Innerspring Pillowtop with Latex (Acadia) from Portland City Mattress vs. Saatva

Hi Phoenix and community!

This site has been such a gem in my mattress hunting. I’ve gone from the big mattress factory stores to the smaller more transparent experts (Gardner and Portland City Mattress) - and think I have narrowed it down to an Innerspring pillowtop with latex from Portland City Mattress. My question was this: Is a pillowtop generally a weak component to an innerspring mattress? This particular mattress is double-sided which I understand is better for durability (though it would need to be flipped from time to time) - and it doesn’t provide the best motion transfer (but that doesn’t bother me or my wife as we are both deep sleepers). I thought I was sold on a ‘hybrid’ as initially i wanted a memory foam feel, but after repeated tests this particular pillowtop seems to be the best overall comfort/feel. The materials are quality and I’m wondering if there are any of you who have bought/tested an innerspring pillowtop with latex used in the foam/top layers. Any advice on this mattress (or the brand/company in general) would be appreciated!

Note: I’m also considering just trying the Saatva Luxury Firm mattress out because i’ve heard such good things. It’s a bit more affordable than the Acadia from Portland City mattress - however - because they’ve offered me 20% off retail the price differential is only about $225.

Hi Thaddeus,

I’m glad the information here has proven helpful to you.

I don’t know the specifics of the materials and components in the Acadia but if you can find out the information listed here and post it on the forum then I’d certainly be happy to comment about the quality of the materials inside it or help you identify any potential weak links in the mattress, but Portland Mattress Makers (I think that is what you meant instead of Portland City mattress?) certainly makes some good quality mattresses and a two-sided mattress will also be more durable than an equivalent one-sided mattress that otherwise uses the same materials (see post #3 here ).

A pillowtop is a method of construction, and as long as the inner flanges and the gussets and the foams on the inside and below the pillowtop are durable and high quality and secured well, you should have no issues. I’m sure the people at PMM would be happy to show you how their beds are constructed should you have specific questions.

Phoenix