Is a WinkBed suitable for a heavy person?

I am 6’1", 250 pounds, with an athletic build. I sleep on my back, side, and stomach, almost equally (probably because I can’t get comfortable.) I also sleep with a woman, about 5’11" 165 lbs or so, who could probably sleep through the apocalypse, on any type of mattress.

I started with a Simmons ComforPedic mattress, which I sank almost all the way to the bottom of. This memory foam mattress was also way too hot for me. I can never get comfortable if I am hot. Between the sinkage, heat, and quicksand feeling, I came to the conclusion that memory foam is not for me.

I bought a Leesa mattress about two and a half months ago, and while I do not sink to the bottom, I find myself waking up frequently with an arm numb. This mattress seems to be too firm, if it is causing pressure points.

When I sleep in hotels, I usually seem to like the beds better. Maybe foam just isn’t for me. This got me interested in the WinkBed. Has anyone 250+ tried these, and can share some insight with me as to whether or not they are appropriate for heavier sleepers? Thanks a lot.

Hi patrick2099,

[quote]I started with a Simmons ComforPedic mattress, which I sank almost all the way to the bottom of. This memory foam mattress was also way too hot for me. I can never get comfortable if I am hot. Between the sinkage, heat, and quicksand feeling, I came to the conclusion that memory foam is not for me.

I bought a Leesa mattress about two and a half months ago, and while I do not sink to the bottom, I find myself waking up frequently with an arm numb. This mattress seems to be too firm, if it is causing pressure points.

When I sleep in hotels, I usually seem to like the beds better. Maybe foam just isn’t for me.[/quote]

You certainly dodged a bullet with the Simmons mattress because even if it had been comfortable for you it contains some low quality materials that would most likely soften or break down and lose their comfort and support much too quickly relative to the price you paid.

There are thousands of possible memory foam mattress designs that will vary with different types and of memory foam, different layer thicknesses, different firmness levels for each layer, and differences in the cover that will all affect whether a memory foam mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) and there are also many mattresses such as Leesa that contain memory foam in combination with other comfort layers so it’s very possible that the ones you tried just weren’t a good “match” for you even though others in the same category may be.

If you broaden your search to “foam mattresses” in general (which would include polyfoam, memory foam, and latex foam) there would be even more options available.

While I can’t speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances … outside of PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability and assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the quality/durability guidelines here … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses (including innersprings) are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article).

The first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or if you can’t test a mattress in person then your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would also be very cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because any mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range) and reviews in general certainly won’t tell you much if anything about the quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

You can see some of my comments about Winkbeds along with many of the other “simplified choice” mattresses in post #2 here along with post #2 here. A forum search on winkbed (you can just click the link) will also bring up more comments and feedback about it as well.

While only your own personal experience can tell you whether it’s a good “match” for you in terms of PPP … in terms of the quality and durability of the materials I would be cautious about choosing this mattress in your weight range.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix. I really don’t like the way memory foam feels and the heat retention, so I think that I need to go with latex, coils, or some type of polyfoam. I like the idea of the longer evaluation time that mail order mattresses give me. I can’t lie down on a mattress, in a store, for a few minutes and get a true feel for it. I have read a lot of posts and reviews on here, I really wish that I could pinpoint what I don’t like about the Leesa, so I know what to look for in a different mattress, but I really can’t put my finger on it. I do like it better than memory foam only mattresses, because I don’t sink in quite as much, but the pressure points are causing an issue.

Hi patrick2099,

If a mattress is causing pressure points then that’s usually an indication that it’s too firm so it may be just a matter of the firmness of your mattress rather than the type of mattress (every type and category of mattresses comes in a wide range of firmness levels). While it wouldn’t be related to pressure points … it’s also possible that you don’t like the “feel” of memory foam. I would keep in mind that support and alignment, pressure relief, and the “feel” of a mattress are all related but separate issues. The best way to know which type of materials or mattresses you tend to prefer at least in general terms would be based on your local testing on a range of different types of mattresses to see if you can identify a pattern in the types of materials that are in the mattresses you tend to prefer.

Phoenix