Is Naturepedic Verse too firm?

I’m looking for a ‘grown up’ mattress for my 5yr old. Having something non-toxic is important too me, and also, I’ve read that latex is very susceptible to mold so I decided to avoid this material… As you understand, this leaves me with very few choices.
Naturepedic Verse looks like a good choice (and more affordable than their other mattresses), but I wonder if it’s too firm? Phoenix recommended medium to medium-firm surfaces for children of my son’s age. He sleeps in all positions, including on the side, so I wonder if firm or extra firm would be too firm for him? We don’t have a showroom nearby and manufacturers can have different ideas about what ‘firm’ is.
Anyone tested the Verse? Is it really firm? Too firm for a soon 6yr old? He is pretty large for his age and I really have no idea if he’s going to end up a large adult, or slow down at some point.
We are in Canada, BC

Hey skyisred,

Welcome to TMU’s forum :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your question.

Congrats on your son’s new mattress shopping journey :slight_smile: ! He must be quite excited to be moving to his first “grown up” bed; what size will he be getting? Regarding potential mold issues, does your home have humidity concerns? Keep in mind that many materials can be susceptible to mold, given the right environmental conditions for its encouragement. Latex in itself is considered to be mold resistant and does not encourage mold growth; however, damp encasements in combination with higher humidity could promote mold development. In other words, if mold spores are present and have nutrition and water available, it will grow regardless of whether latex is the host or some other material.

Naturepedic’s Verse Organic Kids Mattress features comfort layers of organic cotton over a 7" pocket coil support core and is rated as a firm support mattress. Naturpedic also describes the comfort feel as “slightly firmer”. Whether your son perceives the comfort feel of the mattress to be too firm will depend more on his height, weight, and body profile, resulting in how deeply he sinks into the mattress. For others who may be following your research, here is a quote from the Phoenix post you reference regarding mattress firmness for kids:

“Generally, for growing children, you’d want something more in the “medium” to “medium-firm” range, due to their epiphyseal plate and postural formation, but other than this I would make your final choice based your preferences of materials, which one you believe would be most suitable for your children, your conversations with each manufacturer, the options you have to change the comfort level of the mattress when your children get older, their body matures and develops, and their needs and preferences change (by adding a topper, flipping the mattress, or changing the layering), your budget, and finally based on “best judgement” and which one you are “leaning towards” most strongly.”

What is your son’s current height and weight? Generally speaking, during the “growth spurt” years between the ages of 8- 16, a child’s height and weight can double as they approach adulthood, with their body’s comfort and support needs continually developing along the way. A medium firmness mattress is often recommended for children, as it offers enough of a comfort surface combined with proper support of their developing bodies. During the teen years, a separate mattress topper can be added to provide more comfort, should your son’s preferences change.

[quote]Anyone tested the Verse? Is it really firm? Too firm for a soon 6yr old? He is pretty large for his age and I really have no idea if he’s going to end up a large adult, or slow down at some point.
We are in Canada, BC[/quote]

Hopefully, someone with Verse experience will drop in and share their experience with you, skyisred. Good luck with your research and let us know what mattress you decide on for your son.

Sensei

Hi Sensei, thank you for replying!
We will be getting him a twin bed (have the bed frame already). He is 53 lbs, and about 4’3, average build. I contacted the manufacturer asking about their firmness, but couldn’t get any specific answers other than its firm enough for a child and somewhat softer than their crib.
After more reading, I decided that it’s probably best to go with a firm mattress now and add a topper later if needed. I also found another candidate, a futon by TFS Honest Sleep. I actually made another post asking about it (couldn’t change this post’s title to included it) could you kindly offer an opinion ?
https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/anyone-heard-of-tfs-honest-sleep-company-and-their-futon

Our moisture levels aren’t too high, however I do keep finding moldy spots on windows and in the shower. I do not have access to the attic (rental), but suspect there might be mold issues there.
Do you think Verse is a mattress that would ‘air out’ well and not harbor any moisture? Also, what do you think about cotton allergy mattress encasement? LO has a history of multiple allergies, they seem to have subsided now, but I was considering adding an encasement ‘just in case’ anyway. Would an encasement prevent the mattress form airing out?

This is actually another reason for me not wanting a latex mattress. Latex can cause allergic reactions and cannot be encased easily

Hey skyisred,

Thanks for your response and my apologies for taking so long to get back to you :slight_smile: .

I won’t get into mold issues as that is a topic outside of TMU’s scope. There are small, inexpensive humidity gauges available online (Amazon has quite a few) that you may considering trying in your bathroom to get a better feel for how high the moisture level is, in case you have concerns that should be discussed with your landlord.

Did you check out Naturepedic’s 2-in-1 Organic Kids mattress? It is a two-sided mattress with one side using a proprietary food-grade waterproof surface designed to flip over once children are ready for more of an “older kids” mattress. As the Verse is made with natural materials for children’s use, it should air out well. As far as not harboring any moisture, that would depend on how the mattress is used and cared for overtime. Proper encasements and routine maintenance will go a long way in keeping any mattress fresh and in good working order.

[quote]Also, what do you think about cotton allergy mattress encasement? LO has a history of multiple allergies, they seem to have subsided now, but I was considering adding an encasement ‘just in case’ anyway. Would an encasement prevent the mattress form airing out?
[/quote]

If your son has an allergy history, you may consider consulting with his Doctor about what encasements would be recommended for avoiding triggers related to fabrics. Encasements that are Oeko-Tex certified or GOTS certified ensure that the materials have been tested for potentially harmful VOC’s (you can learn more about certifications in this Phoenix post. If the mattress is on a foundation that allows for proper ventilation and the encasement/ linens are changed regularly, there should be no problems with air circulation.

Not sure what you mean when you say that a latex mattress cannot be encased easily? But that is neither here nor there, as you aren’t considering purchase of one anyway :wink: . It’s been a while since we last chatted; did you find something for your son or are you still researching? Let us know how things go once you decide.

Thanks,
Sensei