Is there an equivalent to Tempur original mattresses? Like Ergoflex? Octasprung?

I need to buy a new mattress and tried the Tempur line in a store and loved the way they feel (I’ve also slept on a friend’s for a few weeks)
The problem is that here in Scotland a superking (which is like an American king) size, original, 22 costs over 2000 pounds.
I’ve spent hours on the web looking for an equivalent and 2 contenders seem to be the Ergoflex, which is 589, but there is no way to try it out. You have to order it and can return it, supposedly.
The other is the Octospring line (the firmest of the three), which felt similar in the store, but not quite as good, and still costs 1200 pounds.

So - any ideas about how Ergoflex would compare in feel? And how either would hold up in time compared to the Tempur? (It’s so cold here in the summer that sleeping hot is not much of an issue.)

Many thanks
Alex

Hi alexinedinburgh,

Unfortunately I have little knowledge about the Scottish market so I can only provide more generic advice.

There is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one in post #9 here.

The most reliable way to know how closely two mattresses compare in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) will be based on your own experience and perceptions (which can be different from someone else because the “feel” of a mattress is very subjective). If you aren’t able to try a mattress in person before a purchase so you can know how they compare based on personal experience then you would be dependent on the information that was provided by an online retailer or manufacturer that is familiar with the mattress you are using as a “target” and how their own mattress would compare “on average” for most (but not necessarily all) people. Some manufacturers make or sell mattresses that are specifically designed to be a close approximation of some of the major brand mattresses such as Tempurpedic that are widely available. In this case I would also consider their return or exchange policy as a more important part of the “value” of your purchase and your personal value equation so you still have good options available after a purchase in case your own personal experience doesn’t agree with their descriptions.

In terms of the quality/durability of a mattress you can compare this based on the quality/density of the materials inside it. If you can find out the information in this article about each mattress you are comparing then you can make meaningful comparisons between them in terms of durability based on the guidelines in post #4 here. If you can post the information on the forum then I’d also be happy to make some comments about the quality/durability of the materials inside them. There is also more about the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to each person in post #4 here and the posts it links to.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix
Thanks so much for this reply. According to the website of Ergoflex they make only one kind of mattress, which they say compares to the Tempur original 21 or 22, and is composed of ‘5 layers’:

-Velour outer cover - removable and washable, treated with hypo-allergenic anti microbial solution

• Protective inner mattress cover
  • 9cm deep High Density 3rd generation 85kg/m3 visco-elastic memory foam - medium firmness
  • 3cm deep Ergoflex smart cool-sleep airflow system
  • 9cm deep High density supportive base foam layer

I’m just not sure how that would compare in “feel” to a Tempur. I guess it boils down to the gamble of ordering something online to potentially save over 1000 pounds …

I’ve also found a store that has the Tempur original 18 (or 19?) line at quite a bit less than their 22 deluxe line - but I wonder if it would be too firm over time? Or would a Tempur 18 “sensation” (which is meant to be less firm) feel very similar to a Tempur 22 deluxe original?

Thanks,
Alex

Hi alexinediburgh,

[quote]Thanks so much for this reply. According to the website of Ergoflex they make only one kind of mattress, which they say compares to the Tempur original 21 or 22, and is composed of ‘5 layers’:

-Velour outer cover - removable and washable, treated with hypo-allergenic anti microbial solution

• Protective inner mattress cover
  • 9cm deep High Density 3rd generation 85kg/m3 visco-elastic memory foam - medium firmness
  • 3cm deep Ergoflex smart cool-sleep airflow system
  • 9cm deep High density supportive base foam layer[/quote]

I’m not familiar with the Tempurpedic mattresses in Europe but if you have tested the Tempurpedic mattress that they are comparing their mattress to in person and it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP then the Ergoflex may be worth considering depending on your confidence that it really is similar after a more detailed conversation with Ergoflex or the retailer that is selling it.

The top layer of the Ergoflex is 3.5" of 5.3 lb memory foam which would be similar to the Tempur 5.3 lb memory foam in terms of quality/durability although it may have a different “feel” and respond differently to pressure and temperature.

I would also want to know the type and density of the polyfoam in the middle and lower layers of the mattress as well. The middle layer especially is close enough to the top of the mattress that it could affect the overall durability and useful life of the mattress.

I would also take into account that there are many variables in mattress comparisons can be somewhat subjective so a mattress that feels similar to one person may not feel similar to the next so with any online purchase the return or exchange policies of the manufacturer or retailer may be a much more important part of the “value” of a purchase that you can’t test in person so instead of personal testing in a store you can use your own experience to assess the suitability of the mattress in terms of PPP.

All of this would be part of each person’s personal value equation which is all the objective, subjective, and intangible parts of a mattress purchase that are important to you that you can use to compare the relative “value” of two mattresses that you are considering.

Phoenix