Is this Macy's mattress overpriced?

First, I love this website! What a great source of information in an industry full of ambiguity.

I’ve read most of the sticky threads and first shopped around the major department stores and national chains. One Queen I liked in particular is called the Beautyrest Teagan Plush for $1,100 (didn’t negotiate yet) which is similar to their older model from last year (I’m sure it’s largely the same thing). How can I compare this model’s soft/firmness and buy something more comparable online? If anything I wouldn’t mind going a step or two firmer but it was very comfortable…just a bit more than I think it’s worth.

Hi jquwer1,

There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover, layer thicknesses, layer firmnesses, and overall design (which would be very unlikely) then there really isn’t a way to match one mattress to another one in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or what you will feel on a mattress based on the specifications of the mattress.

Mattress manufacturers generally try to differentiate their mattress from the mattresses made by other manufacturers and don’t normally try to “match” another mattress that is made by a different manufacturer so while you may find similar mattresses that use “similar” materials or designs and there would be other mattresses that are in a similar general category (see this article) … unless a manufacturer or retailer specifically says in their description of a mattress that a similar mattress in the same general category is designed to “match” or “approximate” another one in terms of firmness or “feel” (or they are very familiar with both mattresses and can provide reliable guidance about how they compare based on the “averages” of a larger group of people) then the only reliable way to know if a mattress will feel similar to you would be based on your own personal testing or your actual sleeping experience.

If you have the specifications of all the materials and layers in both mattresses you are comparing (see this article) then making durability comparisons based on the specs of both mattresses is simpler and more reliable but the durability of the materials in a mattress has very little to do with how if feels or performs because a mattress that uses lower quality and less durable materials (like the major brands) can feel the same or very similar to a mattress that uses higher quality and more durable materials in a showroom or when it is still relatively new … it just won’t last as long.

I would also keep in mind that “feel” is so subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, individual circumstances, sensitivities and preferences, or what someone is used to sleeping on and is using as a reference point, that two mattresses that feel the same to one person can feel very different to someone else.

That doesn’t mean that there aren’t other mattresses that would be just as good or even better in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) as a mattress that you are using as your reference point … only that they will generally use different combinations of materials and components and if they don’t have the same design then they may not have the same “feel” and you may prefer one mattress over the other.

Outside of PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. Again … this is the part of your research that you can’t “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to confirm that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

The major brands (Sealy, Simmons, Serta) all tend to use lower quality materials in their mattresses (in the comfort layers especially) which will generally soften and break down much more quickly than mattresses that are made by many smaller manufacturers that use higher quality and more durable materials in their design and that are in similar or better budget ranges. I would avoid the major brands along with any mattress that uses lower quality materials or that either can’t or won’t identify the type and quality of the materials they use (see the guidelines here).

In other words … the short answer to your question is that I would avoid the mattress you are considering (or any mattress that doesn’t meet the quality/durability specs I linked) completely regardless of any price you are able to negotiate.

Phoenix

Thanks for the detailed answer. How do I find local manufacturer and outlet stores in northern NJ? I visited afew stores which had the local town name in front of “mattress store” but they mostly only carried the same brands as sleepys and Macy’s anyways.

A lot of the on-line mattress companies (Listed on this site) have trial periods over 60 days and will refund your $$ in full if you don’t want to keep the mattress. I believe sleeping on a mattress is a much better way to figure out what you want than testing inside a store for 10 minutes then having them send you one from a warehouse (Which may feel different). And you never really know what is inside the store-bought mattress; so, you are taking a risk each and every time you buy a new one!
I wouldn’t buy a car without knowing exactly what type engine is under the hood and I feel the same way about the materials used to make a mattress.
Best Regards.

Hi jqwer1,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Monroe Township/Newark, NJ. region (subject to making sure that any specific mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #7 here.

If you are in a different area then if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

As jefmoody mentioned there are also many good online options available as well and the tutorial includes several links to lists of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step).

Phoenix

How about anywhere an hour from 07746? This site is great, is there any way I can donate?

Hi jqwer1,

Outside of the list I linked … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Red Bank area (which would include Marlborough Township) are listed in post #2 here.

There is a somewhat “hidden” paypal donation button here which I added because of several requests. I made it less visible so that the people on the site realize that donations are not in any way necessary … but a small donation is certainly appreciated for those who wish to do so :slight_smile:

Phoenix