Issues with Select Foam

I ordered a Select Foam Mattress after reading some good things here and reviews on their site. I ordered the Cirrus Supreme with foundation.

I’ve received my bed and the website still says “processing”. That should be a clue they have some difficulties. I’ve tried to contact them via email, phone, and form on their site and have yet to receive a response thus far.

I’ve only slept 5 days on my new mattress, but it is very uncomfortable. In no way does it feel like they Tempur they compare it to. It feels squishy on top with absolutely no support and very little contour. I know that mattress have to break in, but this did not feel right at all. I lifted the cover to take a look a the foam layers and what I have is NOT what is described on the website. The website described construction as 2" of 4lb and 2" of 5.3 lb foams. My mattress has a nylon cover sewn over but I can feel the seams. I have 1" of the top layer and 3" of the next layer on top of the foundation. I don’t know the density of these foams, but the depth of the layers certainly isn’t correct… My wife had a bed in the box foam bed from a department store that had more comfort and support.

Also, now as I click through the website trying to figure out how to initiate a return I find out that that I cannot return the foundation. What am I going to do with an extra foundation? The foundation has 4.25" between slats, which doesn’t even seem like enough support for a memory foam mattress in the first place. If they don’t take my foundation I likely will work on a charge back with my credit card company.

Overall I am extremely dissatisfied with my experience there and thought I’d leave a note here since they are one of your recommended companies.

Hi SmClaudia,

There will be a break in and adjustment period with any new mattress over the course of the first few weeks (see post #3 here) and “comfort” is also subjective so it’s not unusual that a mattress that feels similar to another one for some people will feel different for others.

More importantly though I would read the warning posted here because the difference in the layering and some of their other ongoing issues would certainly be a cause for concern.

Foundations aren’t normally included in a return policy but your foundation would be suitable for use with any other memory foam mattress. A credit card chargeback for the foundation may not be approved since it was delivered and their return policy states that it doesn’t include foundations.

Thanks for sharing your experience … I appreciate it (although they are no longer a member of this site).

Phoenix

Okay, I haven’t checked here for a few weeks but have to say I am seriously bummed about this company and what is happening. I had ordered a mattress from Loom and Leaf and looked here asking questions. Due to comments about the quality of the product, I cancelled my order and looked at the list of members here that were recommended. I ordered a Select Foam based on the description and comparison to Tempurpedic but mostly their standing here. We had some issues with shipping but got the mattress iin 3 weeks n a different cover. Company says they were switching covers and we got the top of the line. I really don’t like getting surprises. I have liked the mattress but I don’t think it feels at all like the Tempurpedic. Now I am worried that the foam is not what they promised. We are leaving for the winter months and do not have time to return the mattress if it does fail to be advertised. What do we do? Do I take the cover off and see what the layers look like? I would’t know 3 lb foam from an 8 lb foam. What on earth? I am pretty upset for sure. I think the Loom and Leaf was probably the better choice considering at least they are a good company. Please help me figure out what to do. We have another 30 days on our return, but we are leaving for 3 months on Tuesday.

After wrestling with our mattress, I was able to unzip the cover. I did measure 3" of gel foam and another 2" or so of memory foam plus the 8" of support foam. I have no idea what the density of these are. But I feel better about what I’m seeing. Personally I have loved the mattress. My husband feels like he is in a hole, but this is their softest mattress and he is heavier. I am going to stay tight for now and hope it holds up. My experience with the mattress has been really good. But the concerns about the company not so good. My neck and shoulder pain have all but disappeared since we got the mattress. I hate to see the negative comments here.

Hi Nene1957,

It’s good to see that the layer thicknesses are correct.

While only you can decide what you “should do” … the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase are PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) which is all about how well you sleep and durability which is all about how long you will sleep well.

In terms of suitability and PPP it sounds like you are sleeping well on your mattress so at least this part of the value of your mattress is good.

The most important factor in the durability If your mattress is the density of the memory foam and polyfoam. If your mattress has a law tag that includes the weight of the mattress (or if you were able to weigh the mattress) then it would be possible to compare the weight of the mattress to what it should be if the densities that are listed on their website are correct. If you can attach a picture of the law tag then I can do the calculations for you if you wish.

Phoenix

Here is the law tag, I think. 100 lbs.

Hi Nene1957,

For a king size …

The top 3" layer would be 76 x 80 x 3 / 1728 = 10.6 cubic feet and should weigh 10.6 x 4 lb density = 42.2 lbs

The next 1.5" layer would be 76 x 80 x 1.5 / 1728 = 5.3 cubic feet and should weigh 5.3 x 7.2 lb density = 38 lbs

They don’t list the density of the bottom 8" layer but assuming that it is at least 1.8 lb density then it would be 76 x 80 x 8 / 1728 = 28.1 cubic feet and should weigh 28.1 x 1.8 = 50.6 lbs

42.2 + 38 + 50.6 = 130.8 lbs is what the foam layers “should” weigh.

If the actual weight of the layers is 100.8 lbs (and it’s possible that this may not be correct) then the density of the foam layers would have to be lower than the densities that they list on their site for the numbers to add up.

Phoenix

Not close, is it? I’m contacting Fed Ex to see if they have a weight. I can’t weigh it. It is terribly heavy. I am not sure what else to do.

Hi Nene1957,

No, unfortunately it’s not. I could understand a 5% or even at most a 10% spec tolerance but the variance is much more than that.

You could also check with FXI here and explain your situation and ask them if they are confident that the weight on their law tags are correct.

Phoenix

I sent an email to FXI asking for the specs of the mattress they shipped to us. Since it came directly to use from them, I hope they disclose the specs. I’ve also contacted Fed Ex and they are supposed to get back to me on the shipping weight. What a drag. We leave Tuesday and won’t be able to do this til spring, which is past the return policy.

