Is Green Sleep Talalay or Dunlop?

I have read that Dunlop process is more “green” as it doesn’t use chemicals in vulcanization. I am considering greensleep but all I can find is “greensleep’s proprietary Dunlop process incorporates an injection moulding process similar to Talalay, combining the purity of Dunlop and the consistency of Talalay.”

Do you know if it uses chemicals similar to Talalay ?

Thanks Phoenix,

M.

Hi mary2015,

Greensleep uses a molded Dunlop process to make their latex which is different from the Talalay process. There are some videos linked in post #3 here that show the different production processes and there is also more about the differences between Talalay and Dunlop in post #7 here.

All latex foam (including 100% natural Dunlop and Talalay and organic latex) uses a small amount of chemicals to manufacture the latex (see the first part of post #7 here) but the manufacturers don’t release the specifics of their compounding formula which is a closely guarded secret.

The two main “chemical” differences between them is that Talalay latex uses carbon dioxide gas as a gelling agent while Dunlop latex uses sodium fluorosilicate. Natural Dunlop latex is also often manufactured closer to the latex plantations so in many cases it needs less ammonia or other stabilizing agents to stabilize the latex and prevent it from coagulating or putrefying before it’s used while Talalay is made in Holland or in the USA so the liquid field latex they use will often contain higher levels of ammonia or other chemicals to stabilize it before it’s used to manufacture the latex. Most of the ammonia is removed during the foaming process either way.

Which one is more “green” would really depend on how you define “green” and the “cradle to grave” carbon footprint and environmental impact of each of them (including water useage) which would be very difficult to assess (see post #4 here). There really isn’t enough specific information available about either of them to know for certain which one would be more “green” by any particular definition.

Post #2 here and the more detailed posts and information it links to also have more information about safe, natural, organic, “chemical free”, and “green” mattresses and mattress materials that can help you sort through some of the marketing information and terminology that you will encounter in the industry and can help you differentiate between them and answer “how safe is safe enough for me” so you can decide on the types of materials or components you are most comfortable with having in your mattress. These types of issues are complex and are generally specific to each person and their individual sensitivities, circumstances, criteria, beliefs, and lifestyle choices.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix, much appreciated