Inside a Sealy Brasswood

I took apart the Sealy Brasswood Latex mattress before throwing it away. The issue with it were that it was to firm for my wife and that it started to have significant indentations. Just not enough for warranty.
Taking it apart showed that the indentation is only on the comfort layer on top. The Latex layers showed no signs.
I thought I am posting a picture in case anyone is interested.

Sealy:
0.5 inches convoluted foam, 1 inch comfort SealyFoam, 1.6 inches luxury firm latex, 8.75 inch SmartLatex core composed of 1.6 inches plush latex, 1.6 inches firm latex, and 5.7 inches very firm latex foam

Kind of bad to throw out all the good Latex.

Hi coast,

Thanks for the picture … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Unfortunately these types of issues (foam softening and breakdown leading to the loss of comfort and support that isn’t covered by a warranty) is all too common with these types of mattresses. The old Sealy Springfree mattresses have now been replaced by the Stearns & Foster Luxury Latex line but they have the same issues and most of them (in both lines) that are softer than the Brasswood use even thicker layers of lower quality foams above the latex.

I agree … and these mattresses are a good candidate for mattress surgery (see post #2 here) … especially since you’ve already taken the first step!

Replacing the lower quality layers with a layer of higher quality material (such as latex) in the right firmness level and thickness will give you a better quality mattress than when they were new except you won’t be able to finish the seams quite as nicely without specialized tape edge equipment.

Phoenix