flipping a mattress where the previous layers on the top are now on the bottom. Most toppers have a thin stretch cover that can be flipped without having to remove the latex and some toppers with wool quilted covers are also two sided so they wouldn’t need to be removed from the cover to flip them either. As long as you are careful not to tear it when handling it or removing the latex from the cover it won’t damage the latex.

If you do decide to go in this direction then post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to can help you use your actual sleeping experience on your mattress (without a topper) as a reference point and guideline for choosing the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the best chance of success and also includes a link to the better topper sources I’m aware of as well. It also includes a link to the suppliers that have good exchange/return policies as well.

The information in post #5 here should be helpful. If you have a box that is big enough you can just fold in half and then fold it in thirds or roll it up (carefully) and move it that way without compressing it.

Phoenix