Insulator Pads

I’m having difficulty, finding a suitable insulator pad to place over the top of a coil system for purchase.

What natural and/or safe (i.e… OEKO-TEX certified, no polyfoams) materials are available to use, as an insulator pad, and where can I purchase them?

How do insulator pads affect the feel of the mattress?

Is an insulator pad necessary or adviseable over the pocketed coil, bed-in-a-box coil systems, like the Leggett and Platt,quantum edge series?

Would the insulator pad need to be affixed to the coil system, or can it simply be layered atop the coils?

Hi empusa.

Most common insulator pads are made from non-woven materials such as densified or bonded cotton, wool fibers, hemp, polyester or resinated textile clippings, coconut coir, or flexible mesh material. Coir insulator pads are natural and durable alternatives and some of the manufacturers I’ve talked with, believe it is the best material to use as an insulator over innersprings to prevent the foam layers from sagging into the springs (although it’s not used for this as much because it is more costly than some of the synthetic alternatives). Ken from Arizona Premium mattress has taken many beds apart when they are replaced and he told me that that coir is the only insulator material that he’s seen that didn’t develop impressions from the springs after many years of use. This said you’d still need to check on the product certifications the company may have.

My Green Mattress is one of our trusted members of this site uses an organic Coconut coir pad which is made from organic coconut fibers that are bound together using organic latex. They use it in the Emily Crib mattress which provides firm but comfortable support and is resilient and hypoallergenic. I am not sure if they sell it as a separate layer but it is worth reaching out to them.

Mattresses that use pocket coils with a higher coil count that are surrounded by a fabric don’t generally need an insulator pad (although some may still have one) Insulator pads would be most commonly used with innersprings that use helical coils to connect the coils together. to prevent the comfort/transition materials from pocketing into the coils.

The insulator pads contribute to weight balancing, evening out the feel over lower spring counts, minimizing the feel of the coils, and preventing comfort/transition materials from compacting into the innerspring unit

Depending on the feel or effect you are after for your mattress …an insulator pad could work well on Leggett and Platt coils and does not need to be fixed to the coil system - laying it across the top is perfectly acceptable. However, using an insulator will change the overall feel of the mattress, stiffening it and subtracting from the conforming qualities of the pocket coil.

Phoenix

Thank you!

By coir you mean coconut , hemp, or both?

This website use the term coir for both

Hi Mattl0,

I meant Coconut pads, which would be my first choice since those are less expensive if used as a breathable layer between the platform bed and the bottom of the mattress. This said, here are some specifics about both to help you decide which one is best for you.

Coconut Coir Pad:

• Pros:
    • Breathable and allows for good air circulation, helps with ventilation of the sleeping system which in turn helps regulate body temperature
    • Absorbs moisture and prevents moisture buildup. Maintains airflow and helps keep you cool and dry at night.
    • Can be used with all mattress types (Hybrids, innersprings, all foams or latex)
    • Typically, less expensive than hemp coir pads.
    • Biodegradable
  • Cons:
    • May not be as durable as hemp coir pads.
    • Can still build mildew and mold if not properly maintained.
    • Rigid and firm if they are used in the upper layers of a mattress.
    • Lower-quality coir pads that are not bonded with latex may compress and sag under the heavier parts of your body.

Hemp Coir Pad:

• Pros:
    • More durable and long-lasting than coconut coir pads.
    • Natural antimicrobial properties can help prevent the growth of mold and mildew.
    • Can be used with all mattress types (Hybrids, innersprings, all foams or latex)
    • More biodegradable than coconut coir pads.
  • Cons:
    • Typically, more expensive than coconut coir pads.
    • May have a stronger odor than coconut coir pads.
    • Generally, they are more difficult to clean and maintain than coconut coir pads.
    • Lower-quality coir pads that are not bonded with latex may compress and sag under the heavier parts of your body.

Phoenix

1 Like

Thanks a lot!! :slight_smile: I have researched this subjet on Google with no luck… But now I know IT is used as carpet and for gardening haha.