Is Casper softer than Leesa?

After reading and researching we chose the Leesa. It is very nice. However I am a side sleeper and I am still waking up with pain in my hip. Prior to purchasing the Leesa we were thinking of memory foam but decided to go with Casper and Leesa. I have heard different opinions on both and chose the Leesa first. We are still within our return period Maybe we should be looking at something totally different, I am at a loss. I just can’t stand waking up at night and having to change sides due to a numb hip and then have hip pain every day. Any thoughts? If the Leesa doesn’t get better may try the Casper next if indeed is a bit softer for side sleepers or maybe go a different route.

Hi Lisaj950,

There is more about the new “breed” of mattresses that only offer a single firmness choice in post #3 here but I would be cautious with the Leesa because their middle layer is 2" of 3 lb memory foam which is a lower density material than I would be comfortable with in terms of durability.

There is no “standard” definition or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person may feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. Different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness as well. This is all relative to each person’s perceptions and circumstances and the only reliable way to know how firm or soft a mattress feels to you or how it compares to another mattress (regardless of how firm or soft it may feel for someone else) will be based on your own personal testing or sleeping experience.

Having said that there may be some members here that have tried both of them that see your post and can share their opinions as well although it’s not likely that there are many people that have tried both of them.

Phoenix

So we got the Leesa and have had for almost 30 days. Husband is very comfortable, sleeping great. It is a bit too firm for me. My hip is still bothering me and willl go numb during the night. I have to flip over several times. So, now we are considering a latex topper for more cushion. I am considering the 3" from Brooklyn Bedding. I just can’t decide between the Soft or Medium. I have read all the reviews and I still can’t decide. The company has suggested the “soft” to relieve the pressure points but I do not want it to be too soft for husband who is 200 lbs and comfortable. I know it is very subjective, I am just trying to see if anyone has experience with these toppers.

So we got the Leesa and have had for almost 30 days. Husband is very comfortable, sleeping great. It is a bit too firm for me. I am a side sleeper and my hip will go numb during the night. I have to flip over several times. So, now we are considering a latex topper for more cushion. I am considering the 3" from Brooklyn Bedding. I just can’t decide between the Soft or Medium. I have read all the reviews and I still can’t decide. The company has suggested the “soft” to relieve the pressure points but I do not want it to be too soft for husband who is 200 lbs and comfortable. I know it is very subjective, I am just trying to see if anyone has experience with these toppers.

Hi Lisaj950,

It may be worth rotating the mattress to see if your husbands side is any softer than yours because his side will “break in” a little more quickly than yours because of his higher weight.

I would be very cautious about using other people’s reviews or experiences on a topper (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how suitable or how soft or firm it may feel to you and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a topper that would be a perfect choice for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on or vice versa (see post #13 here).

There is also no “standard” definition or consensus of opinion for firmness ratings and different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a topper that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, their individual sensitivity and perceptions, and the specific mattress they are using it on (which will have a significant effect on how firm or soft a topper feels as well). This is all relative and is as much an art as a science. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a topper (see post #15 here).

When you can’t test a mattress/topper combination in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specific options they have available based on the information you provide them about you and your mattress, any local testing you have done, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific toppers to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences than anyone else.

Post #2 here and the posts it links to also have some suggestions that can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to choose a topper that would have the least risk and the best chance of success.

Phoenix