is bed sag really this common?

In the last 6-7 years I’ve had at least 4 mattress, all of which had excessive (in my opinion) sagging after 6-18 months. The first two mattresses were pretty standard $2,000 pillowtop mattresses from Serta, Simmons, or one of those brands. After being frustrated with back pain from a sagging bed that didn’t pass their “unacceptable impressions” guidelines I did a bit of research and ended on memory foam beds. Online comments seemed to suggest that a sagging bed was pretty common and hard to prevent. I didn’t want to get stuck in another situation with a mattress that lost its support so I ended up buying a Novaform memory foam mattress from Costco with the idea that if it started sagging after a year I would just issue a free return and get another one.

Guess what? After 18 months or so I had enough. I had Costco come and pick the bed up for a refund and I ordered another one of the same mattress, hoping that it was a fluke. I was wrong, within a year the mattress has being very noticeably soft/indented/lacking support. I’m going to end up returning this bed as soon as I find a suitable replacement.

I’m a little hesitant to purchase a bed outside of Costco or another store with hassle free lifetime returns, but I’m willing to broaden my horizons. I’ve recently been reading about latex beds which everyone seems to suggest don’t have as much sagging issues. Or, at least, if they do start sagging they will maintain their “support’ which is the most important thing for my back pain. Reading the warranties of these latex mattresses, they have the same text as others which says something along the lines of “minimum 1” of visible sag on an empty mattress” in order to qualify for a warranty claim.

I’m roughly 6’2", 205lbs and a side/stomach sleeper. I like my mattresses firm (in fact if I’m frustrated I usually roll onto the floor/carpet) and I tend to get quite hot when I sleep.

Could someone point me in the right direction? Maybe I’m shopping mattresses all wrong.

Hi needsleep,

The simple answer to your question is that your sagging issues (either virtual sagging which is the result of foam softening and the loss of comfort and support but isn’t visible when you aren’t on the mattress or visible sagging or impressions which are visible when you aren’t on the mattress) is very common with major brand mattresses or any mattress (such as the Novaform mattresses) that uses lower quality and less durable materials that don’t meet the foam quality/durability guidelines here. Unfortunately mattress warranties don’t cover foam softening even though the premature loss of comfort and support is the most common reason that you will need to buy a new mattress and they also don’t cover visible impressions that are less than the warranty exclusions. there is more about mattress warranties in post #174 here. This is the reason that I would avoid the major brands or any mattress that uses either lower quality or “unknown” materials that would be a weak link in the mattress (see the guidelines here)

The best place to start your research and avoid these types of issues is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

The tutorial post includes several links to some of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) that includes many different types of mattresses in a wide range of budgets that would be well worth considering if you are looking at online options and many of these have good return options as well so that you can make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area as well.

Outside of PPP … the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability and the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label so I would always make sure that a retailer or manufacturer you are considering is willing and able to provide you with the information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines before making any purchase

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

I would agree that you many need to “reset” how you are looking for a mattress.

The first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or if you can’t test a mattress in person then your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I or some of the more knowledgeable members of the site can certainly help you to narrow down your options, help you focus on better quality/value choices that are available to you either locally or online, help you identify any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress you may be considering, act as a fact check, answer many of the specific questions you may have along the way that don’t involve what you will “feel” on a mattress, and help with “how” to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress or combination of materials is the best match for you based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. I would be very skeptical of anyone who claims that they have some kind of crystal ball that can predict which specific mattress you will sleep best on with any certainty. It just doesn’t exist.

If you follow the steps in the tutorial one at a time you will have the best possible chance of making a successful purchase in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

Phoenix

The short answer is yes. I’m old enough to remember when a mattress lasted many years. I remember when they started saying to expect it to last 7 years. Now it seems like you are lucky if it holds up a year. It’s extremely frustrating.
I can tell you my own experience with latex is that in 2 years ours has not developed any kind of sag at all. We have ours on a solid platform. My husband is about your size. But, you have to like the feel of latex, and that’s where I am having a problem.

Hi SleepDeprived,

There are many different types of latex mattress designs (or latex hybrid designs) and different types and blends (or combinations) of latex or other components that can feel and respond very differently from each other so sometimes it can just be a matter of finding the “right” latex mattress that is a good “match” in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and how it feels compared to other latex mattresses.

There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and there is also more about some of the differences between Dunlop and Talalay in post #7 here.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thank you so much for the informative reply. I took some time to read through your incredibly helpful posts and articles to educate myself a little before heading out to a store. I did some research in the forum and found a local mattress store that is on your recommended list of retailers.

I spoke with whom I believe to be the owner or at least the manager of The Mattress & Sleep Company in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. The gentlemen was very knowledgeable and explained a lot about the mattresses and didn’t pressure me at all. I tried both Dunlop and Talalay latex in various firmness levels.

I enjoyed both of them. I liked the firmness of the Dunlop but was worried that it would get a bit tiring over time. We ended up switching the Talalay to a solid base instead of a flexible slat base and that seemed to really increase the firmness or feeling of support.

I still haven’t made a decision, but I’m leaning towards the Talalay.

Hi needsleep,

Thanks for the update.

As you know I think highly of TMASC and you are certainly dealing with a very knowledgeable and experienced retailer.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Follow up:

5 weeks ago I purchased a Berkeley Ergonomics Amsterdam Talalay Latex Mattress from The Mattress & Sleep Company in Edmonton, AB. I dealt with Daniel and he was a pleasure to work with. Very knowledgable and genuine, no pressure sales attitude. I also grabbed a St. Dormeir wool mattress cover & and latex rubber pillow.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: tmasc.ca/mattress-canada/talalay-latex-mattress-berkeley-ergo.html

I’ve had the mattress for 2 days and I can feel a huge improvement in my back pain already. The support that the latex provides is excellent. It’s very firm, but still has some give to it wish is nice. I have a firm top-layer on my side and a soft top-layer for my spouse.

Thanks so much for running such an informative website. My friends think I’m crazy when I rave about this site “Mattress Underground”, but I think they’re the crazy ones. :wink:

*** ADMIN: This post was originally a reply to post #7 here and was split into a new topic. ***

I say yes the bed sagging problem seems to be very common these days no matter who you buy a bed from, because most of the beds today are made using memory foam ad other types of foam that do not last hardly beyond a year or so . To me a latex mattress are the best mattress to sleep on. period. . they last for 20 or more years especially if you add a latex topper in a comfort level to you choosing. I found my mattress in Tucker Ga at the Tucker Mattress Co .They have been in business since the seventies and they make them for what feels good to you… They are not expensive.

Hi needsleep,

Thanks for your comments and feedback and for letting us know what you ended up deciding.

You certainly made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Thanks for the kind comments … and needless to say I’m on your side on the “crazy” argument!

Phoenix

Hi atlanta,

While this is certainly true for those that are considering most of the major brands which tend to use lower quality/density materials in their mattresses … the issue with durability isn’t the use of foam materials itself (after all latex is a foam material for example) but the use of lower quality/density foam materials. Higher quality/density memory foam and polyfoam will maintain their comfort and support for many years (see the foam quality/durability guidelines here).

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses (see this article) are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice. Just like any type or category of mattress … some people love latex, some people are OK with it, and some people don’t like it at all.

Having said that … it seems that you are one of the ones that love latex. You certainly made a high quality choice and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

A forum search on Tucker (you can just click the link) will also bring up more comments and feedback about them as well.

Phoenix

Just wanted to thank you for your kind words, was a pleasure dealing with you guys! Glad to hear the bed is working well from the start :slight_smile: