Innerspring Mattresses in Orange County

I am stumped! I’m looking for a comfortable Innerspring Eastern King Mattress that is comfortable, durable, and fits in my price range (around $2K). Is this realistic?? I like medium to plush (level of firmness) and also mattresses with pillow tops.

I’ve visited about 7-9 stores so far, although a few of them were before I stumbled upon this website…I live in Orange County, CA. Here’s where I’ve been: Macy’s, OC Mattresses, Ortho, W. Simmons, Sit N Sleep, *Newport Bedding Co, *Ergo Beds, Custom Comfort and back to OC Mattresses + a few more smaller stores. (Newport Bedding & Ergo were recommended from this site).

My problem is that I’ve been looking for beds that have Latex in the comfort layer (for durability) - but the ones that I’ve laid on just don’t feel nearly as good as the major “Sealy” type mattresses.

Before finding this site, we started looking at the major stores and looking at the major brands. We liked the feel of an Aireloom mattress that came in around $2K - Bamboo Hybrid…but I’m pretty sure it didn’t have any latex in the comfort layer. But due to the non-transparency of the major brands I haven’t been able to find out what material is included in the various layers.

After finding this site and reading up, we were on a mission. I took the wife to Newport Bedding Company and we started looking here. The folks here were super friendly, very knowledgeable and they were great. However, the only mattress we found that we liked was a $4,000 innerspring that was double sided and was made with latex in the comfort layer. Problem was that it was a bit out of our price range.

So - we continued our search. We went to ErgoBeds, but they don’t have anything in our price range…but they did have some super comfortable $15,000+ beds that were great, but obviously we couldn’t afford.

Today I swung by Custom Comfort in Mission Viejo, CA. These guys were great. They are a family owned business that only carries their own line of beds, that they make locally. Super knowledgeable…even had many of the different major name brand mattresses pulled apart and open so you could see how most were made out of cheap foam. They totally match up with your recommendations on finding a mattress store to work with. Two things happened here: 1.) Most of the beds that have latex in the comfort layer were way over $2k…pushing $3,000 and all the way up to about $5K. and 2.) honestly they weren’t as comfortable as other beds I had been on. But the quality seemed great - and I wouldn’t doubt that they would last a long long time.

So I left Custom Comfort and went back to OC Mattresses (Big Box - carries the major brands). I laid on an iComfort King sized mattress and it was super comfortable. Price was only around $1500…so…I’m lost now. I don’t know what to do. Should I settle for a major name brand bed because it fits in our price range, is comfortable, but I know it won’t last long…or should I dish out the $3k-$4k on a better bed…is double the price worth it??

Can I find a good King sized bed for around $2K? Am I looking for the wrong materials…I’m lost and don’t know where to go.

Plus, I’m a shopper - I make sure I do tons of research before big ticket purchases, but I think my wife might be getting a bit frustrated considering all of the mattress stores I’ve had to drag her to (I think we have gone to at least 9 so far).

Please Help!!! Any suggestions you have would be great.

A google of iComfort (I’d guess Serta iComfort) seems to say it is memory foam on top. If you like memory foam, but have only been testing latex, it would be different.

Also, wool is a diff feeling than latex in the topper (I’m about to try one myself). I’d guess wool feels more like a store brand non-latex pillow top than latex does.

Maybe you just don’t like latex on top?

Hi rocketman1856,

Absolutely it’s realistic.

The first place I would start your research though is post #1 here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best choices … and avoid the worst ones. If you follow all the steps one by one and make sure you talk with any store on the phone and let them know about your criteria before you visit them you will save a lot of time. The more you do on the phone the more efficient you can be with your mattress testing.

Latex is a preference and some people like it more than others. In some cases it can take some getting used to but for those who are used to it or prefer it then they generally wouldn’t sleep on anything else. If you prefer other materials though such as polyfoam, traditional innersprings, or memory foam, then as long as they are high quality they can also be durable. Sealy doesn’t make any latex mattresses … or at least any latex that doesn’t have polyfoam in the comfort layers. Latex also has a very wide range of different feels just like any other mattress category so it may be that you haven’t had the chance to test a latex mattress that you like (just like there would be lots of other types of mattresses that you didn’t like either).

If you like the iComforts then that may indicate that you prefer memory foam so if this is the case I would just follow the steps in the read first post (including initial phone calls with each retailer or manufacturer before you visit them) and find a better quality/value memory foam mattress that is just as suitable for you in terms of PPP (posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). I would also make sure that you are testing mattresses following the testing guidelines and not just for the “showroom feel” of a mattress which has lower odds of making a successful purchase than random chance alone (see this study).

I’m guessing you’ve already seen this but just in case or for the benefit of others who are reading this the better options and possibilities in the Greater Los Angeles region are in post #2 here.

You may just be someone who doesn’t prefer latex in which case you have many other options.

If you want to try some softer latex mattresses to see how you feel about them then if you find the Pure Latex bliss dealer closest to you on their retail store locator here they will have a range of softer latex mattresses and some soft latex toppers as well.

One step at a time :slight_smile:

Phoenix