Hi Nene1957,

If you do decide to return the mattress perhaps it’s possible to have a friend be available at your home when they pick it up or perhaps move the mattress to a friend’s house where it can be picked up.

Phoenix

I think that is what we’ll have to do. Have the shipper come and meet someone at the house here for pickup. But it is a hassle for us I don’t want to move it. It is huge and heavy. I can’t imagine how they ship these back. This is heavier than our previous latex bed. It came rolled up and compressed. I love the comfort. But if it is inferior foam, it will be toast in no time. I am hoping the tag is wrong, but if not, I’ll deal with it…

Hi Nene1957,

They ship them back through a common carrier instead of a courier. I believe that you may need to get a mattress box (or possibly wrap it in plastic).

If it’s heavier than your previous latex mattress (and it really was an all latex mattress) then hopefully the tag is wrong because most all latex mattresses would weigh much more than 100 lbs.

Phoenix

I heard from Fed Ex. The box was 108 lbs. I have not heard back from FXI and cannot find a phone number listed anywhere. Perhaps you can help me? I am not sure what to do next. I can start the return process with Select based on the weight discrepancy but I will have to have someone come to the house for the pickup. I cannot ask my step daughter to handle this mattress, box it up or put it in plastic. It is horribly awkward and heavy. The thing is I really like the mattress but am afraid I got scammed. I wouldn’t have checked the tag except for the many complaints here. Comfort wise, it seems fine. But the weight is not close to what it should be. I was hoping FXI would provide the specs on this to me, but they don’t eve bother responding to my email.

Hi Nene1957,

They have a number of different locations but I don’t know which one yours came from and unfortunately I don’t know the phone number of any of them but if you do a google search on “FXI/foamex Media, PA phone” (you can just click the link) it will bring up the phone number of their corporate headquarters and perhaps they can steer you in the right direction.

Unfortunately they are also a wholesale supplier that generally only deals with manufacturers who would generally call the rep that they are dealing with so they may not have the fastest customer service for consumer inquiries.

Unfortunately this is something that only you can decide based on your circumstances and “best judgement” although I can tell you that I would personally be hesitant to keep a mattress where there was a serious question that the quality/density of the materials was very different from what I paid for.

Phoenix

Our mattress came from Fort Wayne, Indiana. And I do know it came directly from FXI to us. I saw the shipping tag. FXI is on the law tag as well. I was hoping FXI would disclose what the foam density is. I have another 6 weeks on my return policy but from what I read here, Select has been very bad at post purchase customer service. I will think it over. I am very upset because all the reviews and promises mean nothing, A company can say anything they want and there appears to be little recourse for consumers. I do believe there are consumer protection laws in place to protect consumers against unscrupulous businesses promising one thing and delivering another. How can you state specifically what the foam density is and then swap it for something grossly inferior? I don’t want to have to fight with them and we cannot box this up for shipment, nor do I think I should have to lift one finger other than open the door so they can pick it up. Ugh. Bummed out and frustrated as I spent so much time researching before purchasing. I was confident the product was excellent and not feel we got scammed.

Hi Nene1957,

A google search on fxi/foamex fort wayne, IN (you can just click the link) will bring up their phone number in Fort Wayne and hopefully they will provide the information that you need.

I can certainly understand your frustration and as you know I share it as well.

If you decide to return the mattress and you have any issues with a timely refund then you can initiate a dispute with your credit card. Along with your comments here you can also file a complaint with the better business bureau and with your state Attorney General’s office as well who are responsible for enforcing the consumer protection laws for each state.

They certainly used to use high quality/density memory foam and polyfoam in their mattresses and it would be great to find out and confirm that they still do but given some of the recent information that has come to light since they changed suppliers there is certainly good reason to doubt that they are still using the same quality/density materials in their mattresses.

Phoenix

PS: After your email to me I thought it would only be fair to add the results of your conversation with FXI to this topic who told you that their law tags were incorrect and that your mattress weighs 140 lbs which would put the shipping weight in line with the quality/density of the materials inside it so at least that is a reason for some optimism.

I want to update what is going on with the mattress situation. I contacted FXI and they are sure that the mattress should be closer to 140 lbs. However, I have also contacted FedEx and their records show the package weighed 106.2 lbs. I’ve gone back and forth and have no way of knowing without a scale. I did open the zipper, measured the layers and looked it over. It looks exactly like it should, measures exactly as it should But there is a discrepancy. FXI has been great in contacting me and returning calls, emails. They sent me a claim form and are willing to wait until March when we return from our winter vacation. They need photographs of the mattress layers, which I cannot provide until I return home. It appears that if there was a mess up, it was not Select Foam’s fault. I am confident after speaking with FXI, that they are very aware of the specs of the mattress we ordered and that the weight is off by a long shot. The mattress seems very heavy to me, but I have no way to know. I have to rely on Fed Ex since they actually weighed the mattress. I am going to contact Select Foam and let them know that I’ve been working with FXI. Our warranty and trial period is with Select, but FXI has stepped up and wants to make it right. They believe the mattress is correct but weight tells a different story. I can only say they have been great so far, I wish I was home, but we are gone and cannot do this until we return, a full 45 days after the 90 day trial period is over. This is more of a defect issue than anything as I really like the mattress. But 106 lbs for a king mattress for the Cirrus luxe is way off. And we want what we paid for. So FXI has been responding pronto and is working with me on it.

Hi Nene1957,

Thanks for the update.

While it’s good to see that FXI has been so helpful … it seems that there is still some uncertainty about the materials in your mattress. I would also keep in mind that Fedex sometimes just uses the listed weight provided by a shipper and doesn’t actually weigh the packages.

I’m looking forward to any additional updates and clarifications you have the chance to provide.

Phoenix