Innerspring vs Latex

Hi Phoenix,

I’m so glad I found your site! We are looking for a comfortable bed for a guest room. I’m planning on visiting a few manufactures recommended on your site- Good Guy Beds and Flexus- after speaking with them today. Since this is a guest room, value with quality is important however, I sleep in the guest room occasionally so I want it to be comfortable.

Both companies offer two sided mattresses (hard to find!) but Good Guy uses 1.8 lb foam on their value innerspring and Flexus uses 1.5 lb. The price point is higher for Good Guy. You said 1.5 is the lowest you’d go so how big of a deal is the .3 difference? We’d rather pay more today for a longer lasting mattress.

Hi alavio,

It would depend on the specific design and combination of components and materials in each mattress and on whether one or both of them were single or two sided rather than any single layer or spec in a mattress.

If you can post the more detailed specs here (see post #4 here for the specs that are necessary) I’d be happy to make some comments about the mattresses you are considering.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Tried a few beds yesterday and found two comfortable based on PPP (side sleeper) for me. This a guest room so value is important. Both are innerspring, two sided, and are made by the same manufacturer.

The Value mattress has one and a half inches of 1.8 lb poly foam, same foam in the cushion layers, cotton, and 12.5 gauge continuous Bonnell coils (4 turns). There are blue rods on the sides to reinforce but I forgot to ask what material. This mattress has a foundation.

The more expensive mattress has 2 lb soy foam, same foam for comfort layers, 12.5 gauge double offset coils with 6 turns, and the same cotton just more of it, and a box spring. The are more blue foam rods on the sides for reinforcement.

My question is the Value mattress a decent bed or does it have weak links? Did I give you enough information? The more expensive mattress costs more than twice as much. We want a good mattress but price is important too.

Hi alavio,

The specs you listed all indicate good quality materials but post #4 here has the information I would need to make any specific comments about the quality of the materials in either mattress or whether either one has any possible weak links.

If the materials you listed are all that is in the mattresses and all the layers and components add up to the thickness of the mattress so you know there is nothing missing then there would be no weak links in either one.

Which manufacturer/retailer are you dealing with?

I’m not sure what you mean by “blue foam rods” on each side … can you provide more details? If you are referring to an foam encasement around the innerspring then I would want to make sure that it also used high quality polyfoam (1.8 lbs or higher).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Good Guy Beds in Costa Mesa Califonia and Newport Bedding (Good Guy manufactures for Newport). The blue rods are Styrofoam to reinforce the sides and ends. The value mattress is $600.00 and the higher end one is $1,000 more. Both mattresses have a cotton pad on top of the foam.

Thanks!

Hi alavio,

These are placed inside individual coils on the outside edges (or in some cases in various zones inside the mattress) and are an effective method of providing edge support that doesn’t remove the steel and replace it with polyfoam and would be stronger and more durable than the more typical polyfoam surround IMO.

I don’t know the specifics of the rest of the layers (listed from the top down or bottom up) so I can’t really make any meaningful comments about the mattresses as a whole or how they may compare unless you can list all the specifics but this type of edge support is a durable design.

I do think highly of Alex and the Good Bed Guys in general and you can see some comments about them in posts #6 and #7 here.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I called Alex to get more information on the layers and he told me you/mattressunderground called him to ask a few questions. He told me your office called him last week? Is that true? Was it regarding my post?

Thanks!

Hi alavio,

I don’t have an “office” (I work from a desk that is in a corner of my living room and its just me :)) but I did call him to find out the specifics of his edge support because I wasn’t quite clear what you meant from your post.

I have talked with Alex on several occasions and he has always been open and informative about his mattresses and is great to talk with.

You can see a similar example of foam inserts inside an innerspring in this video (starting at about 4 minutes 30 seconds) and it’s a system that works well :).

Phoenix