Is This a Good Buy?

Hello, I first learned of latex mattresses last fall with the help of this site. As a cost saving measure at the time I ordered a latex mattress topper from Spindle Mattress. Overall I have really liked the latex topper in the last 9 months we have used it. However, it is time (and I now have the money) to purchase a new mattress. As you all know purchasing mattresses is very confusing.

I live in the Toledo, OH area and the only fully latex mattress I could find were those made by Pure Latex Bliss at a very nice mattress store about 40 minutes away. I really like the feel of the mattress and knew ahead of time that I wanted to try a latex mattress before blindly purchasing one online. This store carries the Beautiful, Nature and Pamper Mattresses from Pure Latex Bliss.

They said Pure Latex Bliss had a warehouse fire about a month ago and they are not sure when they can even expect the mattresses to arrive in stock. So they have decided to sell their floor models 50% off.

The Pamper (8" Talalay) is $1159
The Nature (10" Talalay) is $1499.50
The Beautiful (12" Talalay) is $1549.50

Is this a good brand of latex mattresses? I have read on here a few things about questionable quality, but for the price I wasn’t sure I could get a better deal. What do you think?

What size mattress is this for? Queen? Did you try them out? where any a good fit for you? I assume that the fire they were referring to was at Latex International. More on the fire is here.

These were all queen mattresses. I think either the Nature or the Beautiful are a good fit for me. I was surprised at how supportive they were without being too firm. I will have to take my partner in to the store this week to try them out. He is a side sleeper and I am a back sleeper. We both prefer a medium-firm mattress though. I have been wanting a latex mattress, one of the properties I really like is the breathability and temperature regulation latex is supposed to have.

Mattress shopping is definitely information overload! I also liked the Beautyrest Comfort IQ line, although I don’t think the mattresses are as natural as latex and I think Beautyrest isn’t very open about their material densities, not to mention they are twice as much. :slight_smile:

I forgot to mention, the floor models do not come with a warranty at all. The covers do appear to be a little dirty but it looks like they are completely removable. Normally I wouldn’t purchase a floor model, but this seems like a really good deal being 50% off. The associate was very knowledgeable about all of the mattresses and seemed to know her stuff about the Pure Latex Bliss line. She said the owner is very supportive of latex and is disappointed they can’t order them in right now. She also said the 14 months they have been selling the Pure Latex Bliss line they have not had one return, which is the only brand they carry with 0 returns.

I would just be hesitant because they carry no warranty. Even though the sales associate said she fully believes the mattresses will never have a warranty issue. She mentioned how a couple of the other employees are latex fanatics and if I wanted more details I should talk to them.
Another reason I would be hesitant is they are not returnable. They are selling the floor models because they aren’t sure if they will be able to get the line back in. I would hate to spend $1500 and absolutely hate the mattress. I think I would like latex though because I have a dunlop latex mattress topper now and really like it. Pure Latex Bliss says that Talalay is supposed to be sleep even cooler than dunlop too which would be a huge plus for me.

It would be hard to beat the price on 12" of latex. However, it is only a good deal if it is comfortable to the both of you. If you read the link about the fire, you will realize that the sales people are exaggerating a little. However it is a good buy for that mattress. I’m sure that Phoenix will chime in.

Hi rocket29,

As the link jankdc mentioned … the fire was a temporary setback but they are still delivering mattresses to their retailers and there was only a minimal disruption to their delivery schedules so I’m not sure if the reason they are giving you is the real reason they are selling them off. I know of retailers that are still receiving timely deliveries.

Either way though … the points that jankdc made are all good ones. There is more about the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here and I would make sure that you and your partner do some careful and objective testing on the models you are considering so that you have confidence that the mattress you choose is suitable for both of you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

I would also keep in mind that you can always add some additional softness and pressure relief to a mattress that is too firm by adding a topper but there are no great ways to “fix” a mattress that is too soft.

While blended Talalay latex is a great quality and durable material … sometimes there can be a manufacturing defect in any mattress so the lack of warranty would also have some additional risk that you would need to factor in. The prices you are looking at are very good compared to their regular prices but they are not 50% lower than some of the other new options you have that are not a lot more costly than the mattresses you are looking at and that would also provide you with some very good options to customize the mattress both before and after a purchase if your sleeping experience indicated it was necessary and that also have return options as well. One example is here (just as a reference) which is an 8" latex mattress that uses two 3" layers of Dunlop (which would be in the same price range as blended Talalay) and a top 2" layer of 100% natural Talalay (which is more costly than blended Talalay) and a zip cotton cover that is not a lot more than the Pamper and has a warranty and provides an option to choose the firmness level of all the layers and exchange any of the layers that you need to. Another example is here which includes a 6" blended Talalay core and a 2" blended Talalay comfort layer (with the option for a 3" layer at a slight additional cost) and a wool quilted cover (which is a more costly cover and more temperature regulating than sleeping directly on latex) which also provides custom options and the ability to exchange a layer if you need to. Both of these also come with split firmness levels so each side of the mattress can be customized individually if you have different needs and preferences.

Of course I’m not suggesting that any of these would be better “value” for you because that would depend on the parts of your personal value equation that are more important to you … but it does mean that “good value” is more about how a mattress compares to other similar mattresses that are available to you than about how big a discount you are receiving off a regular retail price that is higher than many other alternatives.

This topic and discussion with another member that was considering a PLB floor model would also be be well worth reading.

In the end if you are comfortable with a mattress that has been used by others for testing, has some additional risk because of the lack of warranty (even though it’s not likely to be an issue), and you are confident that it’s a good match for both of you in terms of PPP so that the lack of options after a purchase isn’t important, and it also compares well to the other choices that are available to you based on all the other criteria that are important to you then IMO it would certainly be well worth considering as a purchase.

Phoenix

Another option is to talk to Neal at Spindle and to describe what each of you like and not like about the PLB mattresses. Let him know that you bought a topper from him and he can design something for each of you based on your preferences and topper that you currently have. Total sleeping height would be around 12".

Even if you need to take advantage of the $150 comfort adjustment, it would still be competitive to the Beautiful.

Jankdc,

From the prices I have read it is a good buy for that mattress. Though it being a floor model if my partner likes it, I am going to see if they will come down in price a little.

The sales associate may have exaggerated the fire like you said. She was a lot more knowledgeable than any other mattress store I have been to in my area (Banner Mattress, Mattress Firm, Denver Mattress, Sears). However, she did admit to me that she is not the expert on latex mattresses by any means and referred me to her manager for additional information. I thought this was incredible because most people I have encountered (both in mattress shopping and other retail) are not willing to find additional information or honestly tell you that they do not know the answer.

Do you know why the Dunlop mattress topper from Spindle feels completely different from the PLB mattresses? We got the medium firmness I believe. It just doesn’t seem as “airy” as the PLB mattresses felt. I’m not sure if spindle has talalay mattresses though. I remember when I purchased the topper, Spindle Mattress said I could purchase a 7" mattress at a later date and just add the topper to make a 10" mattress. I didn’t see 7" queens on their site now though.

Phoenix,

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I have read on this site for hours and hours. I searched for Pure Latex Bliss and read many forums referring to the mattresses and read a lot of your responses.

Do you think it is suspect that the mattress store is wanting to sell off the floor models? The sales associate admitted she did not know everything about mattresses, but still I’m sure she was just referring what she was told. I talked to her for almost 2 hours and it sounds like Crane’s Mattress Superstore really cares about their customers. We were just casually talking about my previous experience with Beautyrest and she mentioned a warranty issue with Tempurpedic. I was impressed that the store owner replaced the Tempurpedic out of pocket because he felt it was a warranty issue, even though Tempurpedic themselves refused to warranty the 3 year old mattress with impressions because there was a 1/2" pee dribble from the owners dog that Tempurpedic found with a black light.

This is one of my main concerns now. I won’t be able to go to the store again with my partner until this Wednesday. I think the Nature would ultimately be better because additional softness can be added if it is too firm. Ultimately I am completely confused.
I know that I do not want anything from the major brands. Not only did we have a bad experience with Simmons Beautyrest in the past, I also don’t think the company is very transparent about the materials they use in their mattresses.

I am really set on a Latex bed for a number of reasons. I need something that sleeps cooler, I have horrible allergies and take three medications daily for both indoor and outdoor allergies year round, and latex is the most durable foam.
We tried a serta icomfort last fall before learning much about latex. We ended up returning it because I felt like I couldn’t move on it because of the sinking in feeling and it slept terrible hot! Not to mention the chemical smell made me sick!

I forgot to mention that the floor models of the Pure Latex Bliss come with the soft base and the firm base. I was told that you can still put the mattress on a platform surface, but the floor models have the split queen foundations and one is soft and one is firm. The reason I mention this is because the 8" Pamper from PLB did not seem like enough support. You provided the link to SleepEZ and I am almost positive the 8" mattress would not work.
At Crane Mattress Superstore the Pamper is on the split foundation, but the Nature and the Beautiful are both on solid foundations. The Beautiful is on a solid adjustable platform and the Nature has the split foundation but both sides are the firm. They said that you have to take the split soft and firm foundation, but the bed can be on a platform if you prefer.

It is odd with the split foundation on the Pamper. The “firm” foundation side was way too hard, but feeling the foundation it is just like a solid wood platform. When I felt the “soft” foundation it had a lot of give to it. I actually liked the soft side of the Pamper mattress more. When my partner and I go back to the store, we will probably put the Nature mattress on the split queen foundations to see if we like it. He prefers a softer mattress and I prefer something a bit firmer. Maybe that would work.

Talk about providing even more confusion with a split base.

The associate at the store said that defects are usually seen within the first year. Do you think this is true and the mattress would likely show a warranty issue by now? You said in the other post that warranties are usually more of a marketing tool.

In another post you also stated that there is no weak links in the PLB mattresses. How do you feel about the SleepEZ mattresses?

I would certainly consider the SleepEZ mattress line. Their website is a bit messy, but their 10" mattresses are $1750 for a queen with two free pillows. I am very interested in purchasing latex pillows anyways so this would be an added expense if I purchase the PLB Nature.
I am still leaning more towards the feel of the PLB mattresses. I have read all over these forums people trying to get the feel of the PLB mattresses. I couldn’t find much on your thoughts of Talalay GL used in the PLB mattresses. I like the “Active Fusion” in the PLB mattresses that I tried. It has a completely different feel than my Dunlop topper that I have, which I think may be too firm to have as a whole mattress.

One last thing, I saw others talking about adding a softer layer under their mattress to get that PLB feel that they have in the show room. Do you think this would be possible with our Dunlop topper added underneath, if the Nature ended up being too firm.

If you prefer the feeling of talalay, then stick with that. Spindle (at this point) only sells dunlop. Talalay and Dunlop have a different feel. When you are dealing with this amount of money and the differences between mattresses are small, get what works best for you. If you prefer the Dunlop, then just call Neal and he’ll get you set up.

My comments were just that there are several great options and you don’t need to panic.

I doubt that it would feel exactly the same, but I imagine it would soften the mattress some and give you another option to play with.

Hi rocket29,

Just to add to jankdc’s great advice about choosing what works (and feels) best for you …

There would be several reasons for this. One would be that the mattress under a topper (or the materials under the top layers of a mattress) will have an effect on how it feels, one would be that the softness and thickness of a layer will affect how it feels, and finally, Dunlop and Talalay are both high quality materials but they are different versions of latex and have a different feel as well (see post #7 here).

Spindle still carries their 7" Blue Shoal mattress here. They use 100% natural continuous pour Dunlop in their mattresses but don’t currently offer Talalay latex.

No … this is something that retail stores do all the time either because they want to replace them or because they are changing the mattress lines they carry. As long as a store is open about the fact that it is a used floor model then outside of the pros and cons of purchasing a floor model and how someone feels about buying a mattress that others have used … it wouldn’t be an issue.

[quote]I would also keep in mind that you can always add some additional softness and pressure relief to a mattress that is too firm by adding a topper but there are no great ways to “fix” a mattress that is too soft.

This is one of my main concerns now. I won’t be able to go to the store again with my partner until this Wednesday. I think the Nature would ultimately be better because additional softness can be added if it is too firm. Ultimately I am completely confused.[/quote]

Both mattresses use the same material and Talalay latex is a high quality material so durability wouldn’t be an issue with either one but I would make sure that you do some careful and objective testing (using the testing guidelines) with both of you on the mattress before buying any mattress since this is the most effective way to decide which one is the best match for you in terms of PPP.

I wasn’t suggesting that you consider either mattress that I linked and both manufacturers have many other options … I only linked them to give an example that outside of PPP … the “value” of a mattress depends on how it compares to other similar mattresses that use similar materials and not on the amount of the discount compared to a regular selling price.

Yes … most manufacturing defect show up early in the life of a mattress (the first year or two would be the most common). I don’t know how old the floor models are and floor models aren’t usually used for the same amount of time as a mattress that you sleep on regularly at home so a defect may take longer to show up in a floor model than a mattress that you sleep on at home.

Talalay GL fast response is just blended Talalay latex with a phase change gel added to it which can have a “slight” effect on the sleeping temperature of the mattress (see post #5 here) It used to be called Celsion latex.

It would certainly be possible but your sleeping experience would be the best judge of whether it would improve the mattress or make it worse in terms of PPP.

Phoenix

Hey guys! I just wanted to provide an update. I took my partner back to the store last evening with me. We laid on both mattresses for 15 minutes, 2 or 3 different times. We preferred the Beautiful. Unfortunately the same sales associate said she quoted us the wrong price and it was $1849.50 instead of $1549.50. We were both completely put off that the price jumped $300. As if taking two different box springs wasn’t enough of a compromise. We decided to leave. The kicker is then she called after speaking with the owner saying they could do the lower price.
I already had a bad taste in my mouth so I decided not to purchase.
So I read a lot more about sleep ez and since Phoenix seems to highly recommend them on multiple threads I took the plunge. They were extremely helpful on the phone and I was able to order a softer top (19 ILD) instead of their usual soft of 22-24 ILD. I decided to go with split medium and split firm for the second and third layer in case we preferred to arrange our sides differently. Their medium is firmer than the middle layer of the beautiful and natural so I hope that’s not a problem.

In the end I liked that they offered a stretch cover for a similar feel to the PLB . We got two free latex pillows (shredded latex) which I hope are very similar to the PLB pillows we tried yesterday. The comfort exchange and 90 full refund are added benefits.

I really wish I could get the Talalay GL fast latex like in the top layer of the PLB mattresses. But I read on here that the temperature benefits aren’t that much better.

Any idea where to purchase this Talalay GL fast response if I decide to add this on?

I really appreciate your help. My parents and sister are now both considering a latex mattress. They are using me as a guinea pig.

Hi rocket29,

Thanks for the update … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think highly of SleepEZ and the quality and value of their mattresses and it seems to me that you made a great choice. I hope you have the chance to share your feedback when you receive it.

Yes … the temperature benefits would be “slight” because Talalay is already one of the most breathable foam materials but if you do wish to purchase a Talalay GL fast response layer or topper then the component post here includes two sources that supply any of the materials that Latex International makes (KTT Enterprises and Sleep Like a Bear).

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix for creating this incredibly detailed and helpful site!!. I am now sleeping quite eclectically…On the bottom an old box spring, then a Spindle soft old synthetic Dunlop 3inch then an old twin mattress 24/7 mattresses dunlop firm, then a new talalay blended Radium soft (19 ILD) 3 inch from latex toppers and on top an old medium blended 3 inch talalay from mattress 24/7, all twin . This happened after hours on your site checking out the suggestions to put a soft layer on the bottom and mixing up the layers. I am getting rid of the box spring and wanting a full sized bed, I am ordering a Blue Shoal from Neal at Spindle and will put a soft layer under and above. I am a side sleeper, 5’9"; the biggest dip is not my large hips but where I pull my legs up. I had a lot of back and neck discomfort until I tried this combo.Prior to that, I was sleeping on Costco memory foam queen size (a gift) but it was painful. So thank you!! And I will let you know how it sleeps.

Hi maidenwrist,

I switched your post to a new topic of its own because it’s a “unique” subject.

You truly are sleeping on an “eclectic” mattress with an unusual mix of “layers” but it’s great to see that it’s working so well for you … and I appreciate your feedback.

As you know I think very highly of Neal and Spindle and you are certainly making a high quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive your new mattress as well.

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix,

Thank you for your interest! Yes Neal really is a shining example of great customer service: integrity combined with expert knowledge. He is so ethical in fact that he talked me out of ordering(!) until I had tried sleeping without the queen box on the bottom. He said the box definitely changes the feel and as I am lying on it now w/o the springs I see and feel that he is so (unfortunately) correct. It does not feel good. Back to the drawing board. Neal suggested firm and soft Dunlop in the Blue Shoal which I hadn’t thought of but I will consult with him again before I order. t will perhaps try to buy a full box springs to emulate my eclecticism. And I will let you know how it goes since you so kindly asked!

Maidenswrist