Is Easy Rest Bellapedic Comfort Layer Good Mixing 1" with 3" & Should Memory Foam be a Support Layer

I just talked to Easy Rest (Jody) who said she has talked to you before. I asked her for detailed specs as their website is very light on details. We have a 13 yr old Temperpedic. Was good but recently shoulder pain and lack of lumbar support are problems for us both as side and back sleepers.

They offer 2 Bella Pedic memory foam beds. Bellisima 10" = 1" 4 lb, 3" 5.3 lb, 6" Base; Perfezione 12" = 1" 4 lb, 4" 5 lb, 7" Base

I asked for info on the support layer & she said it was a standard base layer. I asked for more specifics as to whether it was maybe HD polyfoam. She 1st said it was HD then at the end of the call said it was HR. I suggested this would be impressive & asked if she was certain of this. She said that’s what “she was told”. As they are Certipur certified beds, I asked if she could send me a document on the Certipur specs. She implied she would.

Having a 1" top layer is confusing me from your normal recommendations of 2-4". Do you believe the combination they are putting together should make for a good comfort layer in pressure relief?

Why do you think they’ve decided to marry 1" of 4 lb and 3 or 4" of 5 lb?

Is this often done?

Should I expect to be able to get a certification document on any bed I consider that would specify every layers IL and lbs.?

If you know of any great retailers in Bend OR 97702, please mention them?

Last, am I correct your message is Memory Foam is not good as a SUPPORT LAYER?

Mattess Factory does some manufacturing but the salesperson didn’t ask me enough questions & was too quick to let me lay on & quote on a $4000 latex. Absolutely not I would say, and I think you would too.

So comforting to know this purchase does not have to be like a used car. Thank you for your passion to help us!

Julie D.

Hi julieward,

You can see the memory foam guidelines I generally suggest in post #10 here and the materials you have listed are all good quality materials that meet the guidelines in terms of quality and density.

Memory foam isn’t used as a primary support layer because it is too soft which is why there is always a different material used in the support layers of a memory foam mattress (usually polyfoam but sometimes an innerspring or latex). It can be used as a middle transition or “secondary support” layer though. You can read more about the relationship between primary support, secondary support, and pressure relief in post #4 here. The goal is always make sure that a mattress keeps you in good alignment in all your sleeping positions.

The comfort layers in this mattress would include the 4 lb memory foam and the 5 lb memory foam. Some people call the lower memory foam layer a “support layer” but this isn’t accurate and the depth of a “comfort layer” depends on how much you sink into the mattress … not on the specific thickness of the layers on top of the mattress (although they are usually called comfort layers just for ease of reference). It’s really just the top few inches of the mattress.

The retailer should be able to answer these questions for you (it’s part of their “job” to call the factory if they don’t have the information available) because the manufacturer … Easy Rest … is transparent and makes them available. I believe that their base layers are in the area of 2.0 lb polyfoam which is a good quality material (HD not HR although these are often confused in the industry).

Yes it’s done very often. It’s part of how a manufacturer can create different “feels” in a mattress and there are many memory foam mattresses that use many different combinations of memory foam in different densities and with different properties in the upper layers of the mattress. You will always find a firmer more “fast response” layer or component below them for primary support though.

If you mean CertiPur certification then a mattress manufacturer itself could be certified or they could be using foams that are certified at the manufacturing level. Either way the foams would be certified. Like many mattress manufacturers … Easy Rest isn’t certified as a mattress manufacturer but they do use memory foam that is made by a CertiPur certified foam manufacturer (Health Care Foam*). I don’t know if they would provide the actual certificate since that is issued to their supplier not to Easy Rest.

ADMIN NOTE: *Removed 404 link|Archived Footprint: certipur.us/pages/for-industry/find-a-foam-supplier/hk-foam/

I would probably have tested it for PPP and then made sure I was able to find out all the layers inside it to use it as a reference point although I certainly agree that at $4000 I would make some VERY careful value comparisons with other latex mattresses either locally or online.

There isn’t a forum list for Bend (although there are a few options in post #2 here) so these are some of the retailers or manufacturers I would consider as better possibilities in the Bend, OR area and the brands they carry I would include in your research (always subject to their willingness and ability to provide you with the specs of their mattresses and of course the criteria of your own personal value equation) …

mattressfactorynw.com - mattressfactorynw Resources and Information. Factory direct manufacturer in Bend, OR and Vancouver, WA. They make a range of latex/innerspring hybrids, gel memory foam, and traditional innerspring/polyfoam mattresses that use 1.8 lb foam and higher. They are also planning to build a Dunlop all latex layered mattress (I don’t know if they have yet).

http://www.organicsleepproducts.com/mattress-sets.html Bend, OR. Part of the Mattress Factory NW. They carry OMI, iMattress, 5 models of PLB, Novopure. They said they would provide foam densities for all of them. I would also make some careful value comparisons here based on the specifics of the materials in each mattresses because some of these may be in a more premium price range.

http://cascademattress.com/ Bend, OR. Easy Rest, Restonic, Lady Americana, Northwest Bedding.

http://www.bedmartmattresssuperstores.com/ Bend, Redmond, OR. Easy Rest, Pure Latex Bliss, Northwest Bedding and their own house brand. This was based on some research a few months ago and they now appear to be part of America’s Mattress and none of these mattresses are listed on their site anymore (only major brands which I would avoid) so make sure you call first to clarify what they have on their floor.

I’ll make a few calls over the next few days and add anything to the list that has changed or is worth including since the last time I looked in the area.

Phoenix

:woohoo: :cheer: :kiss:
Not only are you extremely generous, you’re extremely intelligent and you write very well indeed. This is a remarkable site. I’m telling everyone in my world. Thank you for your investigation of the Bend OR area. :slight_smile: