Island Dream

Hey there. New member here. I’ve been a lurker for a while now. I’ve spent a lot of time reading many many posts and topics, but its been a while and I’ve forgotten most of what I’ve “learned.” :S
While I refresh my memory with the massive amount of information of the site, I figured I’d ask a few questions.
What is the general consensus about the Island Dream brand on the site? I found maybe two threads about this brand, both of which don’t include much information. Is this generally a brand one should stay away from?
What about PostureLoft?
The reason I ask is because I think I’ve landed on one of these two for my next purchase:
https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Island-Dreams-Wailea-10-inch-Twin-XL-size-Gel-Memory-Foam-Mattress/9513788/product.html?refccid=2XRU6ZBTZXI2SACK4F5ETI5VUQ&searchidx=10

Would either of these two be anything anybody would recommend? There’s a reason why they’re so cheap, no?
My requirements for a bed really isn’t much. I’ll be moving into my van in the next couple of weeks. I’ll be renting out my house and living in a van full time. A bug has bit me and I’m really wanting to be a van dweller for a little while, thus durability isn’t entirely much of a concern. I wouldn’t care if the mattress doesn’t last much more than a year although it would be great if it did, as I would be able to use it in the guest bed room when I move back into a house. I initially was concerned about heat retention (it still is a concern), but really, next thing you know, its about to be winter and I’ll be much more concerned about being warm enough while sleeping in a van, which I can mitigate, obviously, with a heater. But I digress…
I’m 6’ tall, roughly 176 lbs. I fluctuate between 168-182 when training, but 174-6 is pretty much where I stay.
At this point, I’m more concerned about getting a good, or dare I say great night’s sleep for the amount of time I’ll actually be in the van. I’m a side sleeper, I have suffered a broken hip, and have shoulder, and knee pain(racing motorcycles, car accidents, and triathlons). I sleep with a body pillow, and hold that bad boy tight and between my legs as if my life depended on it. My hip hurts if I don’t. I don’t know if that matters, just figured I’d throw it out there.

Of the two, I would say I’m leaning towards the Island Dreams, simply because it lists the density of the foam, The specs say 3 inches worth of 4 lb memory with a 7 inch foam based core.

Has anybody here tried either of these? Could anyone comment, or even speculate on the sleep quality these might be able to provide? I’m starting to train again, and I surely need a solid night’s rest within this next year or so.

For foundation, I’m anticipating building a frame out of 2x4’s with storage underneath and a thick piece of plywood to make a platform for the mattress. I’ll be drilling holes in the plywood for ventilation. Good, eh? Or nah…?

Any input including “you’re nuts dude” is appreciated. lol
And of course, if both of those are unquestionably bad ideas, could you recommend something decent, but cheap!? I’m absolutely not set on foam, or anything in particular for that matter, I’m guessing no waterbeds though, due to weight and I assume they’ll get too cold in the winter.

Thank you!

Hi ThisGuy,

[quote]What is the general consensus about the Island Dream brand on the site? I found maybe two threads about this brand, both of which don’t include much information. Is this generally a brand one should stay away from?
What about PostureLoft?[/quote]

I would be very cautious about brand shopping in general because you are buying a specific mattress not the brand and most manufacturers have access to the same or similar components and materials. Many manufacturers make a wide range of mattresses that can vary from lower quality and less durable materials to higher quality and more durable materials in a wide range of prices. The name of the manufacturer on the label or the price of the mattress won’t tell you anything about whether a specific mattress is suitable for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or whether there are any lower quality materials or weak links in the design that would affect the durability and useful life of the mattress. There is more about the risks of brand shopping in post #5 here and post #12 here.

In other words I would assess whether a specific mattress would make a suitable choice for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP … that uses materials that are durable enough for your weight/BMI range … and that meets all the other parts of your personal value equation that are important to you on a “mattress by mattress” basis rather than on a “brand by brand” basis.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While again nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

The Island Dreams Wailea does say that it uses a 3" layer of 4 lb gel memory foam which would be a suitable density in your BMI range but it doesn’t mention the density of the polyfoam base layer so I would want to know this before before considering it.

The PostureLoft doesn’t mention any specs about the foam layers so I would make sure you find out the thickness and density of all of the foam layers before considering it.

Without knowing the type and thickness and density of all the foam layers in a mattress it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about the quality or durability of either either of them.

I would also keep in mind that Overstock doesn’t allow any returns on their mattresses so if you purchase a mattress from them and don’t sleep well on it then you are plain out of luck and the only options you would have would be to add a topper (if it’s too firm because a topper won’t help a mattress that is too soft) or sell it again to someone else at a greatly reduced price and start all over again.

Warranties are also useless with a mattress in this budget range because it would cost you more to ship it back for a warranty claim than the mattress costs in the first place so adding any length of warranty on an online mattress in this budget range is just about about marketing and has nothing to do with the quality, durability, or useful life of the mattress.

I would also be very cautious about the accuracy of the listings on Overstock.

[quote]Would either of these two be anything anybody would recommend? There’s a reason why they’re so cheap, no?

At this point, I’m more concerned about getting a good, or dare I say great night’s sleep for the amount of time I’ll actually be in the van. I’m a side sleeper, I have suffered a broken hip, and have shoulder, and knee pain(racing motorcycles, car accidents, and triathlons). I sleep with a body pillow, and hold that bad boy tight and between my legs as if my life depended on it. My hip hurts if I don’t. I don’t know if that matters, just figured I’d throw it out there.[/quote]

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Again I would avoid any mattress where you don’t know the specifics of the materials and components inside it and I would also be very cautious about any online purchase that doesn’t have an exchange/return policy if it’s not suitable for you to sleep on unless you can either sleep on anything or you are confident that the mattress would be a suitable choice for you because there is little value in a mattress that you don’t sleep well on regardless of what you pay for it.

The “bottom line” is that a mattress purchase from overstock would be a very risky purchase unless you have tried the mattress in person and you also know the type and quality/density of all the materials and components inside it. I would personally look at Amazon before I considered buying anything from Overstock because they at least have a 30 day return policy (although there can be costs involved in returning a mattress on Amazon).

I would personally be cautious using plywood for a platform bedframe because it can bend and warp and even with holes it won’t provide great ventilation under the mattress and if the plywood has any moisture in it then it can create mold or mildew issues … particularly if you are in a humid environment.

There is more information about the different types of support systems (bedframes and foundations or platform beds) that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses and some examples of each of them in post #1 here. Some of the wire grid platform bedframes would probably be worth considering in your budget range and circumstances and there are also some DIY platform bed designs that may be worthwhile considering as well.

[quote]Any input including “you’re nuts dude” is appreciated. lol
And of course, if both of those are unquestionably bad ideas, could you recommend something decent, but cheap!? I’m absolutely not set on foam, or anything in particular for that matter, I’m guessing no waterbeds though, due to weight and I assume they’ll get too cold in the winter.[/quote]

While again it’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for all the reasons I’ve mentioned in this reply and your budget range is also very low even for a mattress that uses reasonably good quality materials … outside of any local options that may be available to you if you are only considering online choices then some of the better quality/value lower budget online options I’m aware of (less than $600 in queen size) are listed at the end of post #4 here although some of them are priced higher than your budget range.

A futon mattress may also be worth considering because they tend to be in lower budget ranges but once again the only way to know how well you will sleep on any mattress or futon will be based on your own careful testing or your own personal experience. While it’s certainly not a complete list … there are some sources for futons in post #2 here that may also be helpful.

Phoenix

Great info. Thanks for your reply.

I asked on the site to see if they could provide the density of all the layers in those two mattresses. I doubt they’ll answer, but here’s for hoping.

I will read all of the links you provided tomorrow at work… Thanks for that

I haven’t had good luck with futons in the past, I was considering it, but I just don’t think they’ll do the trick. They’re just too hard (that’s what she said).

I don’t really have a budget. I can spend whatever I want. I mentioned cheap, really because I don’t know if spending $5-600 or more on a mattress would be worth it for the amount of time I will be using it. I thought maybe there would be a happy medium with regards to cost and durability. Maybe something that will give a brother a good nights sleep, but may end up breaking down in a few months or so, to a year. You know what I mean? Kinda like how you buy laminate flooring at 50 cents per square feet, but in not so long, you’ll be replacing it. Or you can get some oak hardwood flooring, and with a good installation, it’ll last a lifetime. But you can walk on them both, ya feel me?

But it seems like I’m comparing apples to chocolate chips cookies, because oranges may be too similar.

Hi ThisGuy,

I would always pay attention to the quality and durability of the materials in any mattress you are considering and make sure that they meet the minimum suggestions in the durability guidelines for your weight/BMI range (or at least are as close as possible to the minimums for shorter term use) because low quality materials will tend to soften and break down more quickly which can result in the more rapid loss of the comfort and support that was the reason you purchased a mattress in the first place. With a mattress that uses low quality materials it may not take as long as you would hope for (sometimes only a year or two) before you are no longer sleeping well on a mattress that you were sleeping well on at first … even if the mattress would still be “tolerable”. In other words … better quality and more durable materials will stay closer to their original level of comfort and support for longer periods of time.

There are a very wide range of futons available on the market that use the same or similar materials as mattresses and they aren’t just the old style of cotton futons any longer. They also come in a very wide range of firmness levels.

It would probably be worth it if there was a significant difference in how well you slept on the mattress for the time you are using it (how well you sleep is the most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase) and it probably wouldn’t be if there wasn’t much difference.

There may also be some local options available to you that you could test and compare in person before a purchase and if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or at least “possibilities” I’m aware of in your area.

“Risk management” is part of any purchase decision and like anything else that involves risk there is no way to know or quantify what the specific risk would be with any specific choice without the benefit of hindsight sop the best you can do is “tilt the odds” as much in your favor as possible.

I don’t know if you play or not but a good analogy would be playing poker where you ask someone “will I win” if you have AA in the hole and the answer would be “the odds are in your favor” and if you have 2-7 offsuit in the hole the answer would be “the odds are against you” but anyone that has ever played poker will know that even though the odds will always even out based on the “averages” of many hands over a long period of time … there will always be some especially frustrating hands that are exceptions and the final result may not always be what the odds “point to” for any specific hand.

Phoenix

I live west of Atlanta: 30126, and work north of Atlanta, 30071. I’m willing to travel a bit if needed if you think there are some places worth taking a trip to.

So far your amazon recommendation is working out for me. Idk why I didn’t think of that.

Hi ThisGuy,

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your specific criteria and the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Atlanta, GA area are listed in post #2 here.

I don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses or their specs that the retailers and manufacturers in the hundreds of forum lists throughout the forum carry on their floor or have available online (it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market) but checking their websites and making some preliminary phone calls to the retailers/manufacturers that are on the lists is always a good idea before you decide on which retailers or manufacturers you wish to deal with anyway. This will tell you which of them carry mattresses that would meet your specific criteria, are transparent about the materials in their mattresses, and that carry the type of mattresses that you are interested in that are also in the budget range you are comfortable with. Once you have checked their websites and/or talked with the ones that interest you then you will be in a much better position to decide on the ones that you are most interested in considering or visiting based on the results of your preliminary research and conversations.

Phoenix

So, I guess it’s time to circle back around. I’m moving back into a house, that I’m currently remodeling. I should be done within the next 3 weeks or so. Overall I’d say the van dwelling experience was a complete success. Totally recommend it.
But, anyway, I ended up getting this mattress:
Dreamfoam Bedding
Arctic Dreams 10" Cooling Gel Mattress Made in the USA, Twin XL
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N64DRXZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got it in the 10" Twin XL size for a platform I built inside the van. Overall, I would say it is the best mattress I have ever had. I have 0 complaints whatsoever. I have a bad injury on my right hip and shoulder. I hadn’t been able to sleep on my right side for years. With this mattress I found myself waking up in the morning while laying on my right side. I would usually be woken up by the pain if I ever shifted to my right side while asleep.
The mattress is quite simply impressive, to put it lightly, especially considering the price. Even if only lasts me 2-3 years, I would still keep buying them just because of how well I sleep on this bed.
I like it so much, I’ve just ordered another one for the master bedroom in the California King size. This time 12". If anyone cares, I can come back and leave another review for that one.

If anyone reading this is on the fence about dreamfoam matress, go ahead and hop, and get over it.

Hi ThisGuy,

Thanks again for the update on your Arctic Dreams. I’m happy that it worked out well for you, as did the “van experience”.

Phoenix