Is flipping two sided mattress really that beneficial?

Hi,

First, let me say massive thanks for this website. It is just incredible what you have achieved with this Phoenix. I came here when I was researching basic about mattresses and today I am thinking about starting a mattress business in our far away part of the world (Czech republic).

I have a question regarding double sided mattresses. My mother in law is looking at buying this mattress: https://johann-malle.cz/dream-31

The sales people claim, that making a mattress that have identical sides and thus allowing for periodical flipping is super beneficial for it’s longevity.

Now I see where they are coming from, but it begs an obvious question: is it forth to have this extra longevity at the expense of having some of the top notch materials at the bottom of the mattress (like latex and horsehair) all the time and thus not getting the most out of paying for the materials?

I hope this makes sense, thank you for any input.

A

Hi machytka,

Welcome all the way from the Czech republic … and thanks for the kind comments as well :slight_smile:

[quote]I have a question regarding double sided mattresses. My mother in law is looking at buying this mattress: johann-malle.cz/dream-31

The sales people claim, that making a mattress that have identical sides and thus allowing for periodical flipping is super beneficial for it’s longevity.

Now I see where they are coming from, but it begs an obvious question: is it forth to have this extra longevity at the expense of having some of the top notch materials at the bottom of the mattress (like latex and horsehair) all the time and thus not getting the most out of paying for the materials?

I hope this makes sense, thank you for any input.[/quote]

A two sided mattress that is rotated and flipped on a regular basis (see post #2 here) will certainly last longer than a one sided mattress that uses the same comfort layers on only one side of the innerspring (even with very durable materials such as latex) because for half the time the comfort layers on the bottom of the mattress aren’t subject to the same amount of compression forces that soften and break down the materials over time as the upper layers in the mattress. Having said that … there are also some design limitations with two sided mattresses because if the comfort layers are too thick and soft then the layers on the bottom can compromise the support/alignment of the mattress so a one sided design can have more design flexibility. There is more about the pros and cons of one sided vs two sided mattresses in post #3 here and the posts it links to.

Phoenix

Thanks a lot for your input Phoenix