Is it silly to pay extra for wool top layer and then put a waterproof protector over the top?

With the help of all the information on this site, I just ordered a 12" Bamboo Bliss latex mattress from Brooklyn Bedding. I was compelled by the Bamboo Bliss over the 10" Cotton Camilla, in part due to the wool top layer and the potential benefits (such as in temperature/humidity regulation) that this might be expected to bring. However, when chatting with a BB agent prior to ordering, he strongly recommended that I consider the Sleep Tite waterproof mattress protector.

Would putting a protector like this over the top of the Bamboo Bliss essentially negate the potential benefits of the wool top layer? In other words, might if using the protector, might I be just as well off with the 10" Cotton Camilla or the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop on Amazon? Many thanks in advance to those who may have any thoughts on this topic!

Hi soundfulslumber,

I think a mattress protector is an important part of a sleeping system. It can help protect the mattress from accidents and the moisture and body fluids that we all emit each night. It can also protect the mattress against the accumulation of dust mites (which feed on the skin particles we lose each night). It’s also much easier to remove and clean a mattress protector to keep your sleeping surface clean and hygienic than removing and cleaning a mattress cover and even a small stain on a mattress cover can void your warranty.

There are different types of mattress protectors though which each have their own pros and cons that you can read about in post #89 here. The thinner “membrane type” of protector are a very common choice because of their lower cost, relatively small effect on the “feel” of the mattress, and because they are waterproof although they can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress for some people because they don’t breathe and ventilate as well as the other types of mattress protectors.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for your reply! I really appreciate your thoughts on this, but I guess my question was a bit more theoretical. That is, if one is going to use a waterproof mattress protector (i.e., something that likely includes a polyurethane membrane) does that not effectively negate the temperature and especially humidity qualities of the mattress top layer and materials of the cover? If it effectively does, I would think this would be an important consideration in 1) when purchasing, what mattress qualities will truly matter if planning to use a waterproof mattress protector or 2) what type of mattress protector to use if your existing mattress has enhanced breathing qualities (such as a wool top layer or a bamboo or aloe mattress cover). In all my searching, I haven’t yet seen this seemingly important idea discussed in these forums, so I figured I would try to raise the question.

soundfulslumber

Hi soundfulslumber,

My reply and the post I linked about mattress protectors both talk about the tradeoffs that are involved in your choice of a mattress protector so I’m not sure what part of your question I missed. You can also read more about the factors involved in temperature regulation in post #2 here.

It wouldn’t “negate” the benefits of wool in terms of its breathability and temperature regulation but it would reduce them yes because there would be less airflow through the protector which wouldn’t allow liquids to penetrate through the mattress although it still allows water vapor. You would be trading some moisture wicking, ventilation, and temperature regulation for the waterproof qualities of the protector and a reduced effect on the feel of the mattress. For those where water resistant is enough then one of the wool quilted mattress protectors that are water resistant rather than waterproof would probably be a better choice if temperature regulation is a more important factor than a protector that is waterproof and the higher cost is not an issue.

Phoenix