Is the Pure Latex Bliss Nature totally "natural" -- no offgassing, etc., incl cover, fire retardant?

I am deciding between the Pure Latex Bliss Nature and an organic latex + springs mattress from The Natural Mattress Store in the SF Bay Area (“Integrity” is the name of the particular mattress). The salesman at the NMS mentioned that the PLB Nature uses rayon and silica and other things I don’t remember, including as a cover, and that these things aren’t “organic” or “natural.” Should I care? Is there any evidence this is bad for me? Thoughts? I feel like the PLB is slightly more comfortable, plus I like that it is thinner and doesn’t have springs. But I don’t want to spend a small fortune on a mattress that is still filled with a little bit of junk.

With Pure Latex Bliss they use some relatively deceptive marketing, you need to know whether you are buying out of the “Natural” or the “All Natural Line”

The “Natural” Line is using blended Talalay Latex (30% Natural, 70% petroleum derived synthetic latex).

The “All Natural” Line is using Natural Talalay Latex (100% Natural other than the standard latex fillers)

If you cannot trust your salesperson simply ask them about the warranty,

The Natural line carries a 20 year warranty, the All Natural line carries a 10 year warranty.

Both lines use synthetic coverings (Rayon,Viscose, Spandex blend). Viscose and Rayon are technically derived in part from natural fibers however the process itself I wouldn’t say is natural. That being said Viscose can be pretty good quality fabric and tends to outperform other synthetics on humidity control. Both beds also glue all the layers of latex together as well. Not sure what kind of adhesive they are using, but some would prefer not to have any.

If you do not want to go for a bed with springs (which I totally understand) there must be some other good dealers in your area that carry truly natural latex mattresses without springs, Phoenix can perhaps point you in the right direction as far as who to check out.

Hi Nicky,

I think Daniel covered most of the information about the PLB but I can add a few more comments.

The PLB uses a rayon silica fire barrier which is a completely safe material (see post #2 here).

The glue they use is a water based latex glue which is also non toxic.

Their cover is made mostly from viscose materials which are neither natural or synthetic (they are typically labelled as semi synthetic). There is a little more about viscose or rayon type fabrics in post #11 here.

I would also keep in mind that the mattresses you are comparing are not really apples to apples comparisons (innerspring/latex hybrid vs an all latex mattress).

There are also other examples of both types of mattresses (latex / innerspring hybrid and all latex) available in the SF area that you may also want to compare in post #2 here.

There is also more information about the different types of latex in post #6 here. All of the latex you are likely to encounter (Dunlop or Talalay using natural, synthetic, or a blend of latex) has been certified for harmful substances and offgassing by OekoTex standard 100 or other similar testing protocols so I would consider all of them to be “safe”.

Phoenix

Thanks guys – both of these posts were very helpful. It looks like the manufacturing process for viscose is not environmentally friendly, but we’ve decided to go with the PLB despite that. It’s just more comfortable and it looks like all the components are safe.

I looked at the recommended locations and it looks like the best price I can get is from Sleep City in San Rafael. Hopefully they are a good place!

Thanks again – much appreciated.

Hi Nicky,

I’m looking forward to your feedback after you visit them and of course finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

I love my PLB bed. I have had it for a few months now and couldn’t be happier. I hope you enjoy yours as well. I would highly recommend getting some of the all natural pillows to go with your new mattress.